Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Don't follow meľ I'm LOST
    Feb 2008

New question here. semi-OT: snip snip

So the wait time for a vasectomy at Kaiser puts me out in prime cycling season, but they can refer out to a clinic in Boulder called Alpine Urology.

Anyone have any experience getting snipped there? Otherwise looking at the KP urology dep't at Rock Creek.

Searched this forum first, but the only relevant post quickly deteriorated into a discussion about family planning and population... I'm just looking for recommendations.

I will definitely heed the advice to take it easy immediately afterwards, but I'm assuming that even then it will be a slow process to being able to get back in the saddle for all-day high-country epic adventures? In other words, I've read people were back on the bike the following week, but is that for just a leisurely spin on the path, or does it include getting pounded in the saddle across Dakota Ridge on a hardtail?

Thanks.

ride
    I was riding my rigid SS around Boulder Res 4 days afterwards . In all honesty, though, I should've waited a week. I had to cut the ride short at about an hour. It was a bit bouncy on the tender bits. I was riding full on mountain bikey stuff a week after surgery and doing well. Everyone heals differently, though. Dr. Manion in Longmont was my guy. I healed quickly and don't have any more kids, so he must've done a good job
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanic 6
    So the wait time for a vasectomy at Kaiser puts me out in prime cycling season, but they can refer out to a clinic in Boulder called Alpine Urology.

Anyone have any experience getting snipped there? Otherwise looking at the KP urology dep't at Rock Creek..
    I was snipped by Dr. Anderson who is with Alpine. The procedure was done at their Louisville office. Dr. Anderson is a nice guy and not heavy handed. The procedure was about as pain-free and stress-free as a procedure of this type can be.

http://www.alpineurology.net/handler...late&cpid=4784
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    I was "done" at rock creek through Kaiser. I was back on the bike 4 days later doing easy trails like centennial cone. Had to go slower on the downhills though as the bouncing around made things a bit tender.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    I was snipped by Dr. Anderson who is with Alpine. The procedure was done at their Louisville office. Dr. Anderson is a nice guy and not heavy handed. The procedure was about as pain-free and stress-free as a procedure of this type can be.

http://www.alpineurology.net/handler...late&cpid=4784
    Dude. Nice avatar.

now in superlight!
    I got taken care of prior to riding...but just ice everything down for the first 3 days, and take it easy days 4-7 (like everyone else has been writing)
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

skillz to pay billz
    I never understand the dOOds w/ hot chick avatars. Is it like ' I like hot women' or 'I wish i was hot like this' or 'when I'm done with my surgery I will look like this'.

very confusing

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Dude. Nice avatar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had my sniping done at Alpine. I rode to and from the proccedure. I went on a road ride to Estes the next day, so I would have to agree that everyone is different.

Don't follow meľ I'm LOST
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by batizywells
    I had my sniping done at Alpine. I rode to and from the proccedure.
    Do you recall who the doc was?

Thanks for the replies.

One more thing: "best practices" for shaving? (No, I'm not kidding). I hate to shave, period, and I guess I'll need to buy a disposable razor instead of my electric shaver. From what I gather, the whole bag-o-nuts has to be done? (I'm cringing even thinking about it).

And no, unlike the poster in the older thread suggested, a "hot nurse" can't do it for me. According to Kaiser, I gotta come in already smooth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    From what I gather, the whole bag-o-nuts has to be done?
    Man, it has been many years since I had the pleasure of this procedure, but as I recall just getting the front half is good enough.

Just plan on planting your butt for a few days with a load of ice handy and it will be all over. Heck, I seem to recall the follow-on "tests" were more stressfull.

Inflexable...
    Buy a bag or two of frozen peas or corn. It will come in handy...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

Hairshirt Rider
    One more thing: "best practices" for shaving?

And no, unlike the poster in the older thread suggested, a "hot nurse" can't do it for me. According to Kaiser, I gotta come in already smooth.
    Wow, HMOs have screwed up everything. Maybe the nurse can provide some advice. They have their technique down and everything.

If that doesn't work out you should go to Veda and get waxed. Your wife can get a manicure and a facial while she waits for you. Is she reading this? She approves doesn't she?

Post op you'll want a cooler full of ice and beer next to the easy chair. Rest an cold on your package and commence drinking. Rotate the beer when it warms up.

Kurt's advice about corn and peas is okay, but just remember to pitch them when you are done so they don't end up on your plate.

My doctor recommended Tylenol for pain and said I could get a script if the pain was really bad. I highly recommend walking out the door with a prescription.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think it was Dr. Clark and the nurse, she was pretty hot, did the shaving.

old enough to know better

Dr. Weiner at Alpine in Boulder did mine

Worked out well enough. DO take the time off. DO use ice, frozen peas or cold packs, DO be ready to use this as fodder for lots of good stories.

My story still brings a smile to my face: the procedure was done on Valentine's Day, I talked with the doc the whole time about the Avs, and a nice lady on the phone in his office advised me to "have lots of ejaculations" before the testing for the success of the procedure (bring back a load in a cup to see if you still have swimmers).

I still remind the missus about the "have lots of ejaculations" part!

old enough to know better

My Bad - Dr. Weiner is with Boulder Med Center

oops

giddy up
    Interesting thread as I have my procedure being done on Friday of this week by Dr. Manion at the Longmont Clinic. I will report back if I survive. Nervous, nervous, nervous. But this is the right time of year to do it. I got out for one last little cross ride tonight here in Lyons and had a really good time. This way i can look forward to getting back on the bike in about a week.

Can't wait for the purge cycle. With this type of committment, there shall be no beggin the Mrs. But I really don't want to have to resort to "Shaking hands with the unemployed".

Cheers

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I never understand the dOOds w/ hot chick avatars.
    Dude. STFU. Focus on the boobies.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Can their really be a Urologist named Dr. Weiner?!?

Inflexable...
    I have a customer who goes by the name of Dick Weed...

Seriously!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I never understand the dOOds w/ hot chick avatars. Is it like ' I like hot women' or 'I wish i was hot like this' or 'when I'm done with my surgery I will look like this'.

very confusing
    Welcome to Overanalyzingville
    Population: You

Last edited by pixelninja; 02-07-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Can't you just raise your saddle a couple inches on your hardtail and then ride down Apex a few times at full speed and get the same results? (can I really be the first one to make this obvious joke?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was riding my bike around the neighborhood that afternoon. I don't remember exactly how long it was before I was riding trails again, but it wasn't very long.

As for the shaving part....my doc didn't require it. So, check with your doc before you bust out the razor.

giddy up
    I'll let any hot chick shave my bean bag. So I'm leaving the razor alone with the hopes that it has to be done by the nurse. Sh*t, for having to go through that procedure, I think a guy should get a "Rub n Tizz-ug" just for fun.

I go down tomorrow. Full Report to come.

giddy up
    Got the snip done yesterday. Here I sit medicated and iced down with my Yeti Lycra shorts on to keep things in place. Let the purge cycle begin.

I think going to the dentist is worse. It took 20 minutes and didn't feel a thing. Dr. Manion at Longmont Clinic is a superb doc. Totally recommend him and his staff.

So over the next couple of days I'll sit here and dream about getting back on the bike. Its a bummer I chose this weekend to have the surgery because its suppose to be almost 60 tomorrow.

I'll just have to stare at this beauty until I'm recovered.a cross dream.jpg

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie

I'll just have to stare at this beauty until I'm recovered.
    Nice garage. Too bad that crapcycle is blocking the view.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast