Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Semi-emergency: Where to find cartridge bearings in Denver & Hub Help

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  FrontRanger 
#1 ·
So my super low budget hub developed some play today. After trying to adjust it for hours, I've come to the conclusion that one of the cartridge bearings is shot. And even if it is not, I knocked it out using the inner race in an effort to understand how my stupid hub works and in an effort to get the impossible right side nut off. Point is...I'm an idiot because I want to race on this wheel on Saturday. Someone in Denver has to have a nice ABEC5 bearing in this size. I just don't even know where to start.

Size is (using digital calipers):
-OD: 26mm
-ID: 10mm
-Width: 8mm
-One side says 6000Z, other side says 6000LB

I have two theories about why such a new hub would develop play: Theory one is a crappy bearing. Theory two involves a faulty freehub. When the wheel spins you can see that the races inside the freehub must be uneven because it makes a small howl at one point in the revolution and it wobbles. I'd like to investigate the freehub further, but it is held on by a special nut into which the right side bearing is pressed. Has anyone seen a tool to remove something like this (two prongs at 180 degrees)? Do I have a chance of working on the freehub or it is a replace sort of item? Few pics below (click to enlarge).

Thanks for any help.:thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe start by removing the black lockring and 20t-er. The part that the cog goes on in that case is the cassette body, and can sometimes be replaced as a whole. This might not be the cheapest option, but probably the easiest. If that is the case, the cassette body might be able to be removed right now.
It looks like you need the appropriate spanner to remove that lockring. In lieu of that (I can't believe I'm suggesting this) have you tried gently tapping it out with a screwdriver and a mallet... carefully to avoid injury from misusing tools. Not that precision matters, looks like the bearing is pretty buggered up.
At this point I would like to interject a bit of wisdom from Sheldon Brown:
"Shimano Freehub ® Body Servicing
Generally, Freehub ® bodies are not repaired when they fail, because the labor cost of servicing them is often greater than the cost of buying a brand-new body.
If you really want to take one apart and overhaul it, they may be serviced in the same way as conventional freewheels. You'll need a fairly hard-to-find old-style Shimano special tool (TL-FH 40) to unscrew the cup, which is also the cone for the main bearings".

A very brief web-search turned up couple options for $30 or less. Hope that fits you budget. best of luck.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I already have the cog and lockring off. I would love to replace just the freehub body, but it is a singlespeed specific one, and I wouldn't even know where to start to find one. I think this might be one for the bike shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.