Thread: SaveHermosa.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

SaveHermosa.org

http://www.savehermosa.org

Take 5 minutes out of your day today and submit your comments to save mountain bike access on prime Durango Singletrack including the Colorado Trail, Corral Draw Trail and many others. If the Wilderness designation for the West Hermosa Creek area is passed in its current form the final 42 miles of the Colorado Trail are GONE from a contiguous ride. That's right....there is no re-route possible. Also at risk is the local MTB favorite, Corral Draw Trail....5 miles of gorgeous, tight singletrack.

In addition to the facts available on the site, please include your suggestion for:

- An alternate designation to Wilderness that allows MTB access to continue as it has for many years

- At a minimum, allow corridor access for the Colorado Trail and Corral Draw Trail through the proposed Wilderness

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Your comments will automatically fax to the Forest Service from this website.

http://www.savehermosa.org

mtbr member

Good job! done and done.

couldn't be much easier...

thanks.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    couldn't be much easier...

thanks.
    Nope...thank you. Faxes are really starting to roll in...but we need MORE!

Prove that the MTB Community CAN organize and that we ARE a legitimate user group.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Hermosa
    but we need MORE!
    Sent mine. Would be a real shame to have another area of the CO Trail that doesn't allow bikes.

Your retarded
    Sented. I even wrote it good too.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

MK_
    carpe maŮana

Thanks.

I just sent the fax. For the lazy types, here is what I sent. You can make adjustments or just paste.

Hi,

I am writing in opposition to the proposed San Juan National Forest draft management plan which includes a disturbing proposal to eliminate mountain biking from a section of the Colorado Trail and other valuable backcountry singletrack. Specifically, the plan recommends the 50,000+ acre West Hermosa Creek area for federal Wilderness designation.

I would like to stress that Mountain Biking is a very low impact and low noise activity which should not be included with motorized vehicles in its designation. Scientific research on the environmental impacts of mountain biking continue to show bicycle use is far more in line with the passive modes of equestrian travel and foot travel than motorized travel.

My main areas of concern are:

* A section of the Colorado Trail. This section is integral to one of the premier, contiguous, singletrack mountain bike rides in the entire country. Losing this would be devastating.
    * Corral Draw Trail. A gorgeous ribbon of pristine singletrack descending to Hermosa Creek. This trail is predominantly used by mountain bikers.
    * Big Bend Trail. Another long singletrack trail which provides mountain bikers with a genuine backcountry riding experience.
    * Salt Creek Trail. A hidden gem, but known by many mountain bikers as one of the better singletrack trails in the area.
    * South Fork of Hermosa Creek Trail. Due to basically no maintenance by the Forest Service, this trail does not get used as often, but its many river gorge views and beautiful creek crossings are an epic ride ready to be revealed.
    * Clear Creek Trail. Clear Creek is used often by mountain bikers as a “town side” loop; connecting Junction Creek Road to Hermosa Creek Trail.

_MK

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great example letter. It's good to be specific....ultimately it will mean more.

mtbr member
    Just want to add that many of these trails have been maintained by the local bike community (Trails 2000) over the years, which seems even more unfair to pull our access.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For what it's worth, I believe the proposed area also includes the Sharkstooth and Grindstone trails. For those of you who haven't checked it out, the ride from Kennebec up over Sharkstooth Pass is a high altitude, gorgeous gem that would be a shame to lose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by durango1
    For what it's worth, I believe the proposed area also includes the Sharkstooth and Grindstone trails. For those of you who haven't checked it out, the ride from Kennebec up over Sharkstooth Pass is a high altitude, gorgeous gem that would be a shame to lose.
    Good addition. Voice your opinion against the entire Wilderness designation.

Oh, So Interesting!
    MESSAGE SENT, Thank You.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

How to submit comments

How do you submit comments? I do not see a fax number, e-mail, or any contact information on the SaveHermosa website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 3sigma
    How do you submit comments? I do not see a fax number, e-mail, or any contact information on the SaveHermosa website.
    In the center of the page there is a "Click Here to Take Action" link. Click it. The web form automatically faxes your comments for you.