Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

September Trip: Keystone or Winter Park

Hi, a buddy and I are headed out to ride Buffalo Creek and Some Downhill this summer. Can you guys give me some input/ recommendations on which trail to ride? We would like to ride some downhill and both have 6" travel bikes I ride a Bronson he rides a Process 153 and we are comfortable with 6-7' drops and love rocky technical trail. We have been researching and Keystone and Winter Park are what we are coming up with. We are both pretty good riders and would like to hear some input on what trails you recommend that our bikes can handle. We are already riding Buffalo Creek for some technical rock/xc as the Blackjack trail looks amazing!

Thanks,

Chronic 1st-timer
    Do both, they're close enough....although Keystone rocks it a bit more.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you are into riding technical trails I wouldn't spend to much time at Buffalo Creek. Blackjack is some tough technical riding and you will probably enjoy it, but almost every other trail at Buffalo Creek is smooth sandy singletrack. Its fun, but if technical is what you want I'd ride elsewhere.

I'd suggest - Ride Keystone 1 day, and ride the Lenawee trail off the top of A-basin. You can park at keystone ride 6 miles up Loveland pass to A-basin, climb another 2,000 ft. to the top of A-basin and have an amazing downhill back to Keystone (there is some downhill road riding involved to get back to car). This trail is above treeline part of the way and pretty technical.

friend of Apex
    Winter Park is always a good experience, but it does get kinna boring. Throw in a KeithStone day to keep it real.
    And, as mentioned, Buff Crik is cool, but BlackJack is short, and surrounded by buff trails in every direction, and it can be very hot and loose in July/ August. I'd get higher and go up to Kenosha Pass, or do a day on Monarch to get some alpine riding in.

the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Great input!!! That Lenawee Trail looks amazing and I will google the Monarch trail. Thanks again!

ride
    If you want rocky and tech, there's more of that in the Keystone/Summit area. WP has some great riding if you want all day xc get out there kind of riding, but if you want to technical challenge, Keystone area has more of what you're looking for.

Ditto on Buff Creek area. Blackjack is great, but not worth making a day of it IMO.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    We will probably just stay in the keystone area now. Are there anymore similar to lenawee that trail looks exactly like what we want!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    We will probably just stay in the keystone area now. Are there anymore similar to lenawee that trail looks exactly like what we want!
    Colorado Trail from Georgia Pass -> Middle Fork
    Wheeler
    Copper -> Camp Hale

friend of Apex
    Do the Colorado trail, most any part is good. My fav section is the top of Georgia Pass down to Tiger Road (inbetween Key and Breck), but most any of the Colorado trail in Summit is a winner.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Living the High Life
    Stay in Summit County; Breck, Frisco, Dillon, etc. The town of Winter Park is very boring. Ride both Keystone and WP; then pick your favorite.

Also bug a local to show you Vail.*

Seriously, check out Vail for both XC and DH.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, if you are looking for good tech trails in Summit and don't mind pedaling here are a few of my favorites:
    Lenawee (You can shuttle the road section if you have two cars, recommended unless you want to be a badass).
    Peaks Trail: Frisco>Breck>Frisco OR just Breck to Frisco then buss it back Gold hill trail is also good.
    Searle pass (I prefer it as an in/out rather than all the way to camp hale)
    Anything at Keystone, you can also pedal up the service road if you are cheap/hardcore.
    There's also a few hundred miles of fun buff singletrack in the direct vicinity of Keystone that you won't even have to drive to. IE Westridge/CT and Soda Creek Area.

Paste eater
    Keep going and ride GJ/fruita. Black jack is a great trail but the rest of Buff Creek is very very smooth. There is a lot of trail out there and some fun DH but much of it is a little too tame for my taste... I don't think it's worth going all the way out there in your case.

Goat of Legend
    If your into pedaling and getting a bit higher then Argentine Pass...into Montezuma is game for tech trail and lots of exposure....and its just a few miles from Keystone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    If your into pedaling and getting a bit higher then Argentine Pass...into Montezuma is game for tech trail and lots of exposure....and its just a few miles from Keystone

Can you give me some of the trail names?

Stand back
    IMO, Lenawee is a fun ride, but for tech challenge, Blackjack is better. Sure, there's smooth singletrack that is required (oh noes!), but I'd take that over riding along highways and roads to get to it. I'd say it's definitely worth a day. I also recommend checking out the Vail area.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    Stay in Summit County; Breck, Frisco, Dillon, etc. The town of Winter Park is very boring. Ride both Keystone and WP...
    +1. WP is dead as far as nightlife. Key is my favorite resort, but WP is well worth a day. Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne are all pretty much the same town, and have the cheapest lodging. Have fun! Post up when your trip gets close, if you want riding partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    IMO, riding tons of single speed stuff and then hitting just one trail, Blackjack, is totally worth the 45 minute drive from Denver. Thanks Front Range mtn bike groups for taking my donations and supporting a trail that I never ride.
    Fixed that for ya.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    Fixed that for ya.
    Psst... Anyone riding BC is not riding front range trails. And I still say that it's more worthy of a day than Lenawee.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    September? Wouldn't riding BC that time of the year be similar to riding in Hell? I'm anticipating a good number of days during that time of the year either above 10K ft or under canopy.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Living the High Life
    Psst... Anyone riding BC is not riding front range trails. And I still say that it's more worthy of a day than Lenawee.
    LOL, in that case I hear BC is fantastic and everyone should ride there all the time.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    September? Wouldn't riding BC that time of the year be similar to riding in Hell? I'm anticipating a good number of days during that time of the year either above 10K ft or under canopy.
    Only if you're Canadian or Alaskan or something.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Only if you're Canadian or Alaskan or something.
    I got a chance to explore Indian Creek last summer...80% under canopy...so...

Edit: am a Cannuk and have been to Kodiak
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Sure BC has plenty of smooth stuff, but now that BlackJack is there, I ride there more often. You can get a good mix of tech and fast, flowy two wheel drifting. Plus you can ride all dam day if you want unlike most of the front range areas.

My typical loop out there is Buck Gulch, up to Charlies, Black jack, Sandy wash, gashouse, strawberry.. Unless I crash out there for the night (easy camping mid week).. then its slightly different.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Wheeler trail from Wheeler Pass to Copper. 2800' vert descent, very technical in some places. Long grunt from Breckenridge climb but undoubtedly one of the premier descents in Summit County.

Stand back
    2nd that ^^, Wheeler pass is fun, if you don't mind some high altitude climbing. Commando Run (starts at the top of Vail pass) is less climbing (with a shuttle) and a more fun descent than either Wheeler or Lenawee.
    Golden Bike Park

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast