Open the canned peaches!

Semi-Slicks on White Rim Trail? - Utah Xpost

I posted this over on the Utah board yesterday and haven't heard anything, so I was hoping someone here would chime in:

I'm heading to the white rim trail next week with a couple of buddies and was wondering about riding semi-slicks on the trail. I've never been there and I know it's not a technical trail, but would the semis be pushing it? They're 1.6 conti goliaths that I used to have on a commuter. My only other choice is the 2.35 maxxis' currently on my yeti 575, which seem pretty slooow for a ride like this. I'll be in no hurry as we're doing it in 3 days with support, but just wondered if these would make my ride a little easier.
    And while I'm at it if anyone would like to chime in with ideas for side trips while we're on the trail, that would be cool too, as it sounds like we'll have some time for that kind of stuff.
    Aiight, thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    if you're doing it in 3 days, i'd say keep the 2.35 tires on.

First, since you're not in a hurry, you might as well enjoy a little comfort from the wider tires.

Second, I wouldn't want to tempt fate by riding the 1.6 tires that you "used to have on a commuter". Sometimes tires that have been out of commision don't work so well, as i've learned the hard way, and i wouldn't want to find out on the White Rim.

Third, i think your tire collection could use a 2.0

Have fun.

friend of Apex
    I'll be in no hurry as we're doing it in 3 days with support, but just wondered if these would make my ride a little easier.
    3 days with support.....take bigger tires, relax...enjoy. No need to outrun your beer.

And while I'm at it if anyone would like to chime in with ideas for side trips while we're on the trail, that would be cool too, as it sounds like we'll have some time for that kind of stuff.
    Aiight, thanks.
    White crack

rock jibbin

beer drinkin

ITE

Ride, Rinse, Repeat

White Rim Side Trips

The only side thing you can ride is Lathrop canyon. Cool little drop down to the river. Starts near Airport tower camp. Couple of hiking only trails intersect the road, and there is a quick trip down the Holman Slot.

We've always taken care of the "extra" time on the 3 day trips by eating a lot of great food, lounging and drinking... Beer AND cocktails for us, I suggest bringing a full bar setup

Rolling
    Side trips: Lathrop trail is good.. Anasazi ruins are ok. but Holman slot canyon can't be missed.