mtbr member

Salida Pole Pedal Paddle Race 08

The Salida Pole, Pedal, Paddle Race

3P Salida

When: April 19, 2008
    Where: Salida, Colorado
    What: A multi sport race that starts at the top of Monarch Pass with a 7mile, backcountry ski leg, and then 22miles of mountain biking to the Arkansas River to finish with a 6mile whitewater paddle into downtown Salida.
    Who: Menís, Womenís, Juniorís and Mixed Teams or Individual hard-women, hard-men or hard-kids.
    Why: Proceeds from the race benefit the Arkansas River Trust, a non-profit organization based in Salida and committed to ensuring the long term health of the Upper Arkansas River and protecting its place in the culture and economy of the communities the River passes through.

Hope some of you might be psyched to support this event that is coming back after a 7 year lay off. Thanks! Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

is this a tough race?"

Is this a tough race or an easy race? What is the ski and paddle like? THX

mtbr member
    the ski leg starts with a 10 minute, uphill ski. It starts just like the Monarch Crest Trail so you are on the road and trail until you hit the saddle, the crest goes up, the 3p course drops into North Fooses Drainage. The first little bit is a descent into the drainage, nothing too gnarly if you can ski a little, then a rolling ski through the trees.

the boating is class I-II. It will be low then so kind of shallow but moving water for sure. Some paddling skills are required. There is a boat chute past a dam that requires a little bit of whitewater skill but this reach is pretty mellow.

How hard? It is a net downhill race but obviously it requires diverse skills. The three time individual winner 99-01 did it in 2hrs 45mins.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ok

Curious about doing it with a 10 yr old. I've got a tandem mtb and she's a very good skier including nordic skiing. However we are novices in the boat.

mtbr member
    sounds like you need a boater teammate. go to www.mountainbuzz.com to look for a boater.

mtbr member
    month out bump. Hope folks will come out, it is going to be a kick ass event. Afterparty in downtown Salida with gear giveaways, official competitor massage therapist on site, New Belgium Beer. Goodtimes....

mtbr member
    3 P Article

little article in our local paper about the Salida 3 P race
    www.3psalida.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Anyone Going to the Pole Pedal Paddle in Bend, Oregon This Year?

Just wondering if there is anyone attending the Pole Pedal Paddle event in Bend, Oregon?

If anyone's been and how does it compare to Jackson Hole?

We have a social network setup for it: http://bendppp2008.ning.com/

mtbr member
    One week to go. The ski course is in really good shape and with the warm weather predicted for next week it should be fast. The river is over 700 and the river section is very forgiving right now.

Which brings me to the bike course. The bike course is a little snowy. The start of the bike course is ok, south facing so it is pretty dry. Then there is about a mile of railroad grade that is a little snowy. We will work on this section next week and it should be mostly rideable on race day. Once you are at the top of the climb on county road 250 there is a fair bit of snow for 2.5 miles. I walked it today. There are places where it is drifted 3 feet deep and places that are bone dry. People doing the whole race, or the bike section on a team, should be prepared to hike-a-bike/ride combo through this section. This means you need to think about gear that is suitable for some snow. I know some guys down here are thinking about flat pedals. Whatever you want to do.

Pre-race meetings at 7:30pm on Friday the 18th and at 7am on Saturday morning. You must attend one. You can still register up until Friday night, print the form off of the website 3P Salida Poll Pedal Paddle.

Looking forward to hosting you in the Ark Valley!

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harv719
    The bike course is a little snowy.

It, the snow, was sunbaked packed enough to hold up my 8,000' GMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am moving the bike course pending a couple of approvals from the USFS and State Parks. The new descent to the River will be more of a mountain bike ride and I think overall a better course. The route will be the same over the first half. Too much snow down here in the Ark Valley!

Watch for an update on 3psalida.com tomorrow. Thanks!

mtbr member
    What a great day yesterday. Almost perfect. Beautiful weather, smoking fast times, and a fun after party combined to make the return of the Salida 3P a success.

Jesse Rickert, now the 4 time champ in the individual men's was his usual, energizer bunny, self hammering from the top of Monarch Pass to Salida in 2:25. Without a doubt the surprise of the event that everyone was talking about was the showing of the Lacy boys. Mason, 18, was second overall and his younger brother Spencer (16) was third. These two are going to be hurting feelings for years to come at races all over the place. Dad, Gary came in 7th overall. That is a fast family.

Maria Kallman of Boulder won the women's individual and Team Cliffbar Keen set an all time course record of 2:18 in the coed category, 3 Braun Blondes is now the 4 time womens team champ (with my wifey holding down the ski section) and Bird Construction won the Men's with super consistent efforts on all three legs.

The first annual Paul Byers Off The Couch Award, given to the competitor with the highest finish, who combines the latest registration, with the worst gear, was won by...Paul Byers. Paul came in 4th on some super wack gear. It is going to take a really special competitor to unseat this guy from his namesake award.

The personal highlight for me was having my friend Hobie drink a beer, filtered through a hole in the toe of my bootie, to settle a bet we made on who would have the faster paddle time. Those booties have been my go to footwear since 2002. Hope you are feeling allright Homey.

Thanks to everyone who came out and supported the event! This race took an army of volunteers and I am super indebted to all of them for their hard work. Thanks also to all of our sponsors. Can't wait until next year! Here are the results