Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Now older but less slow!

Shame on you LBS

Now I'm all for supporting your LBS but sometimes they just don't help the cause.

I was just finishing a bike build and found that I did not have enough cable housing to get a full run to the rear.

I went down to my LBS to get some housing. They wanted to know how much. I don't know so I say 8 ft to be on the safe side.

Bill came to a little over $24. What? Oh it's $3 per foot. You have to be shitting me! Later I found out it was not even the Shimano SIS I wanted but rather Jagwire.

I put up with this extortion because I needed the housing today. However at home I found I could get 10m (33ft) of Shimano XTR housing, delivered Tuesday, for $25. So per ft that is about 1/4 th the price.

Now I know LBS need to make profit but this mark up is just a blatant rip off.

One time I have had good service there but every other time I have left the shop with a sour taste in my mouth. This is the last straw. So Louisville Cyclery I won't be shopping at your store again.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Too funny! But I'm laughing with you, not AT you. We've both been hosed! I had an identical experience just about a week ago. Finishing a build on a Giant HT that I set up to for training on the road. Decided I'd put new cable and housing on the front and rear derailleur so I popped into the LBS. I got 5' of off-brand black housing and 2 simple shifter cables and it cost me $30!

Like you, I could have (should have) waited and run up to Art's Cyclery 20 minutes north or just gone online. I felt dirty for going in the LBS as I wrote them off a few years ago after taking in my Enduro Comp numerous times for adjustments and tune up only to have it untouched and in the identical condition when getting it back. I guess this was just a reaffirmation of past experience. I'd love to be able to run down to my LBS to pick up the odds and ends I need in a hurry to finish projects but I'd go broke doing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I got tired of paying stupid prices for cables and housing, too. The last time I needed them I went to REI. They sell a kit for a brake or derailleur cable redo that includes cables, housing, ferrules and cable ends that is way cheaper than buying the stuff ala carte. The cables are Jagwire. The amount of housing is more than adequate.

mtbr member
    One time I asked for cable and housing for front and rear at castle rock bikes when I first moved to Castle Rock a few years ago. Grumpy old man said about 80 bucks. I'll install it myself, I said. It would be a little bit less then, he replied.

I've lived here 5 years and have never been back to that shop. Stupid business.

Free your heel...
    $3.00 a foot is the going rate at every shop.

Pricey? Yes

Gougey...not if everyone is charging the same price for basically the same product.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    It's $4/ft at the LBS I was at. The icing on the cake....the girl at the counter (shopkeep's baby momma) handed me 2 Brake Cables. When I brought that to her attention she laughed and said "Oh really?! Darn! I sold those same cables to 3 other customers this week that needed derailleur cables!" FAIL

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    To me, a LBS is like a bar. You have to go there a few times, drop some dough on a few things at normal price, and leave a very healthy tip. In the LBS case you might want to "grease the wheels" with a some beer or other celebratory libation. This will usually loosen up the "suggested retail price" restrictions.

There are always the exceptions though, bars and shops alike that are only there to take your money and make you imagine you're one of the cool people....

mtbr member
    K, what did you build? Pics, or it didn't happen!

Edit: did you get a Solo or a Brownson?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Now older but less slow!

Shame on you LBS

When I retired my Starship earlier this year I bought an On-One frame so I never had to deal with the shock again.

I'd intended to transfer parts from the old bike but what with worn out components and some compatibility issues I replaced more than I thought.

It has new SLX shifters, brakes and front mech, the XT rear mech from my TBLTc (that bike has an XTR now), new XT cassette and chain, XROC S pedals and a new seat post.

What little was left - forks, wheelset, rotors, headset, stem, bars, grips, crankset/BB and saddle came off the old bike.

It's like 70% new!! It's my dog walking, ride with the kids and Dirty Bismarck Stravaing bike

Shame on you LBS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372653900.031352.jpg

Shame on you LBS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372653919.564887.jpg

Oh yeah and it only weighs 24 lbs 9 oz. Thats a lot less that my tonka truck 29er at 30 lbs.

Now older but less slow!

Shame on you LBS

Solo would be nice but I would have to compare it against a Turner Flux.

Alas no money for either anymore. Perhaps a carbon set of hoops for the TBLTc at some point but that's it for now.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I paid a whopping $68 for a $33 chain(KMC X10SL Gold ti). I paid it because I had an early morning ride....but, MAN that freaking HURT!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    When I retired my Starship earlier this year I bought an On-One frame so I never had to deal with the shock again.

I'd intended to transfer parts from the old bike but what with worn out components and some compatibility issues I replaced more than I thought.

It has new SLX shifters, brakes and front mech, the XT rear mech from my TBLTc (that bike has an XTR now), new XT cassette and chain, XROC S pedals and a new seat post.

What little was left - forks, wheelset, rotors, headset, stem, bars, grips and saddle came off the old bike.

It's like 70% new!! It's my dog walking, ride with the kids and Dirty Bismarck Stravaing bike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372653900.031352.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	812581

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372653919.564887.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	812582

Oh yeah and it only weighs 24 lbs 9 oz. Thats a lot less that my tonk a truck 29er at 30 lbs.
    Backup bikes are cool!
    Is it a 26 or 650?

Edit: nevermind...you used you old wheels...

Edit edit: nice looking bike! I'm sitting on a '03 Cove Handjob I can do that too also, but I built some 700c CX wheels w/ disc and use it as a commuter
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Now older but less slow!
    26er of course. Those wheels come from the 90s and are still going strong. Hope hubs are indestructible!

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Perhaps a carbon set of hoops for the TBLTc at some point but that's it for now.
    I should probably add in the spirit of my rant on LBS thread, that although the hoops I would consider are the Specialized Roval Carbons, while Louisville Cyclery is a Specialized dealer they will not be seeing the $1200 for those wheels. Their loss by being gougers on miscellaneous accessories. While other shops may have the same pricing doesn't mean it is right when retail online (even before sales and discounts) is a fraction of the cost...

mtbr member

Re: Shame on you LBS

When was the last time you got a deal on anything you purchase by the foot at a brick and mortar business? Its the same as going the a small hardware store when you only need 8' of romex wire. It's usually 10 times at much as if you bought the spool. But they bought the spool, or in this case roll of housing, so that they could sell it in small quantities to the average consumer who doesn't need a whole roll, on the spot, at a healthy profit. Convenience is always more expensive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    It's called overhead, and the shop has to cover it by charging retail prices. A typical cable/housing transaction takes 10-15 minutes of a shop's time. Time is money in business, and 15 minutes at $9.00/hr (a common pay scale for a shop rat) is $1.80; add the cost of space (rent and utilities); and the price for a spool all add to $3/ft., pretty quickly. A safe rule of thumb: new bike builds are going to need, at least, new cables and housings. The real question is, did you pay for ferrules?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    you people are pathetic, you cheap bottom dollar hacks are what is wrong with this country

everything is cheaper on the internet, my whole life is on the internet, I look for the bottom dollar on everything if I have to pay full price then I'm getting ripped off

give me a break, the local bike shop doesn't want your sorry nickle and dime pansy good for nothing azz in their shop anyways

get over yourself and cough up a couple bucks extra so maybe you can support a local business instead of some bottom dollar internet retailer. small businesses are the life blood of this country and everytime some cheap mother#$#%$% like yourself can't handle paying an honest price for a product or service it just goes to show why so many people struggle to make ends meet.

I deal with crap like yourself every single day and it pretty much sucks. At least I'm at the point right now where I can tell some penny pinching piece of ^$%# to go f themselves and it feels good every time I do it. Start paying full freight for product and services and get rid of the walmart mentality.

Now older but less slow!
    I understand overhead.

My beef is the retail for that cable is $1 per foot not $3. They are not charging retail. Wholesale is obviously less (especially when it can be picked up for 75c per ft). The time it took them to unreel the housing, measure it and cut it off, 2 minutes. Even with transaction, I was in the shop a max of 10 minutes. That's a whole lot of overhead for 10 minutes.....

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    $1/ft is not 'retail' pricing. That's the bargain basement price for a spool on the Internet.

You needed housing on a Sunday afternoon, and probably didn't need 8ft anyhow, if it was just the rear. Hand wringing about housing pricing, while considering carbon wheels....get bent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    you people are pathetic, you cheap bottom dollar hacks are what is wrong with this country

everything is cheaper on the internet, my whole life is on the internet, I look for the bottom dollar on everything if I have to pay full price then I'm getting ripped off

give me a break, the local bike shop doesn't want your sorry nickle and dime pansy good for nothing azz in their shop anyways

get over yourself and cough up a couple bucks extra so maybe you can support a local business instead of some bottom dollar internet retailer. small businesses are the life blood of this country and everytime some cheap mother#$#%$% like yourself can't handle paying an honest price for a product or service it just goes to show why so many people struggle to make ends meet.

I deal with crap like yourself every single day and it pretty much sucks. At least I'm at the point right now where I can tell some penny pinching piece of ^$%# to go f themselves and it feels good every time I do it. Start paying full freight for product and services and get rid of the walmart mentality.
    I think you pissed him off Normsk.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You should go buy 1 foot next time and pay with pennies. Just for grins.

Anybody remember going to Colorado Cyclist when stuff was laying around in cardboard boxes on the floor? That's my kind of overhead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    You should go buy 1 foot next time and pay with pennies. Just for grins.

Anybody remember going to Colorado Cyclist when stuff was laying around in cardboard boxes on the floor? That's my kind of overhead.
    Yes, when it was in a house in Estes Park.

ride
    Man, $3/foot? I'll have to raise my prices. Seriously though, there's a lot of new parts on that bike. How much of it did you pick up at Louisville Cyclery? I don't disagree that it's expensive to walk in and buy cables and housing over the counter but just like the hardware store example, it costs money to keep that stuff around for the convenience of someone walking in and picking it up.

"The time it took them to unreel the housing, measure it and cut it off, 2 minutes. Even with transaction, I was in the shop a max of 10 minutes. That's a whole lot of overhead for 10 minutes....."

Also keep in mind what your time is worth and don't sell yourself short. You were able to walk in and come out 10 minutes later with what you needed. Had you ordered it online, you'd have to put time into the hassle of ordering it, waiting, etc. There is a price for everything and it seems you have paid it.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    It's called overhead, and the shop has to cover it by charging retail prices. A typical cable/housing transaction takes 10-15 minutes of a shop's time. Time is money in business, and 15 minutes at $9.00/hr (a common pay scale for a shop rat) is $1.80; add the cost of space (rent and utilities); and the price for a spool all add to $3/ft., pretty quickly.
    I know nothing of the cost of cables and housing, so can't comment on the OP's rant. That said, this calculation is misguided. Or rather, is a one dimensional simple way to look at a complex multi-dimensional calculation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Normsk... good on you...

Ripper roo... pound sand...

I bust my ass for (most) every penny and nickel I have.. If I have extra money left at the end of the day, its going to go to an actual charity like the local trail organization, not to pay an unnecessarily high mark up at some short sighted LBS.

LBS owners... focus on delivering quality service, we'll pay for it.. Fix my bike the way I would (if I had the time and/or expertise), we'll pay the premium, and I, personally, will be loyal to you.

Provide me quality service and workmanship and you can count on me picking up few extra bits on the way out the door. Hell, I'll probably yield (and come to a complete stop) whenever I see you on the trail, regardless of who is going up or down hill..

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast