Thread: Score!!

mtbr member

Score!!

Two weeks ago I spent $44 after taxes to replace front and read disc pads for XT brakes. I had a 40% off coupon so I went to Bicycle Village's big sale at the Aurora store to replace my cracked helmet. Didn't plan on buying else but I got curious and just went to look at some clearance stuff. Found a set of brand new front and rear XT brakes(rotors, calipers, AND PADS) for $48 after taxes. Hell yeah!!! Did I mention I just paid the same price for just pads two weeks ago . What are some of your lucky finds.

Shattering Glass
    A $400 GPS laying on the trail....

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    You might want to PM this guy....

Lost Garmin Forerunner at FR50
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dash
    I lost a $200 Garmin and a $250 camera last year and that sucked.Did you do what you could to get it to get back to the rightful owner?

not actually bad :)
    I found a sweet front wheel and tire at the lower Apex lot.
    Left a note.
    The guy identified it, and came and picked it up - He was HAPPY!!
    Found a nice riding vest, posted numerous places, no one claimed it - I was a "fat guy in a little vest" - so gave it to That Guy/BBD. He seemed to like it, but I've never seen him in it, or a picture of him in it!
    Saw an old Novara bike on the side of the bike path you ride to link CG/Apex for a few days straight on commutes, but the day I was gonna go take it, it was gone. Figured I could make a good commuter out of it.
    Various other things, but no SCORE! material.
    I lost a pretty nice camera (PnS) on Bard Creek last year.
    Looked for it twice, couldn't find it. I think it bounced off the trail, and blended in, because I had it narrowed down to a fairly short stretch it must have been in.
    Old Codger

Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    to replace my cracked helmet.
    What's the story on the above quote?

Oh yeah - here's one similar to your original. Found 4 sets of brake pads on EBAY for the price of one set in the store.
    Old Codger

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I found a girlfriend on the trail once. Still have her but upgraded her with wife components.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I found a pair of REI bike gloves on a Copper->Camp Hale->Copper ride one year. Most durable pair of gloves I've ever "owned"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Found a hardtail commuterbike in the trash a month ago. 50$ later and its running great. Two days after finding it my regular cheapo commuter was stolen. Score?

mtbr member
    On the Great Divide Trail last summer I found...

an expensive looking cell phone

2 sweet fishing rods and reels in cases

a light sabre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    What's the story on the above quote?

Oh yeah - here's one similar to your original. Found 4 sets of brake pads on EBAY for the price of one set in the store.
    Just an accumulation of crashes. Took a header on a tree last summer. Took a another head crash on a big rock on Sargent's Mesa. This was all last summer and I'm just getting around to replacing it. Helmet has a few hairline cracks.

mtbr member
    Went in to Pedal Pushers 2 years ago when they were still at Lowry. Found a new takeoff set of Industry9 wheels for $225. $900 msrp at the time.

Your bike is incorrigible
    I used to find things. I found two Park chain tools, about ten thousand tire levers, a Topek multitool. A Thomson seatpost attached to a decent saddle (had to return it ), a derailleur hanger (didn't fit any of my bikes ), a mini cliff bar that got eaten soon after finding, a decent wheel and tire (had to give it up ).

I just don't find as many things as I used to. Something's happened, and I suspect that it has to do with hydration pack companies doing a better job with their manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Took a header on a tree last summer. Took a another head crash on a big rock on Sargent's Mesa.
    I think I'm starting to understand a few things I was wondering about (but too afraid to ask) now.

Old Codger

crashes in parkinglot
    I found some sweet lines on two different rides this weekend. Nailed most of them.
    Last edited by EricTheRed; 05-10-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    I found the sweetest black lab....but had to return it to the owner when I saw that he had tags on

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Found a beater bike in a dumpster that had brand new Avocet fat slicks on it. I kept the tires and put the bike back in the dumpster. I still have those slicks, one is mounted on my hardtail that's permanently attached to my trainer.

I think your XT disc brake find will top any of our stories. Wait, I did find a Brother laser printer, normally $120, on sale for $49 at Staples. Does that count? I bought two of them.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Shattering Glass
    Last year @ Hall. Checked out craigslist, the guy posted something hours later. He had it in his hands the next day, one happy hiker. Good thing I already had the same one. ;-)

Rigid in Evergreen
    I found an oil drain plug and a positive battery cable connector riding White Rim last week.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    I found an oil drain plug and a positive battery cable connector riding White Rim last week.
    For Sale: Late model Ford F150. Minor engine damage and some electrical problems. Must sell quick! Make an offer!

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed
    I found some sweet lines on two different rides this weekend. Nailed most of them.
    My favorite
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening