Shaman
    Apr 2004

Seattle? Whats with all the Rain?

I have lived in Colorado for the last 19 years and can't recall ever seeing this much rain. Did somebody do a rain dance? Somebody piss off mother nature? Look who ever you are make it stop (or only rain an 1/8 of inch at night to keep the trails tacky). Thanks in advance!
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Living the High Life
    I don't know who did it, but they're a jerk. So much water piled up against my house 2 weeks ago it leaked in from my dryer vent. I had to dig an emergency trench into the backyard to get the water away from the house. Its been weeks and the freakin' hole is still there because I have no reason to fill it in with all this rain.

So yeah, rain dancin' fool; cut it the EF out! However everything is still green an gorgeous!
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Rolling
    I'll take the blame. I went to the Seattle area on May 14 and took the dry weather with me. it was abnormally dry and warm on the San Juan Islands for the three weeks I was there.

Now that I'm back, it will be ok.

Rigid in Evergreen
    More thunder and rain again today in Evergreen... At least nothing is burning and no one is screaming about water restrictions or building more reservoirs (at the moment).

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    More thunder and rain again today in Evergreen... At least nothing is burning and no one is screaming about water restrictions or building more reservoirs (at the moment).
    Nothing about burning yet, unless it gets dry fast and all the vegetation that's been growing turns brown into fuel.

People are still enlarging and building reservoirs.

I'm just hoping I don't get soaked on the ride home.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Your retarded
    I've been here 22 years and this doesn't seem out of the norm for a wet spring to me. Sometimes we have dry years, sometimes wet. I think that's just the way weather works.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Heathen
    Normal, not nornal..whatever, SUCKAGE!

Awesomist™
    This spring has been the worst winter I've seen in my 10+ years in Colorado... and it turns out this summer is shaping up to be a darn wet spring! Whatever, maybe SolVista won't be a BEACH this season... and I can work on all the SKILLZ that I learnt at the BetterRide DH camp I took last weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I think that's just the way weather works.
    Can it, hippy.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

ride
    I think it's great. This is the greenest Spring I've ever seen in CO. It hasn't kept me from riding either. Just toss the waterproof jacket in the backpack and find some rocky backcountry trails. Good stuff.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    I think it's great. This is the greenest Spring I've ever seen in CO. It hasn't kept me from riding either. Just toss the waterproof jacket in the backpack and find some rocky backcountry trails. Good stuff.
    I agree about the green! It is the most beautiful spring I have ever seen here.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Heathen
    Just toss the waterproof jacket in the backpack and find some rocky backcountry trails.
    If only those trails weren't so far away. Closest option I have is Evergreen and I'm not sure how those trails hold up to rain. I think they are mostly decomp granite but not sure. Otherwise it's an hour drive to the Lyons area if it isn't under water by now also.

Now would be a good time to have that indoor park in Boulder.

not actually bad :)
    I think it's great.
    +1
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    It really hasn't been as bad as some years. The trails are holding up very well and I haven't had any problem getting out to ride. Like some others, I really like all the green stuff, too.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    +1
    Screw the green! I want more riding. Can't even do urban do to lightning and lack of participants.

mtbr member
    Whatever it is, keep it coming. All my riding thus far has been great. I've never enjoyed so much trail tackiness, much better than the dry we're used to. Plus all the greenery

mtbr member
    Sure beats 4" of talcum powder during the normal dry times. Go green, isn't that what marketing is all about these days.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I am loving this weather. The trails in the mountains are awesome at the moment and it was fun last night having to actually deal with wet roots.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    I'm liking the moisture, it provides nice tacky trails in the trees and keeps quite a few off Templeton in PP. With the scrub oak finally getting foliage, it looks like W2W green carpet when the sun hits the mountains on the NW side of the Springs. I say keep the rain coming and let the sun warm temps into the mid 70's.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    Otherwise it's an hour drive to the Lyons area if it isn't under water by now also.
    For what it's worth, it was cloudy this morning, never rained, and is beautiful and sunny now.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love this rain- keep it coming.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Love this rain- keep it coming.
    Actually this is perfect monsoon weather. A quick and dirty shower that you can tell is coming. Then poof--Over and done.
    Last edited by lidarman; 06-11-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Sunny and partly cloudy this afternoon / evening.... as long as it keeps changing every 15 minutes I'm happy

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've been here 22 years and this doesn't seem out of the norm for a wet spring to me. Sometimes we have dry years, sometimes wet. I think that's just the way weather works.

Most peoples' memories are woefully short.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Screw the green! I want more riding. Can't even do urban do to lightning and lack of participants.
    Why can't you do urban by yourself?

Heathen
    For what it's worth, it was cloudy this morning, never rained, and is beautiful and sunny now.
    Yep, I called the shop and you told me the same right before I drove up there. Hit PR and the loop on Heil. Awesome goodness.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Why can't you do urban by yourself?
    A solo urban assault is like getting a table for one.

So I went to Lyons instead.

mtbr member
    Rain=moisture=severe weather=hail=keeping me employed in state!!!!!!!!

I'm loving it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been here a long time and while I'd say a dryer June is more "normal", that is, the May rains end in late May, this amount of moisture isn't exceptional. Anyone remember when every May for two weeks it just rained steadily and the streets were full of earthworms and night crawlers? And for a week in August as well.

I was doing a remodel in northwest Denver one early Spring years ago and had just gotten the shingles on the roof (dried in) and it rained from the next day steadily for the next three months nonstop. Boulder got 14 inches in May. Every possible water course anywhere was actually flowing for days on end. A buddy who'd lived in some wet part of Hawaii said he'd never seen it rain so much so steadily.

So is this current wetness unusual? I'm saying no.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-12-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterRide
    I have lived in Colorado for the last 19 years and can't recall ever seeing this much rain. Did somebody do a rain dance? Somebody piss off mother nature? Look who ever you are make it stop (or only rain an 1/8 of inch at night to keep the trails tacky). Thanks in advance!
    Move to AZ.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    A solo urban assault is like getting a table for one.
    Still failing to see a problem...

Maybe it's me.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I've been here a long time and while I'd say a dryer June is more "normal", that is, the May rains end in late May, this amount of moisture isn't exceptional.
    Maybe not "exceptional," but it's certainly above average.

Your retarded
    It's true, he does agree with me.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Heathen
    Still failing to see a problem...

Maybe it's me.
    Your opinion doesn't count. You don't actually ride. I've seen a couple pictures but I suspect they were staged!

Your retarded
    Your opinion doesn't count. You don't actually ride.
    I've thought this for a long time. Has anyone actually been on a ride with SS?

mtbr member

suspect for sure

with all the posting SS does, I don't think he rides either...

The riding in Gunnison is all-time with the rain we've been getting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Yes
    Probably just halucinations from heat exhaustion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

you must

not remember 1995

This is just the boulder area, but pretty cool to see the differences over the years. It looks like it's been on the dry side most of this decade

http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/boulder/Boulder.mm.precip.html

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The cooler temps and moisture for the front range probably is a nice change. Up here at altitude it's a different story. In the last six weeks we've had something like 3-4 really nice days. Other than that it's been cool to downright cold with rain and even snow every day, all day. The snow melt has slowed to a crawl and many (not all) of the trails that are clear are muddy.

Occasional periods of weather like this aren't unusual in the high country but in my 27 years of living here, I've never seen this weather pattern so persistent. I'm not sure what's happening with the atmosphere, but some potent weather maker is hogging a parking space that it usually only uses sporadically. We're ready for summer up here.

OTOH, spring skiing on the peaks has been good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    not remember 1995

This is just the boulder area, but pretty cool to see the differences over the years. It looks like it's been on the dry side most of this decade

I was thinking the same thing about '95 also. I remember getting back into town after being in Gunnison for school and almost being depressed due to the volume of rain. Funny how now I am loving all the rain. So nice to have everything green, I truly delight in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm lovin' the extra moisture. Colorado is only green for a few weeks usually and I think this year it may actually stay green for a little while. Just ride early in the day and choose your trail wisely.
    P

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    not remember 1995

It's probably more accurate to say that '95 was on the wet side. Most indications are that it'll be hotter and drier in the future.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Global Warming.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

mtbr member

Smile

I grew up in Seattle. It's still not nearly that bad. Imagine constant drizzle and no sun. We're still lucky here in Colorado.

friend of Apex
    Remember this thread when its 100 degrees this summer.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Remember this thread when its 100 degrees this summer.

No kidding...

I have not seen this much rain since I moved out here in June 1999. I didn't see anything 5 miles west for the first 2 weeks I lived in Fort Collins and everything was flooded.

I was thinking how good all this moisture must be for the farmers - then today at lunchtime we got hit with a hail storm that decimated my garden and the flower pots my wife spent so much time on...
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator