crashes in parkinglot

Sat at Buff Creek?

Looks like some snow and rain is headed our way again this weekend (40% chance of precip), but still looking to get up and at least look at the Black Jack trail.

Anybody interested, coming from Boulder, can car pool etc. Will try to leave Boulder around 8, to possibly avoid as much wet as can be avoided.

Probably looking to start at the ranger station up the fire road to Shingle to the CT, over to (near) the top of Baldy, down Charlies, up Raspberry ridge down Black Jack, down the remainder of Sandy Wash, back to the car. (names might be a little off, but it will probably be a 20 or so mile ride possibly more).
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    Will see you up there! Black and white Prophet w/ Lefty, a Poison Spider sticker on the downtube and a funky Syntace stem.

Might hit the TH about the same time as we're leaving the Littleton area around 9.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Wish I could make it, the 'rents are in town this wkend...

Blackjack was sweet.

Rolling
    Yes. What a coincidence.

I meeting someone at 8:30 in S boulder. We are driving from s boulder to park at station, do the usual road, gashouse, etc---what you said.

Sounds like the same timing.

If it's just winds up being you, be at my house by 8. Starboard Drive, 5th house on North side from the East. Sorry for the CODE

Rewind"... Dan has a cold so it might not be as big a ride as you are talking.. No CO trail will be harmed on my ride. We are starting from the same spot though.
    Last edited by lidarman; 05-13-2011 at 08:57 PM.

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Yes. What a coincidence.

I meeting someone at 8:30 in S boulder. We are driving from s boulder to park at station, do the usual road, gashouse, etc---what you said.

Sounds like the same timing.

If it's just winds up being you, be at my house by 8. Starboard Drive, 5th house on North side from the East. Sorry for the CODE

Rewind"... Dan has a cold so it might not be as big a ride as you are talking.. No CO trail will be harmed on my ride.
    I don't need a big ride, just want to ride. I'll be at your place at 8.
    Down is the new up.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Here's a pic for inspiration, WKD-RDR on the 1st feature, slot machine... it gets pretty steep about halfway down. I need to work on my camera skills, jeez...

Rolling
    I saw some one slipping out on video on that. Looks like a crazy exit. Thanks Dave.

Can't wait.

Pad-up or lawyer-up!

PS: Attn Parking lot sharks, is this enough info for ya?

Oh, So Interesting!
    If anyone sues anyone because of that trail I foresee another unfortunate... and fatal... accident befalling the plaintiff.

Actually that feature isn't that bad, but not super easy either... about halfway down you're unable to control your speed any longer, but as long as you don't over apply the brakes the exit isn't bad. Have Fun!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    If anyone sues anyone because of that trail I foresee another unfortunate... and fatal... accident befalling the plaintiff.
    D
    For the record (and for the lawyers disclaimer), I invented that moniker to poke fun of the
    "lawyer-up" saying is that is so trendy right now. I rather should say "pad-up, ball-up and insure-up."

We're on the same page.

Arrrgggghhh!!
    Please report back tomorrow on the conditions. I'm trying for Sunday and I skeptical after all this moisture.
    Give 'da people 'da air.

mtbr member

Fire ban

So correct me if I'm wrong but it seams like every post about Buff Creak includes rain or snow. With all this moisture anyone know if thier planning on lifting the fire ban anytime soon?

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny
    So correct me if I'm wrong but it seams like every post about Buff Creak includes rain or snow. With all this moisture anyone know if thier planning on lifting the fire ban anytime soon?
    Was also curious about this- fireclimber?? any input.....

as far as the lawyer talk.....pshhh.....this trail is not for everyone! especially an old guy like me! still nursing a cracked rib but that was actually from overriding the wall ride on the way up raspberry! Then an otb further down black jack.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

I hate bikes.
    semi-double post.... if we still had mods I'd ask them to delete this one.
    Last edited by Captain AmerrickA; 05-15-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Buffalo Creek sucks, stay in Denver next week.

I hate bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny
    So correct me if I'm wrong but it seams like every post about Buff Creak includes rain or snow. With all this moisture anyone know if their planning on lifting the fire ban anytime soon?
    JeffCo Fire/Ban Restrictions have been lifted for unincorporated Jeffco. (Buff Creek etc) Pike National Forest still Stage 1 Restrictions. I think they decided that the whopping 4 inches of snow we got down here on Wednesday was enough to keep the forest from burning up for now..
    go ride!
    Last edited by Captain AmerrickA; 05-14-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Buffalo Creek sucks, stay in Denver next week.

crashes in parkinglot
    woowie, fun damn trail! Thanks COMBA and the NFS!

We had great conditions the entire ride, clouds started to break up as we left the parking lot (we waited till some slower folks let before us just too see what it was like to be a lot shark). As we got to Charlies, it started to get colder. By the time we got back to the car, and were driving through pine it was raining turning to snow. Not sure what conditions will hold for BC tomorrow.
    Down is the new up.

Rolling
    We hit the trail at 10: am, rode till around 2 and as we drove down the road, it started snowing. It's going to be wet tomorrow but unless it rains a lot, the trail will be fine with the gravel-type trail bed. With the damp soil from the last storm, Sandy Wash was perfect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I camped there last night and when we got done riding today it started DUMPING!!! I am guessing a few inches by the time we packed up in an hour or so. It was still dumping all along 126. The dirt/granite was incredible today but i am guessing it won't be ridable tomorrow but buff creek sure has a way of shedding water quick so you never know.

The fire ban was lifted but you can't have fires out there unless it's in a designated campsite with a fire ring and all those campsites are still closed. That's what the forest service told me at the ranger station.

We sat around an led camp light drinking beer and someone from the forest service or possible the jeffco sheriff stopped by to make sure we did not have a fire going. He said he already wrote 6 tickets that night.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    To the rider from Boulder who came to the Ranger Station in Buffalo Creek yesterday looking for shelter and warmth, we have your jacket and arm warmers. Stop by anytime to get them back.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I just moved to the Boulder area (Louisville), and I've been salivating over pics of this trail on mtbr. Is anyone from the Boulder area headed down there this summer, or is it more spring/fall climate?