mtbr member

Salida Good to go?

Any one have any info on the conditions of Arkansas Hills Trail System??? The weather pattern looks like its going to be dry until the rest of the month, and I just need to get on my bike!

Any Info would be great!

Thanks,

NEIL

Team Velveeta™

pretty dry down low

Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    Any one have any info on the conditions of Arkansas Hills Trail System??? The weather pattern looks like its going to be dry until the rest of the month, and I just need to get on my bike!
    Kinda.

Saturday I bundled up and rode laps up there. A little over 2 hours, ~18 singlespeed miles. Started around 1 PM and it was getting pretty cold by the time I went home.

It was more or less dry on the really close-in stuff. Darn good and chilly of course, but very rideable. I have heard of people riding N. Backbone on pretty much continuous packed snow conditions. Since it has stayed cold I'm guessing that there isn't much if any ice but I don't know.

Haven't heard of anybody riding Cottonwood. I wouldn't doubt some people are but I'd expect to find at least a foot or so of snow up top.

This morning we have another skiff of snow. Probably won't shut down the close-in Ark Hills singletrack unless it snows more today. Later week should be fair but chilly.

If you come bring you warmies. But that goes without saying.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Thanks tom, more snow then I had thought! Maybe ill ask you again next week!

Cheers,

Neil

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    Thanks tom, more snow then I had thought! Maybe ill ask you again next week! ...
    Please do, happy to pass along what I know.

But, in one week if conditions on N Backbone and/or Cottonwood have changed in any appreciable way, it will be because it got to be daytime temps in the 60-70s and nighttime temps above freezing. Or because somebody dropped a nuke on us.

In other words, not bloody likely. It's supposed to get warmer than it's been as this week wears on, but it ain't gonna get that warm! Overnight temps in the single digits are the norm here through January and Feb. When it gets that cold overnight, snow on the trail doesn't even start melting until late morning, and that's IF the daytime temp is warm. Unless it's in direct sun. On N. Backbone that's maybe 25% of the trail at most. Lots of it is perma-shade.

N Backbone will have packed snow and/or ice until probably March. Cottonwood will have snow up at the top until about the same time if not later.

But ask whenever you like and I will share what I know.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"