Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Saturday 5/13/06 Shuttle run

I'm thinking about organizing a shuttle on Saturday the 13th if anyone is interested. We would be meeting at 9:30 in Colorado Springs at Van Briggle Pottery and then driving to the trailhead about an hour away.

If you haven't done a shuttle with me, the trails involved are loose, technical and fun with about 4,000 feet of descending. This run will not have the climbing aspect that most of my shuttles do, provided we have enough 4x4s to drive to the top. (Although, there is an optional fireroad climb of about 700 feet vertical for some extra downhill.) Big bikes are probably the best choice to bring since we're not climbing much, but 98% of the trail can be ridden on a hardtail and decent skills.

Like usual, the pace will be slow due to the "large group factor." We might be able to break into two groups depending on the number of people coming who know the trail if some want to ride faster. Most of you know the trails involved, and if you do, please don't post trail names here on this thread or any others with pictures--they don't need any publicity.

mtbr member
    Count me in.

non-gumbyish
    Nov 2005
    I am up for a shuttle run. Be there.

Hairshirt Rider
    I won't be joining you, but conditions should be about perfect. We rode the loop from town on Sunday, and there was a bit of snow from the trailhead down to about the first creek crossing. Seems the rest of the trail was in really good condition, but it went by kind of fast

crashes in parkinglot
    i'm in

Cynical Bystander
    I'm in.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    how was it yesterday? still snow up top?

Flowtronic engineer
    Fock!
    I'm on the DL until mid June.
    Fock!
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

Yay! Bikes !

Nick.

Cynical Bystander
    Well darn, I'm out.

I have a funeral to go to in Oak Creek (I think...) then so I'll be out.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

BIKES!!!!
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    how was it yesterday? still snow up top?
    I rode it today, no snow at all.

MPLS transplant
    Apr 2005
    can we move this ride to sunday?

mtbr member
    I would also like to ride it if it's on Sun.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarples
    can we move this ride to sunday?
    Edit: Sunday DOES NOT WORK for me--it's mother's day and we are fixing brunch for my mom on Sunday. It will have to be this Saturday for me or not at all as I'm going to be gone for Memorial Day.
    Last edited by kristian; 05-08-2006 at 07:02 AM.

crashes in parkinglot
    Not sure.

MPLS transplant
    Apr 2005
    saturday will work for me...if we start at 9:30. I could be back by 1:30 or so I figure, right?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcarples
    saturday will work for me...if we start at 9:30. I could be back by 1:30 or so I figure, right?
    Doubtful... It will take us an hour to drive/ride up there, (10:30), a few hours to ride (~12:30) and almost 2 more hours to get the cars and get back down to town (~2:30). If you have a hard stop at 1:30, it is going to be hard to make it UNLESS we don't need your car to drive back up. And we won't know that until we see how many people and how many cars show up on Saturday...

MPLS transplant
    Apr 2005
    I'll probably be fine either way...i'm sure I can swing it.

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Doubtful... It will take us an hour to drive/ride up there, (10:30), a few hours to ride (~12:30) and almost 2 more hours to get the cars and get back down to town (~2:30). If you have a hard stop at 1:30, it is going to be hard to make it UNLESS we don't need your car to drive back up. And we won't know that until we see how many people and how many cars show up on Saturday...
    So does this mean there could essentially be a second pseudo-shuttle in the afternoon?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    So does this mean there could essentially be a second pseudo-shuttle in the afternoon?
    Sure I guess. That would require a fair number of trucks though because it would involve three trips to the top (or two trips of very nice drivers who are willing to let you keep your car at the bottom and let you ride up to the top the second time).

rr
    I don't do PC
    I'm gonna try and make this also

mtbr member
    Sure I guess. That would require a fair number of trucks though because it would involve three trips to the top (or two trips of very nice drivers who are willing to let you keep your car at the bottom and let you ride up to the top the second time).
    What shuttle run are you doing? I am here in Co. Springs with my bike for the week from the NW for my wife's good friends wedding. I left my trailbook on the plane so I am a little out of sorts for my ride plans.

Jon.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    What shuttle run are you doing? I am here in Co. Springs with my bike for the week from the NW for my wife's good friends wedding. I left my trailbook on the plane so I am a little out of sorts for my ride plans.

Jon.
    A fun one! All kidding aside, I don't like to post any trail names or locations on the Internet. The trails we are going to ride are all legal, but just in case some people on the ride want to stop for some "extra corricular activities" off the trail, I would like to keep publicity lowish (if that is possible on a published group ride).

If you can make it on Saturday, we're going to meet at Van Briggle Pottery which is a large brick building on the corner of Cimarron and 21st Street at 9:30. Otherwise, we do a weekly Tuesday ride (tonight at 4:30) in Palmer Park and I would be happy to show you some of the trails there. We meet at the first parking lot from the west entrance of the park off of Paseo Rd.

mtbr member
    A fun one! All kidding aside, I don't like to post any trail names or locations on the Internet. The trails we are going to ride are all legal, but just in case some people on the ride want to stop for some "extra corricular activities" off the trail, I would like to keep publicity lowish (if that is possible on a published group ride).

If you can make it on Saturday, we're going to meet at Van Briggle Pottery which is a large brick building on the corner of Cimarron and 21st Street at 9:30. Otherwise, we do a weekly Tuesday ride (tonight at 4:30) in Palmer Park and I would be happy to show you some of the trails there. We meet at the first parking lot from the west entrance of the park off of Paseo Rd.
    Does the run start with a "J" by chance? I plan on running the "J'DH" on Thu. solo with the wifey dropping me off up top and probably going to roll all the way down to Cheyenne Dr. via Chutes. How many to you typically roll with on a group shuttle ride on Sat.?

- J.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    Does the run start with a "J" by chance? I plan on running the "J'DH" on Thu. solo with the wifey dropping me off up top and probably going to roll all the way down to Cheyenne Dr. via Chutes. How many to you typically roll with on a group shuttle ride on Sat.?

- J.
    There's a plethora of trails and ride combinations in that region. One probably wouldn't know what Kristian has in mind unless they were to go on the ride with him.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast