Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Searle Pass/CO Trail & Twin Lakes/Halfmoon Creek segment

Has anyone rode either or both of these two segments of the CO trail in the last week or so? Headed down to Leadville, wondering if the trails I want to do are rideable.

Thanks!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Copper -> Searle -> Kokomo still a NO GO.

Breckenridge/Summit County trail condition updates
    Last edited by SkaredShtles; 07-08-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Have not been, but I am guessing that the Twin Lakes segment is good to go. But that's just a guess.

Team Velveeta™

south of BV is totally dry

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    Have not been, but I am guessing that the Twin Lakes segment is good to go. But that's just a guess.
    If you want a sure thing, you'll be relatively close from Leadville: all of the CT from Highway 50 north to Cottonwood Creek west of Buena Vista is totally dry, has been for a while. It's all below 11,000 feet. Some really fun singletrack there.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I actually just called down to the bike shop...their trails have been good out there for quite some time now! Thanks for the updates! Not sure why I didn't just do that before...have a great weekend all!

mtbr member
    Hey TomP,

Do you know if Twin Lakes to Cottonwood Cr is dry? If I'm reading this right, you're saying its dry from Salida to Cottonwood Cr. Thinking about spending a long weekend in the Arkansas valley and riding some new trails (for me). Can you keep going south past cottonwood cr, or is just not enjoyable on a bike? Looking to extend the rides a bit.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    If you want a sure thing, you'll be relatively close from Leadville: all of the CT from Highway 50 north to Cottonwood Creek west of Buena Vista is totally dry, has been for a while. It's all below 11,000 feet. Some really fun singletrack there.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Team Velveeta™

no fun north of Cottonwood

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    ... Can you keep going south past cottonwood cr, or is just not enjoyable on a bike? Looking to extend the rides a bit.
    I assume you mean north past Cottonwood Creek? Toward Twin Lakes? In which case the answers are

No, it's not enjoyable on a bike, and no, you can't really go south past Cottonwood.

The CT runs into the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness between Twin Lakes and Cottonwood. I don't think the wilderness boundary is very close to the Trailhead at Highway 306 (the road that parallels Cottonwood Cr) but the trail climbs way steeply and steadily up onto a flank of Mt Yale. Even if it is legal it wouldn't be much fun.

One killer ride in that area that nobody ever rides is the Continental Divide Trail from the Alpine Tunnel to Tincup Pass. You can make a nice loop of it starting in St Elmo, or a lollypop starting at Mt Princeton hot springs. I have no idea whether it's open yet though. It's stupid high. Since the Crest is now down to just big-ass drifts, it might be rideable.

Here's Absolute Bikes' page about it, doesn't look like they have updated conditions in a few months though:

http://absolutebikes.com/rides.php?ID=19
    Last edited by TomP; 07-13-2011 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Ah, whoops! I am getting two rides mixed up: Mt princeton(Frontier Ranch) to Cottonwood Creek, and Twin Lakes to Clear Creek. Sorry!

What I meant to ask, is whether Twin Lakes to Clear Lake was dry and if there were any options for extending it. I suppose you could go around the lake towards Mt Massive.

I assume you mean north past Cottonwood Creek? Toward Twin Lakes? In which case the answers are

No, it's not enjoyable on a bike, and no, you can't really go south past Cottonwood.

The CT runs into the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness between Twin Lakes and Cottonwood. I don't think the wilderness boundary is very close to the Trailhead at Highway 306 (the road that parallels Cottonwood Cr) but the trail climbs way steeply and steadily up onto a flank of Mt Yale. Even if it is legal it wouldn't be much fun.

One killer ride in that area that nobody ever rides is the Continental Divide Trail from the Alpine Tunnel to Tincup Pass. You can make a nice loop of it starting in St Elmo, or a lollypop starting at Mt Princeton hot springs. I have no idea whether it's open yet though. It's stupid high. Since the Crest is now down to just big-ass drifts, it might be rideable.

Here's Absolute Bikes' page about it, doesn't look like they have updated conditions in a few months though:

http://absolutebikes.com/rides.php?ID=19

Team Velveeta™

dunno

Ah, whoops! I am getting two rides mixed up: Mt princeton(Frontier Ranch) to Cottonwood Creek, and Twin Lakes to Clear Creek. Sorry!

What I meant to ask, is whether Twin Lakes to Clear Lake was dry and if there were any options for extending it. I suppose you could go around the lake towards Mt Massive.
    I don't know about that bit south from Twin. Most of use Slideyans rarely go up there.

Myself, I like the Country south of Mt Ouray. That's my happy place. Marshall Pass, Poncha Creek, Starvation, Silver Creek...

And, I work in Buena Vista and live in Salida. I drive (or ride) north on 285 every danged weekday. Last thing I want to do when I have time to ride is drive up that confounded road.

mtbr member
    Gotcha - I'm the same way with my commute. I've only biked a little of the rainbow in Salida - might have to hit Silver Cr on this trip. Wife is out of town and I'm exploring for a long weekend - so many options its mind blowing.

I don't know about that bit south from Twin. Most of use Slideyans rarely go up there.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    This is from last weekend. Includes CT from Hwy 50 to Chalk Creek, St. Elmo, Alpine Tunnel, CDT to Tincup Pass, as well as a big push on Mt Antero. CDT from Alpine Tunnel to Tincup Pass is slow going right now....lots of water and snow fields.

2011 Colorado Trail Race training: Sawatch Range, Mt Antero, Alpine Tunnel, Tin Cup Pass, St. Elmo
    Starting the weekend on the Colorado Trail near Hwy 50.

2011 Colorado Trail Race training: Sawatch Range, Mt Antero, Alpine Tunnel, Tin Cup Pass, St. Elmo
    The balancing act of trying to carry 50lbs of gear across a bowing beam of wood.

The beginning of what would be a nearly 5 hour hike-a-bike section up to almost 14,000 ft.

Still pushing, but with rain gear. Warm summer day and monsoonal flow equals rain showers.  Rain gear would only be needed for a few hours.

Above treeline....rain finally stopped.  It was good to be pedaling again!

While it looked good on paper, this climb was a beast!  This one photo sums up the entire route.  If you look closely, you'll see Sonya pushing her bike up the road  in the lower left-hand corner of the photo.

It took nearly 5 hours to get up to 13,000 ft......near the base of the 14er known as Mt. Antero....because of the lengthy hike-a-bikes. It was windy and cold.  Sonya scrambles through her Ergon pack from some arm warmers.

This is the descent off the back side. Insane!  Also one of America's most dangerous roads.  Check it!

Back below treeline and getting some fresh cold water in the Ergon pack before getting to the high point for the night.

So much for dry feet!

Heading up to the Alpine Tunnel at 11,600 ft for the evening. Staying this high was the plan as to test the sleeping gear and get away from the thick mosquitoes.  I have ridden this road about 4 other times.  All 4 times at about 1 AM in the Vapor Trail 125.  Odd to see it in the day light.

The campsite for the evening looking east along the rail-road grade to the Alpine Tunnel.  This is part of the Vapor Trail 125 course.

Waking up Sunday AM. Mosquitoes were not an issue at all. Although we had to deal with off and on rain showers all night. I did not have a tarp and Sonya did. While we set up camp about 20 ft from each other, the rain quickly put us next to each other to share the tarp. Sleeping would be good for the evening....stayed 100% dry. Temps dropped to the low 40Fs and the rain wasn't that big of a deal once set up for it.

The morning started with a big push to the Continental Divide.  Didn't take long to get the blood and legs going.

Once on top, the trail was awesome! We spent a few hours riding and pushing at 12,000 ft towards Tin Cup Pass.

What a way to spend the morning!

Lots of water still flowing from the massive winter snow fall.

Below treeline....the first time in nearly 12+ hours.

The ghost town of St. Elmo, CO

Riding back to where we parked on the Colorado Trail.

One of the few times were you can say "It's all downhill from here" and it's actually true!

2011 CO Trail Race training: Sawatch Range, Mt Antero, Alpine Tunnel, St. Elmo
    Here is what we actually rode. My original route was nearly 120 miles round trip. Due to the slow going of the route I had drawn out, we altered it to only get in about 70+ miles over 2 days. We would climb nearly 13,000 ft. There was as much, if not more, hike-a-bike than riding!

Nearly 100 photos from the weekend are located HERE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hey Jeff,
    Is that 5 hour hike a bike up to mt antero part of the vapor trail?

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    Hey Jeff,
    Dont worry chad you'll be fine!

Glad you got in! enjoy
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Getting in is the easiest part of this death march! Deciding to do it and being remotely ready is the part I am worried about.

I rode half of the course last year and it's brutal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    Dont worry chad you'll be fine!

Glad you got in! enjoy

Team Velveeta™

VT125 No Antero

Hey Jeff,
    Nope. I think Kerkove must have been doing that just for jollies.

The Vapor Trail 125 course goes on past that left turn up to Antero. It just circles around Antero and heads on up to the Alpine Tunnel.

Check the map for that section:

http://vaportrail125.com/section3.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Tom!
    That's what i thought. I was going section by section on the website but i had to ask.

Nope. I think Kerkove must have been doing that just for jollies.

The Vapor Trail 125 course goes on past that left turn up to Antero. It just circles around Antero and heads on up to the Alpine Tunnel.

Check the map for that section:

http://vaportrail125.com/section3.html

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Hey Jeff,
    Nope, not part of the VT125. Count your blessings it's not. It's a good kick in the nuts

not actually bad :)
    Getting in is the easiest part of this death march! Deciding to do it and being remotely ready is the part I am worried about.

I rode half of the course last year and it's brutal!!!
    Hope you don't need your crutches back afterwards - I sold 'em. (sorry, but I needed the cash)

I did spend the night on the summit of Mt Antero once though.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Great report/pics

mtbr member
    Nice images and ride, Jeff!

mtbr member
    The CT trail up towards Searle Pass was nice this weekend...I didn't make up to the pass but conditions were great for the five hours that I did ride up and then got chased away by thunder and lightening, few muddy spots and I imagine the top of the pass is still snow...but it was beautiful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Searle Pass/CO Trail & Twin Lakes/Halfmoon Creek segment-photo0197_.jpg  

Searle Pass/CO Trail & Twin Lakes/Halfmoon Creek segment-photo0198.jpg  

lucky enough
    Thanks for the pics Jeff, I've been wanting to explore that area - maybe in August.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Resurrecting an old thread here.

I'm camping with the fam off FS162 near Chalk Creek and looking for some options. Was thinking of riding the CT from Chalk Creek as an OAB towards HWY-50, but the initial climb sounds like 2 miles of HaB. Guessing its way too early for CDT from Alpine Tunnel?

Any suggestions? Thinking of riding Rasberry Gulch or the Cascade rail trail as a family ride.

Absolute Bikes Area Rides

Team Velveeta™
    Resurrecting an old thread here.

I'm camping with the fam off FS162 near Chalk Creek and looking for some options. Was thinking of riding the CT from Chalk Creek as an OAB towards HWY-50, but the initial climb sounds like 2 miles of HaB. Guessing its way too early for CDT from Alpine Tunnel?

Any suggestions? Thinking of riding Rasberry Gulch or the Cascade rail trail as a family ride.
    Going south from Raspberry is pretty burly on and off. It's more fun to ride from Mt Shavano north towards Raspberry/Chalk on that section, but there's still HaB and burliness even in that direction. Depends on what you're into. It's a beautiful section of trail and some of it does flow quite nicely, but there's also rideable technical, and climbing on bowling balls, and some stuff that's just ridiculously steep.

How far up into the hills are you planning to be on FS162? Past (west of) Cascade? Have you ever ridden the CT Section from Mt Princeton north? That's a really sweet section, I'd much rather out and back on that than the bit south from Raspberry. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend it.

I'd be pretty certain it's too early for Alpine Tunnel goodness, but I honestly have not heard. What I've been hearing about the high up stuff is that Tree-Mageddon is the big barrier. A friend bashed his way through the Crest last weekend and said there was still a bit too much snow, but maybe a week of shining sun and it would be close to July 4th levels. But he was off his bike like 40 times to get over/around down trees.

The Alpine Tunnel section of CDT is largely open alpine tundra, so trees wouldn't be as big a barrier. But it's really high. And the trail travels in the same direction as the drift cornice. Not sure what you'd find.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I've been meaning to do that section North from Mt Princeton...somehow forgot about it. We are headed up early Fri morning, hoping to find a spot at one of the CGs off 162 or dispersed near Rasberry Gulch if necessary.

Thanks for the reminder! Might check out CDT if time permits, but that will def be plan B.

How far up into the hills are you planning to be on FS162? Past (west of) Cascade? Have you ever ridden the CT Section from Mt Princeton north? That's a really sweet section, I'd much rather out and back on that than the bit south from Raspberry. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend it.

I'd be pretty certain it's too early for Alpine Tunnel goodness, but I honestly have not heard. What I've been hearing about the high up stuff is that Tree-Mageddon is the big barrier. A friend bashed his way through the Crest last weekend and said there was still a bit too much snow, but maybe a week of shining sun and it would be close to July 4th levels. But he was off his bike like 40 times to get over/around down trees.

The Alpine Tunnel section of CDT is largely open alpine tundra, so trees wouldn't be as big a barrier. But it's really high. And the trail travels in the same direction as the drift cornice. Not sure what you'd find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast