Thread: Say it ain't so

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Holy crap!!
    No words to say what I feel.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

FleshwoundGravityResearch

omfg wtf?!?

STRASBOURG, France -- The Tour de France was stripped of three of its biggest names on Friday after Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo were named in a doping investigation in Spain.

This absolutely sucks. Why not wait till PROVEN guilty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    STRASBOURG, France -- The Tour de France was stripped of three of its biggest names on Friday after Jan Ullrich, Ivan Basso and Francisco Mancebo were named in a doping investigation in Spain.

Its completely disappointing!!!

I think that they have to have trials before they would let them race. The race would be over before this would all come to an end.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

contains quinine

Imagine if

Imagine if the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB leagues were half as serious as UCI when it comes to cheaters.

The best good I can think of, is that perhaps cycling could be the first clean and regulated sport.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

It is quite possible now that the US have 3 in the top 5. The bad is even if it happens, it is forever tainted.

The Notorious S.L.O
    It is quite possible now that the US have 3 in the top 5. The bad is even if it happens, it is forever tainted.
    agreed, and if Floyd or George win, they will certainly have this diminish their win, cause they will always say that won against a field missing some of the top prospects.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Their team's suspended them, not the Tour. So obviously they felt there was some serious evidence that would warrant a suspension. The reports I've read are their teams have reported there is serious evidence and now the riders have to prove their innocence.

This is a crazy turn.

pin 'er up

This is too much of a common place these days

ARG!! Why can't ATHLETES SHOW UP AND COMPETE AS PURE ATHLETES?? No one tell me because they gotta dope to keep up with other dopers. What is wrong with us and ALL of these pro sports?? Babies, guess I have lost interest in watching millionaires (and bikers, yes I know they don't make a ball player's wage) act like babies (sorry, now I am offending babies) while trying to play their various sports. Guess I'll just keep riding when these events take place...then at least one athlete will be getting stronger the natural way...BY RIDING MY BIKE...PERIOD. Who even cares anymore?? I (unfortunately) sure don't...Truly sad.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    ARG!! Why can't ATHLETES SHOW UP AND COMPETE AS PURE ATHLETES??
    It's the money. Hey, I can't honestly say that if juicing a little wouldn't add 30-40 miles an hour on my fastball, and guarantee me $5-10 million per year in salary, that I wouldn't push the plunger. Shoot, you may only have to do it a year or two to get a massive payday. There's a hell of a lot of money to be earned in professional sports, that most athletes would never see if they couldn't compete at the highest levels. I understand why it happens, not that I really like it. Lance has been hauling in ~$30 million/year the last few years in endorsements. That's what winning the TdF a few times can do for you. Now that he's out of the way, I'm not surprised that all of the contenders are looking for a little something extra (assuming that they haven't always been).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Society bought this

We live in a pharmaceutical society full of grey areas.

After a hard stage in the tour, it is accepted that a rider will take a massage. Is it OK if the massage cream has an analgesic? How about popping an ibuprofen? An expresso before the stage? A Red Bull? All are forms of doping.

How about everyday people? If that truck driver stays awake by popping pills, and thus avoids killing someone, is this a bad thing? What about a surgeon who takes Ritalin to be able to concentrate on the surgery at hand? Antidepressants?

A line has to be drawn, but anywhere the line is drawn, there will be attempts to go outside to gain an extra edge. If people are made guilty by association, then everyone is at risk. Maybe there is some concrete evidence not known to the public, but what has been made public is a paper trail written in code. To destroy an athlete based on what is basically heresay is criminal in itself, IMHO.

Kudos to the riders who have remained within the measurements. Or to their doctors, at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikergal
    Holy crap!!
    No words to say what I feel.
    I said the exact same thing when I found out that DamonnomaD had been banned. THAT was a dark day for mtbr.

mtbr member

what about the former mountain biker?

What was the guys name that took the polka dot jersey last year. I beleive he was a former mountain biker. I think he has a chance, you know how the guys who are big climbers usually finish on top.

I really didn't have much hope for Ullrich anyway.
    "The only time you find success before work is in the dictionary"

www.ibexbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Elvis
    I said the exact same thing when I found out that DamonnomaD had been banned. THAT was a dark day for mtbr.
    OMG, that was great!!! Thanks for the laugh.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

I'm a unitard!

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by ibexmsu
    What was the guys name that took the polka dot jersey last year. I beleive he was a former mountain biker. I think he has a chance, you know how the guys who are big climbers usually finish on top.

Michael Rasmussen '99 World Champ. Good climber. Poor TTer. Not a very strong team.

This course is a TTers heaven. Ullrich had a good shot at winning. Too bad we will never know. This was going to be one of the best races in while.

Whoever wins will be known as the guy that won when everyone was kicked out. With a new generation, that will be forgotten. Can you look at a list of past winners and name the intricacies of who was there and who wasn't? Most people can't. Can you name a contender that was removed in '98?

At least I get to race this weekend. I'll be sportin my Dopers Suck socks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibexmsu

Are you talking about Michael Rassmussen? Or Cadel Evans...I can't remember which one won the climber's jersey last year, but both or ex mountain bikers.

This doping stuff sucks for sure. Go gett'em Georgie!!!

I'm a unitard!
    Was he really kicked out?

Shattering Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    agreed, and if Floyd or George win, they will certainly have this diminish their win, cause they will always say that won against a field missing some of the top prospects.
    Not when the top prospects have to cheat to be the top . Looks like maybe floyd or george are really the top athletes here. Friggin euro trash.

Vino's now out too..

Astaná-Würth now out of Tour
    By Charles Pelkey
    Editor, VeloNews.com
    This report filed June 30, 2006

The Astaná-Würth cycling team of Alexandre Vinokourov will not take part in the Tour de France due to the fact that five of the team's nine Tour rides have been implicated in the ongoing doping probe in Spain.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/det...s/10186.0.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

a diminished tour, for sure

I love watching the TDF. I also love watching football and basketball, for different reasons. In the Tour you have no doubt the fittest athletes in the world. How they keep up the ridiculous pace day after day, combating fatigue, soreness, crashes, pelaton maneuvering, 60 mph downhills, climbs-from-h!ll after 120 miles of racing, not to mention sitting on those tiny saddles for thousands of racing miles...you gotta admire these guys.

I'm not going to comment on the alleged doping angle of all of this. It will all work itself out in the end. I just want to say that I also like watching Arena Football, if nothing else to watch guys who are maybe a step slower than their NFL counterparts, but are nonetheless still superb athletes and are competive against their own caliber.

Now that the sport of cycling is basically eating itself with all these probes and allegations, the best of the best are now banned from The Tour...well, who in the heck now is gonna win the Tour? I have no idea, but it makes for an interesting scenario. Guys who realistically had no chance to win now can compete against their own caliber of competition. Teams who were going to just jostle amongst the pelaton for maybe a top ten can maybe have a shot at a podium finish. The hope that must now be present amongst the also-rans could inspire those who had it in them but psyched themselves out because there was always Lance and Jan and Alexandre to contend with (and all the team support etc that the BOTB have going for them) to do the impossible---go for a win at the Tour, not just a stage or two.

I won't for a minute feel that the winner of this year's Tour should have an asterik next to their name. The competition that is the Tour de France is so unbelievable (I would guess that any member of any team racing would completely smoke any group ride you, as a civilian, could possibly hope to join in) that their effort in gaining the podium should be applauded with no reservations. I, for one, although missing the likes of Basso and Ulrich, will be watching this Tour like the past 7. May the best man win.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    Was he really kicked out?
    Yes. I found out yesterday, although it happened a month or so ago. Things haven't felt right since then.

mtbr member
    Darn double post!
    Last edited by Fat Elvis; 07-01-2006 at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    well, who in the heck now is gonna win the Tour? I have no idea, but it makes for an interesting scenario.
    I hope it's that goofy French guy (from the Carribean or somewhere) who led the Tour two years ago for a few stages. Can't remember his name, but he looked like a 12 year old, and pretty much rode like one, too. Lance toyed with him like a cat with a mouse before he took the yellow jersey away from him. Anyway, that dude is pretty funny to watch.

I'm a unitard!
    Yes. I found out yesterday, although it happened a month or so ago. Things haven't felt right since then.
    Not to hijack the thread (I'm going to anyway ), but that's pretty funny. He definetly knew how to p!ss people off, but enough to get booted. Wow! Maybe I didn't read enough of his posts.

I hope it's that goofy French guy (from the Carribean or somewhere) who led the Tour two years ago for a few stages. Can't remember his name, but he looked like a 12 year old, and pretty much rode like one, too. Lance toyed with him like a cat with a mouse before he took the yellow jersey away from him. Anyway, that dude is pretty funny to watch.
    Voeckler. I like watching him too, but his tactics are questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    Michael Rasmussen '99 World Champ. Good climber. Poor TTer. Not a very strong team.

This course is a TTers heaven. Ullrich had a good shot at winning. Too bad we will never know. This was going to be one of the best races in while.

Whoever wins will be known as the guy that won when everyone was kicked out. With a new generation, that will be forgotten. Can you look at a list of past winners and name the intricacies of who was there and who wasn't? Most people can't. Can you name a contender that was removed in '98?

At least I get to race this weekend. I'll be sportin my Dopers Suck socks.

Are you talking about the Pirate? (booted in 98)

Don't forget about Floyd as a former mtn biker. And I honestly thought he had a chance of top 5 BEFORE the exit of jan and basso. And you never know what Bruyneel has up his sleeve.

I am more pissed that I have to wonder what might have been, because I seriously doubt the tour would have been won going away by any of those suspended or removed by their teams. Basso would have been my favorite but not in the way he destroyed the field in the Giro.

So now look out for Valverde, Landis, Hincappie, Leipheimer, and yes even Cadel. Sastre and Popo have outside shots as well, but Sastre will have to do it w/only 6 others on his team.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast