Scared of heights?

My leg feels funny
    yeebus

mtbr member
    That's sick! I wouldn't ride that.

mtbr member
    Holy wowza!!!!

mtbr member
    Kind of like jackson's in Moab......not the exact same but jackson's does have some sketchy parts.

Inflexable...
    Fkna...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    nice relaxing Sunday afternoon ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's not how high it's how wide--Steven Wright.

I was on a "trail" above Crested Butte. Not 401, not 403, maybe on the backside of 403. It went across an endless scree field. I had no idea where it went, but what the heck let's find out!

I was so amped to keep up my my cadence I lost track of many things. For one, the trail had just kept getting fainter and fainter and thinner and thinner, till finally when I stopped and looked around I saw about 1000' of vertical scree on my right (up) and more than 1000' straight down scree on my left. And me on a 6" wide trail. WTF? There was no end in sight except for maybe the trail. Who knows where it actually went. Across that vertical scree field as far as I could tell. All of a sudden I felt very alone.

Turning around was nearly impossible with the sketchy rocks underfoot. Then I had to negotiate the same faint trail back, only this time my knees were shaking. What was I thinking.
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-19-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Its not the height that scares me. Its my riding!

C

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Scared of heights?-skinny-bars.jpg

and i thought some of the waterline trail in IS was sketchy
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Big Boned
    Anyone know where that was shot? The You Tube is in German, but there's something about North Shore...?
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Austria. Kaernten county. The viewers on YouTube posted even the name of the canyon. Look it up, google it, book a flight. :-)
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus View Post
    Austria. Kaernten county. The viewers on YouTube posted even the name of the canyon. Look it up, google it, book a flight. :-)
    It's easier to make others Google for me. ;-)
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Grams Light Bikes
    Looks a lot like the spectacular Garnitzenklamm Gorge just south of Hermagor, Kärnten (Carinthia), Austria? But that's a guess?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    wow... I would not even consider riding that...
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

SRAM...Shimano who cares?
    Dec 2011
    Not scared of heights only hulking myself of those bridges into the valley below.

That being said, I'd still give it a try....

~JRA

mtbr member
    I might try it on a little DJer w/ platform pedals...so I can go from pedaling to a strider bike when things get dodgy.
    I've taken a header off of a trail once that was pretty much a cliff where I went off. Only held up from the full descent by grabbing on to ding-weeds. Any of you who've ridden Mad Creek north of Steamboat would know what I'm talking about. Saved the bike too
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

My cup runneth over
    Awesome. Enjoyed the video.

My cup runneth over
    Awesome. Enjoyed the video.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Any of you who've ridden Mad Creek north of Steamboat would know what I'm talking about. Saved the bike too
    I dont remember anything that narrow on that trail- or you just took a digger? we didnt come back down it we went to the wilderness boundary then red dirt trail i believe back down.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

A guy on a bike Moderator
    ...palms are now almost too sweaty to type...

I'm not afraid of heights--just of falling off high things! I wish that I had the skills to ride something like that safely. Wow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    I dont remember anything that narrow on that trail- or you just took a digger? we didnt come back down it we went to the wilderness boundary then red dirt trail i believe back down.
    Mad Creek/Red Dirt is the typical loop. Where I went down wasn't very narrow...I was talking about falling on a trail, toward the cliff side of the climb. It wasn't exactly a full 90 drop, more like a 75 degree slope. But it was def steep enough where if you went over and didn't immediately stop, each step you took would have meant about 15 to 20 feel in elevation loss.
    Dunno if you recall on the climb up Mad Creek where at about 3/4 of the way up (and not far from where it flattened out) there's about a foot tall rock place right at the elbow of a slight left drift in the trail...at about 100/120 or so feet above Mad Creek? I was following the ex-chic up and she stalled out after clearing that rock. My front wheel was on that rock and I think I spun my rear while doing the pedal/unweigh thing. I clipped out and tried to put a foot down, but it found ground a good bit lower than the trail and toppled off the edge of the trail on my way down to the river. Landed on my right side, the bike and I rolled over and slightly down and off I went. I had spotted a sage brush at the very edge (or maybeit was the root of an old sage brush) and grabbed on w/ my right hand as the bike and I rolled off, and also managed to hold onto my bike. I did manage to planted a foot on a rock below while the bike dangled. There was a downhill bound hiker that observed this from about 15 ft above us...freaked him and the ex-chic out to no end! Surprisingly, I didn't even get the shakes from the adrenalin spike after. Got the hiker and ex-chic to take my bike and I popped right back up on the trail and con't on
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    yes, wanna make something of it?!? Wholly crap!

friend of Apex
    wondering how much the GoPro pseudo fish-eye added to the ghnar factor
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was going up a steep on some trail outside of Durango. Wasn't even looking to the exposure to my left. I tried to clean up and over a rocky ledge, stalled out and fell to my left. My legs got tangled in my bike, my butt and lower back were off the trail...then I realized how straight down the drop was. Probably 90' and there would be no self arrest if I slid off the trail. My legs and bike were 1/2 on the trail but me and the bike were sliding slowly off the trail and down.

No hiker came to my rescue. I had about 10 seconds to do something, anything. I was holding on, literally, by my fingernails on the smallest of stones embedded in the trail. My fingers were strong from carpentry and my will was strong as **** to not die, so I was able to pull myself with only my fingertips so my shoulders were on the trail. Legs and bike were still a tangled heap halfway off the trail. I kept thinking somebody was gonna come by and render aid, but I had to keep inching my body back to a resting point. That was tough.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast