"Oldfart from Wayback"

Sheep Lake Trail/ Snowy Range, anyone ridden it?

"This "look's like" a great trail judging from topo's and NASA WorldWind 1M Ortho photo's. Has anyone tried it in either direction, Brooklyn Lk/ Sand Lk or vice versa ??"

I hate cross posting but was looking for a responce from "sgltrak" as he seems to be trying to ferret out the same sort of trails that I try .

slow
    OBD,
    Haven't been on Sheep Lake trail since I rode horseback up there as a kid. I believe that one heads northwest from Brooklyn Lake. I would be up for an exploration day up there, though. About a 90-100 minute drive from here.
    I did ride the North Fork trail from Brooklyn Lake to the North Fork campground on Sand Creek road last summer. Great ride, but kind of short. In order to make the ride a respectable length, we added several loops of the xc ski area trails and then a few loops at from the Corner Mtn trailhead before returning to camp in the Libby Creek campground.
    I don't know what conditions are like up there right now, but have contacts that are up there for the summer starting next week, so should be able to get the heads-up soon.

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Thanks, I haven't been up there for years !

Planning a recon trip sometime next week after the 4th.

I haven't been up there for years. I used to take my 'kids' up there 20-25 yrs ago, fishing, hiking, biking on the roads and marveled at the level tundra. I was last up there 5-6 years ago and SCUBA dived S Gap Lake after backpacking all my gear in. I'm looking for a new challenge.The WorldWind ortho photos "look" really good, but only tire to trail will tell.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    Planning a recon trip sometime next week after the 4th.

I haven't been up there for years. I used to take my 'kids' up there 20-25 yrs ago, fishing, hiking, biking on the roads and marveled at the level tundra. I was last up there 5-6 years ago and SCUBA dived S Gap Lake after backpacking all my gear in. I'm looking for a new challenge.The WorldWind ortho photos "look" really good, but only tire to trail will tell.
    Rock Creek trail is cool also, 12mi of singletrack. Can be done as a shuttle or a loop but loop requires about 16mi of dirt road to get to the top.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

slow
    OBD,
    Any idea hohw long a ride you would be looking at if you were to park at the North Fork campground and ride Sand Lake road up to Sand Lake, and then return via Sheep Creek and North Fork trail?
    MW

"Oldfart from Wayback"

If my sources are correct, ~ 30.5 mi.

The "latest" USFS site lists Sheep Lk as 7.8 mi, but other sources call it 8.2, N Fork is listed as 4.4 Mi and the road milage from N Frk CG is 18 mi..