I was down in the area so I stopped in at Cold War Remarketing on South Santa Fe to check out their wall o' bikes. Thing is, the pic on their website showing a wall o' bikes is of bikes they had years ago. Now they have three dusty beat up models, but one was pretty much intact. We took it outside for a look see.

1) Comes with flat tires. Tubes are 26 x 1.5.
2) Guy sez: look, it has the original key! I asked "to what?" Turns out there's a swinging bar that goes up into the spokes in the rear wheel for to lock. I then asked "who's going to steal this bike from an army guy carrying a carbine?"
3) The only thing I can figure out with the primitive front brake is it was used to scraping off mud and helping to stop in dry times.
4) Only one "pannier". We looked in the heaps of stuff they had on their shelves but came up zip for original cases like you saw on my other thread.
5) The year of manufacture is embossed on the frame! 1957 I believe counts as a vintage bike in Funrover's book.
6) And the serial number, for insurance purposes.

Guy sez, how about a real waterproof backpack from the days before modern materials? We went into their "used but sometimes NOS section" and came up with this fabulous cowhide covered backpack. Hey, water sheds off a cow, right? Same for this backpack! A guy could cut a hole in the top (drats, there goes the 100% waterproofness) for a bladder hose. Swiss Army Bike + cowhide covered backup=vintage in my book.

In search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-01-dsc_4918.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-02-dsc_4919.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-03-dsc_4921.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-04-dsc_4923.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-05-dsc_4924.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-06-dsc_4925.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-07-dsc_4928.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-08-dsc_4930.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-09-dsc_4950.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-10-dsc_4951.jpgIn search of a Swiss Army Bike for Funrover-11-dsc_4955.jpg