Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Notorious S.L.O

? on sharing the trail w/horses

so, what should you do when you are traveling the same direction as a horse on the trail?
    Chances are, that you are almost always traveling faster than the horse.

I grabbed a lunch ride today at Meyer's Ranch in Aspen Park. I noticed the horse trailer in the parking lot, so I knew that horses would be on the trail. I came up on them on the way down, I saw them at least 50+ yards in the distance, slowed down to a crawl, and from about 20 yards back, asked "may I pass?" to which the response was " I wouldn't reccomend it".
    hmmm, not exactly a response that I anticiapted.

I contined to pace the horse, staying about 20 yards behind, as the trail got tighter, I was starting to realize that I may have to stay behind them for the duration.
    After a few minutes, the rear rider that had responded earlier, shouted to the front rider, "he wants to pass, so I guess we have to get out of his way", in which I detected a bit of attitude.
    The front rider said that there was no place to pull over. I said" no rush, I want to do what is safe for you and your horse"
    few minutes later, they pulled over at a small overlook area, I dismounted and walked past the horses, apologized for the inconveince and thanked them for letting me pass.

So, a couple of questions:
    What is the best way to annouce yourself so that you can pass the slower animals?
    As the rules state, Mtn bikers have to yeild to all other trail users, do we even have a right to request a pass?

Thanks.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You did the right thing. They have a responsibility as a user of a multi-use trail to allow you to pass at a safe point.

When I'm coming up on slower trail users I'll usually slow down like you did then announce myself with a friendly "Up behind you" - then the ball's completely in their court to figure out what they're going to do. 99% of the time they stop and let me by or tell me "give me a minute to find a good place to let you pass."

The other 1% of the time they don't acknowledge my greeting - which is a complete azzhole move... unless they're deaf. And iPods in the ears don't count. Fvcking oblivious morons.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Is euthanasia on the table? Lead poisoning? Death therapy?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    So, a couple of questions:
    What is the best way to annouce yourself so that you can pass the slower animals?
    As the rules state, Mtn bikers have to yeild to all other trail users, do we even have a right to request a pass?
    You should never attempt to pass. As a biker you should stop, bow in homage to their natural majesty and offer to ride behind them to pick up the glorious horse apples they'll drop every 20 feet.

I think that's pretty close the USFS rulebook..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    All I know is I just want equal right of the horse-back riders.

So when ever I pass the stables at Palmer Park I take a dump so the horses have to step in it. Just like I have to ride over their crap.

What does horse taste like?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by limesoda71
    It tastes like Victory!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    The other 1% of the time they don't acknowledge my greeting - which is a complete azzhole move... unless they're deaf. And iPods in the ears don't count. Fvcking oblivious morons.
    One of those little bottled air horns might be a good camelback accessory. Guaranteed to get their attention and will probably take care of the horses as well.

mtbr member
    That was lame of them. Screw those lazy bastards. I say let the horses roam free to do hit some drops and tabletops.

Reprocessed hay my arse. I don't care. It's still a pile of crap.
    Yield to downhill

mtbr member

hot dogs

btadlock, kudos to you for your patience in taking the high road.

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Inflexable...
    Chicken...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    btadlock, kudos to you for your patience in taking the high road.
    I agree with gotdirt, BT, great job trying to coexist. We're already losing trails all over the state to the hiking/horsing crowd - the more friends we make (or try to) the better.

In some places where there's lots of traffic, those handlebar bells work well. I'm not talking about the big monstrosities that look like bathtub toys or bellboy summoners. Just a small "ding" usually does the trick and people appreciate the courtesy (except for those idiots listening to i-tunes on the trail - for them, maybe a blast from an airhorn IS the answer. That or pepperspray...)

E

friend of Apex
    I like wearing my iShuffle, but no one is really ever passing me. I have a big bell on the handle bar, seems to work just fine for the horses/hikers/gapers. (Nothing against them, I dont even mind the horse poo all that much, another fun obstacle) But the horse owners do seem to have issue with bikers no matter the situation. Never really had a great experience goin around a horse. The horseback riders seem to be the ones pushing the 'close the trail to bikes' issue, and they seem to cause more damage to the trail. Hmmm
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 08-31-2007 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    The BF and I were cruising down Belcher Hill at White Ranch last Saturday and got behind a line of horses that were heading down, too. I think there were about 10 of them. We thought we'd have to wait until we got to the bottom to get by them, cuz the lower part of the trail is pretty narrow. When he saw us the guy in front said "wait till the trail widens up ahead and we'll get out of your way". Then they did. We rode by and said thanks. Everyone was polite and reasonable and a good time was had by all.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    I just keep my mouth shut. Literally. Ever had Giardia?

Plus I don't want to irk any horseback riders and I see so few it's not worth speechifying at them about trail etiquitte, the damage they do to muddy trails, or the bacteria bombs they leave. You did the right thing IMO. Just be nice and try not to spook them. They usually get way off the trail if you let them know you're behind and want to pass.

Shattering Glass
    Whatever the case, make sure you let them know how ignorant and non courteous of them to let those farm animals shart the trail. I do. Kind of puts the ball in your court.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    Kind of puts the ball in your court.
    Kill yourself.... or stop mtbing

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member

quiet, polite, and make weird ass noises....

I am getting hungry for some GLUE. And Equine burgers, I really love wild horses so much and they have no business on our trails. If they do not adhere to the "leave no trace" philosophy, we should be allowed to eat em - I like mine seared and med in the midlands.

Approach politely, if they do not provide reasonable opportunity for you to go by....weird noises and all might spook em enough that the rider will allow you to pass.

RESPECT...leave no sign, or stay off the rails..
    C.SPRINGS

lucky enough

Let's have some respect...

...for animals that helped us populate the west. Wild horses made the trails I first started riding on. Issues are really with the riders - just like dog owners - I mean guardians. . Some are clueless - let their undisciplined dogs run free or don't train their horse not to shy at everything. .But most are reasonable and will let you pass when they can. I think you handled it well.
    And of course we have idiots in the mtb world as well. Comments about glue and eating equine just show immaturity. Give respect and you will get respect.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member

I'll Be Legal To Vote In A Few Years....

...or so Dad keeps reminding me. In the interim it seems that slave labor, disease infested blankets gifted to native peoples, and proactive thinking did the most to help us populate the west. I do indeed respect native peoples but the disease infested blankets...no.... and Slavery... no not for me thanks!

I welcome wild horses anywhere, but domestic horses driven by pukes who do not respect the trails are not in that class, nay even the same solar system.

Yes I am immature, but even now I am hungry and the thought of glue and burgers makes my tummy excited. Why is it a crime to eat horses and not cows?
    C.SPRINGS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    Yes I am immature, but even now I am hungry and the thought of glue and burgers makes my tummy excited. Why is it a crime to eat horses and not cows?
    You EAT glue?
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by CSPRINGS
    Why is it a crime to eat horses and not cows?
    Actually, it's quite common to eat horsey in many developed countries. Just too strong of a beef lobby in the good ole USA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Actually, it's quite common to eat horsey in many developed countries. Just too strong of a beef lobby in the good ole USA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat
    I don't think it has anything to do with the beef lobby - cows and horses often co-habitate on the same ranch. I think it's that most Americans view horses as being a partner to be counted on as is a dog. They have some measure of intelligence. Thus they develop feelings for them as a pet. I don't think people view cows as pets. The French do eat horse, though. And the Chinese and Koreans will eat all kinds of things, including dog.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    I don't think it has anything to do with the beef lobby - cows and horses often co-habitate on the same ranch. I think it's that most Americans view horses as being a partner to be counted on as is a dog. They have some measure of intelligence. Thus they develop feelings for them as a pet. I don't think people view cows as pets. The French do eat horse, though. And the Chinese and Koreans will eat all kinds of things, including dog.
    And the aussies eat cats!

Pretty much all of Europe eats horse IIRC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK, to bring the back on topic....

You did exactly what you should have done, especially by getting off your bike and walking past the horses. Thank you!

Horses (unless they have been around a lot of biking) see bicyclists as predators, we're low to the ground, fast and quiet, so most likely we're going to eat them. By getting off the bike and walking the horse can more easily recognize you as a human that just happens to be pushing some weird thing (like humans do quite often). Also be careful following, if you get too close you could spook the horse, and cause someone to fall. Although I understand the concept of being in control of your horse, I also know that not everyone is as good at controlling their horse as they should be, and even expert riders can get caught off guard. I have a friend that got a brain injury because her horse spooked as some bicyclists went past her unexpectedly (road mind you, but the end result would be the same, and she fell into the ditch, not on the road). Bottom line is be extra courteous and you will be well received. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FmrCmtr
    Horses (unless they have been around a lot of biking) see bicyclists as predators
    My funnies encounter with a horse and rider went like this...

Me climbing up a dirt road on my bike. Horse is actually 3 yards off the trail in the meadow. So it is save to pass. I do the usual friendly communication and cycle away. About a minute later I hear that thump-thump of a horse at full canter. "He simply does not like to be overtaken" shouts the rider. Not sure she was in control... More like hanging on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast