Thread: Sedona Camping

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Sedona Camping

Anyone have any tips or advice for camping in Sedona. I'll be riding and have a dog with me. What's the best place to camp?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    Anyone have any tips or advice for camping in Sedona. I'll be riding and have a dog with me. What's the best place to camp?
    I haven't done the Sedona camping thing in several years, so things could have changed.

Sedona is awesome, love it. But it is probably the worst place I've ever been for at-large camping.

Basically, they don't have any. If you go way up onto Schnebly Hill and go back past the rim toward the Interstate, you can get into some allowed at-large, but you're up pretty high in the ponderosa pine forest. Cold this time of year. Or you can go south out of the Village of Oak Creek for a while until you're out of "Red Rock Country".

You have to buy what they call a Red Rock Pass (unless that has changed) which you need in order to be parked at any trailhead lot, campgrounds, etc. There is camping, but it's in organized campgrounds for pay and you have to have the pass in addition. There are some commercial campgrounds too, no need for pass there.

I'm pretty sure dogs are prohibited on the trails, have to be leashed, etc. I remember being there with dogs once and it was a PITA. Others may know more...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Are you looking for dispersed or established campgrounds? I camped with my fam at Manzanita CG. It isn't the greatest CG but its reasonably close to Sedona. There are some dispersed sites too on the West side of 89A between Flag and Sedona. You can prob find them on google earth.

Enjoy! This is a great time of year to ride sedona.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    About 2.5 miles south of oak creek and about 1.5 miles up beaverhead flats rd on the right are some dirt roads that lead to dispersed camping, not fancy but dog friendly.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    My experience, two years ago was that there was tons of primitive camping withing 10-15 miles of town. We camped south of Oak Creek a little, not great, kind of ugly..

We then camped West of Sedona a bit, turned left on a forest service road went in about 2 miles and found a great spot.

We went during December and were the only ones there, but damn it was cold..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin