Rolling

Screw Punxsutawney Phil

When I left my garage today, I didn't see my shadow.

Despite what seems eight weeks of solid winter on the front range this year, I don't see anywhere near "six" weeks of that left. I'm liking these longer days too.

I predict the worst is behind us....ok except for the three foot dump mid March.

Happy Ground hog day. Winter is half done. I'm anxious to stick a fork in it.

(lidarman file photo)
    Last edited by lidarman; 02-02-2010 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That little bastard sees his shadow every year, I think winter is almost over.

Your bike is incorrigible
    6 weeks left? how many trips to pueblo does that add up to? how many nights on the rollers? how many more lame road rides does that make?

yeah, it's about time someone let loose with some sniper action on that damned rodent.

mtbr member
    Do you see it? I do...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

trail waggler

Wurd...

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    6 weeks left? It's about time someone let loose with some sniper action on that damned rodent.
    I'm on it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

mtbr member
    I here PETA wants to replace him with a robot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If this year holds true to the El Nino weather pattern, we're in for a particularly wet, nasty March. The pleasant January is typical, even for El Nino, so don't be fooled. Better start planning your March road trip now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter2468
    If this year holds true to the El Nino weather pattern, we're in for a particularly wet, nasty March. The pleasant January is typical, even for El Nino, so don't be fooled. Better start planning your March road trip now.

(Puts fingers in ears) LALALALALALA I can't here you.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter2468
    Debbie Downer
    Old Codger

crashes in parkinglot
    "If this year holds true to the El Nino weather pattern, we're in for a particularly wet, nasty March. The pleasant January is typical, even for El Nino, so don't be fooled. Better start planning your March road trip now."

New I should have got Pugs or equivalent this year, damn economy.

This march roadtrip, does the western slope get hit too, or is it usally just a FR thing?
    Down is the new up.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    "If this year holds true to the El Nino weather pattern, we're in for a particularly wet, nasty March. The pleasant January is typical, even for El Nino, so don't be fooled. Better start planning your March road trip now."

New I should have got Pugs or equivalent this year, damn economy.

This march roadtrip, does the western slope get hit too, or is it usally just a FR thing?

If El Nino holds... Down south getrs railed (Silverton, Moab... as we have seen earlier this season), then it may wrap around and slam the front range... depending on a storms given path.
    Leave your road trip options open.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Weather forecasters continue to think they can predict the weather. They are all pretty much arrogant, nonaccountable idiots, especially in this area of the country. Try the farmer's almanac, probably just as good a chance of being right. In the meantime, I'll look out the window, if it's nice, I'll go riding.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Weather forecasters continue to think they can predict the weather. They are all pretty much arrogant, nonaccountable idiots, especially in this area of the country. Try the farmer's almanac, probably just as good a chance of being right. In the meantime, I'll look out the window, if it's nice, I'll go riding.
    Oh my. Are you mixing up short term forecasting to general climate prediction for the season? There is a huge difference. Most weather models can only predict about 5 days ahead with any hope of accuracy. As far as annual climate, the models can predict an "average" pretty well using ocean temperatures.

Modern weather forecasting is actually quite amazing given how complex the problem is.

Also, if you are watching 9news and forming that opinion from it, it's a news channel problem and not the fault of the information source, NOAA.

However, if you feel that strongly about it, read the almanac, I hope you don't waste your time looking at the weather reports --it's time you save yourself.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    Last few times I was caught in a spring storm, it wrecked my riding everywhere from Arizona to St George to Colorado. The goal was always to beat the storm back so I could get across the pass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Are you a weatherman?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Are you a weatherman?
    Hell no....and I don't play one on tv either. A weatherman is an attractive person who stands in front of a blue screen waving their hands while reading a prompter. In the old days, the talent was drawing smiling suns and clouds on a board--it's an actors job.

But I work along side some talented forecasters. So, yes, I have bias.
    Last edited by lidarman; 02-03-2010 at 04:18 PM.

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I predict the worst is behind us....ok except for the three foot dump mid March.
    Please. Take. Our. Snow.

All. Future. Snow.

Forever.

hfly

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Please. Take. Our. Snow.

All. Future. Snow.

Forever.

hfly

Tim, I was planning a trip to Moab in December. I watched the weather. Then the plan was moved to January....

Unbelievably, I saw that Moab, since basically December 1, has had it way worse than the front range. I cannot believe it--even during those super cold days. And it continues.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Statistically the pattern we are in gives a fairly high probability of a wet March, April and possibly May for the Northern and Central CO Mtns. In the past this pattern has been known to deliver whopper upslopes in that time period, especially in the later part of the spring.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Statistically the pattern we are in gives a fairly high probability of a wet March, April and possibly May for the Northern and Central CO Mtns. In the past this pattern has been known to deliver whopper upslopes in that time period, especially in the later part of the spring.
    Yes, statistically, March is the wettest month on the Front range.

Wet <> "winter." When I speak of winter, I'm using the groundhog implication that severe cold is involved.

Do I dare talk about wind? It have been a very calm wind in that regard. Thank goodness. Knock on wood.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Moab

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Tim, I was planning a trip to Moab in December. I watched the weather. Then the plan was moved to January....

Unbelievably, I saw that Moab, since basically December 1, has had it way worse than the front range. I cannot believe it--even during those super cold days. And it continues.

The weather has been absolutely bizarre in Moab. The average high for Feb 4 is 46F. Moab has not even broken 40 degrees since early December, and most days the highs have been freezing or below, with nights in the low teens. Right now, 10:45 AM, it is 23 degrees in town and 14 degrees at the airport with freezing fog! Monticello, about 50 miles south and about 3000 feet higher, had a five foot snowstorm a few weeks ago.

GJ and Fruita have been similarly whacked.