Thread: San Luis Valley

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

San Luis Valley

I wanted to run an idea by this forum. I have inquired about getting the San Luis Valley listed under Colorado trails section along with The Front Range and the Western Slope. Currently the few rides that are listed seem to mainly be under the Western slope section which isn't really geographically accurate and a little misleading. The Valley is about 8000 square miles and there is a ton of unexplored riding down here. I can think of 8 or so different trails that can be listed right now with more to come after this riding season. So really thats my question, what do you all think about listing the San Luis Valley seperately? Comments appreciated.

G
    [SIZE="7"]Ride[/SIZE]

Team Velveeta™

whole Colorado forums setup needs changed

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffin
    I wanted to run an idea by this forum. I have inquired about getting the San Luis Valley listed under Colorado trails section along with The Front Range and the Western Slope...So really thats my question, what do you all think about listing the San Luis Valley seperately? Comments appreciated.
    I hold the San Luis Valley in high esteem. Great place, lots to love.

But (and I have a pretty big but here), mtbr already has CO totally f'ed up. They need to either fundamentally understand CO geography and use that understanding to drive their forum setup, or just leave it alone.

They have "front range" and "western slope". The front range is the heavily populated part of CO, the cities between Fort Collins and Co Springs (or Pueblo, depending on your definition). Western slope refers to all the land west of the Continental Divide. So there are lots of areas that are neither "front range" nor "western slope". The San Luis Valley is one of those areas. Where I sit, Salida, is another. East of the divide, but not "front range".

More detail on this in this thread.

Further, mtbr describes the Front Range forum as "Boulder, Denver, Jeffco, Summit County and Winter Park". Guess what? Winter Park is on the western slope. Close to the front range, but west of the divide. Summit County? Western slope.

Perhaps somebody who knows about how CO is actually constructed should create the forums for mtbr.

My $.02
    Last edited by TomP; 04-07-2006 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added something IMPORTANT
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"