little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004

saw a bull moose up on School Bus yesterday

My husband and I were descending off the top of School Bus, just after the loamy/rooty bit in those big open switchbacks. I hear a shout, and my husband ringing his bar bell, and came around the turn to see him stopped with an enormous bull moose standing about thirty feet in front of him, and a bit too near the trail for anyone's comfort, least of all ours.

Husband said the moose was right on the trail in front of him, but spooked a bit when he heard the bike. We waited respectfully for a couple minutes to give him a chance to shove off, and then when he showed no interest in moving we elected to roll *super* slow to see if maybe he'd move away from the trail. Thank goodness those Hope hubs of ours are so frickin' loud - apparently the ratchet in them sounds enough like a big rattlesnake that he startled at the noise and trotted off into the woods.

Probably as much our fault as anything, since we left the ride a bit late and were coming down around 5:30 PM when there was no one else out there on the trails. Sorry we didn't grab any photos, but we were both a little worried about having nothing but a few kilograms of carbon fiber and metal between us and Bullwinkle should he decide we were a threat.

Be careful out there. Moose are incredibly huge, and very scary. I understand the bulls can be pretty aggro when they're in rut (this guy's rack was still in velvet).

I'm with stupid

saw a bull moose up on School Bus yesterday

I had a image in my head of a moose standing on a school bus..... Feel let down. That's what I get for adding a "a" in the thread title.
    Good thing it's not about a month from now, that could have been a very dangerous thing. Rutting season is a dangerous time to come across a animal like that.

I tapped that

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Good thing it's not about a month from now, that could have been a very dangerous thing. Rutting season is a dangerous time to come across a animal like that.
    absolutely, that's exactly what I told my husband. That and we're going to plan our rides a bit more towards peak daylight when hopefully they'll be less active.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    That's super cool, I'm jealous (but yes, they are scary bastards).

Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    Probably as much our fault as anything, since we left the ride a bit late and were coming down around 5:30 PM when there was no one else out there on the trails. Sorry we didn't grab any photos, but we were both a little worried about having nothing but a few kilograms of carbon fiber and metal between us and Bullwinkle should he decide we were a threat.

Be careful out there. Moose are incredibly huge, and very scary. I understand the bulls can be pretty aggro when they're in rut (this guy's rack was still in velvet).
    Eh, not your fault for being that late, I'm usually descending Schoolbus 90 minutes or so later than that.

The 5th knuckle
    Moose are the coolest and freakiest thing I have come across. Nearly came nose to nose with one backpacking. Came around thicket of willows and he was about 3 feet from me. Stunk so badly and just grunted while I backed off slowly and looked away. Nearly soiled myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I normally get to ride west mag in the evening, and have seen moose up there 3 times this year, which is 3 more times than I have the past 20 years. Last Tuesday I saw a momma and baby moose near the Tennessee Mountain Hut, I was happy and unhappy at the same time to see them.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Freakin' Swamp Donkeys, killin' our ride stokes
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Call me next time you're nose to nose with one of them moose, I'll scurry up and get a pic.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Oh, So Interesting!
    A friend of mine saw THREE moose while riding schoolbus last week! There's getting to be A LOT of moose around...

And yeah, stay as far away as possible.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    apropos of nothing... the toilet bowl seems a lot smaller on a 29er somehow.

mtbr member
    We've seen 6 in the last 12 months. 2 near Silverton. 3 in one weekend while MTB'ing in Winter Park/Fraiser. 1 over Labor Day weekend while backpacking up high next to the meadows in the Buffalo Peaks wilderness.

It amazes me how quiet and stealthy they can be through willows/alders/tress... Especially considering they are such a massive animal

mtbr member
    see them up here easily 2 or 3 times a week... population explosion. saw a bull moose up on School Bus yesterday-977841_10151640152573320_556173069_o.jpgName:  moose1.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  12.5 KBsaw a bull moose up on School Bus yesterday-moose3.jpgsaw a bull moose up on School Bus yesterday-moose4.jpgName:  moose6.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  14.5 KB

Dots, west mag, sherwood, lazy z, lost lake, they are all over the place and I usually don't spot them until really close or my dog finds them for me. The same mother and newborn baby were in the same bushes for at least 3 days. Makes my day to see them, it's usually early a.m. so if you want to see one get out of the scratcher before it gets light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A lady up at Grand Lake got attacked by a moose recently. Read all about it here:

Grand Lake moose attack sends woman to hospital - The Denver Post
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by longman View Post
    see them up here easily 2 or 3 times a week... population explosion...
    Agreed, they are getting really common. I wonder if people are going to get attacked regularly (2 moose attacks at grand lake this season) and if so are moose good eating?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Seen at least one every visit to the Brainard area this summer. Witnessed one swim across the lake which was pretty cool. Last time came pretty close to a bull moose with a huge rack that was bedded down. Definitely gave him some space.

Front Range, Colorado
    Pretty awesome sights and consider yourself lucky to see them. They were nonexistent in Colorado not too long ago. They were reintroduced back into Colorado back in 1978.

In 1978 the DOW (now CPW) arranged for the first transplant of 12 moose to Colorado’s North Park region near Walden. These initial moose came from Utah, and, in 1979, another dozen from Wyoming were released in the same region, in the Illinois River drainage. This early population reproduced quickly, and some began to move into the Laramie River Valley. In 1987 a transplant of 12 moose from Wyoming helped establish a strong population in that valley as well.

Before long, North Park’s moose population was doing so well that some were moved to the upper Rio Grande drainage. Between 1991 and 1992 about 100 moose from Wyoming, Utah, and North Park were released in southern Colorado near Creede.

Since the transplants, our moose have thrived and expanded their range into good habitats. Colorado’s moose population now is approaching 1,000 animals statewide. They have grown so dramatically that limited hunting is offered in North Park, Middle Park and the Laramie River area. Not only do the moose provide recreational opportunities for sportspeople, they also have become a main attraction for all of those who enjoy watching wildlife. In recognition of this wildlife phenomena, the state legislature designated Walden as the "Moose Viewing Capital of Colorado" in 1995.
    Living With Wildlife in Moose Country | Colorado Parks and Wildlife
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden