Addicted to Dirt

Salida Big Friggin Loop

Anybody wants to split gas?

Heading down from Lakewood area, probably Friday (6/7) around 5PM unless I can skip work, then around midday. Hoping to camp at the BLM site off 50, return Sunday. Got space for one rider... post here or PM if interested.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    ...Hoping to camp at the BLM site off 50, return Sunday...
    Be aware, the boaters have been flooding into town as the river comes up. That BLM campground (Salida East) is going to be chock full of river rats. You can probably find room, but I wouldn't count on it to be quiet. If you want to be that close and you can live without a toilet, I'd go to the trailhead just west of the RV Park (south side of 50) and drive a ways up the jeep road and throw down a bivvy camp there. Any vehicle can get at least half mile up...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Addicted to Dirt
    Thanks for the info, Tom!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How friggin big is it?

Addicted to Dirt
    Salida Big Friggin Loop (SBFL) | Colorado Endurance Series

106mi or 88mi, choose your poison...

lucky enough
    Hey Tom, Is it possible to head down Mushroom Gulch from Kaufman Pasture? I've eyed that route while driving by.
    And any shrooms in the Gulch?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    Hey Tom, Is it possible to head down Mushroom Gulch from Kaufman Pasture? I've eyed that route while driving by.
    Totally. You just go straight through that Ranch of the Rockies subdivision off Trout Creek staying on the straightest road, then it kind of turns into a two track out into the Pasture. I seem to remember it goes to a cattle tank, then it branches and the two-track part continues on more or less to the east and the Mushroom Gulch road heads down to the southwest. It gets to be a fairly wide graded gravel road down there. You can totally 2wd the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    And any shrooms in the Gulch?
    Ha! I think Mushroom refers to the shape of the rock formations, but there are cows all over. Where you have cow pies you can always have mushrooms!

I see a little herd-let of bighorn sheep down in Castle Rock Gulch every time I'm there. Cool country over there...

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Totally. You just go straight through that Ranch of the Rockies subdivision off Trout Creek staying on the straightest road, then it kind of turns into a two track out into the Pasture. I seem to remember it goes to a cattle tank, then it branches and the two-track part continues on more or less to the east and the Mushroom Gulch road heads down to the southwest. It gets to be a fairly wide graded gravel road down there. You can totally 2wd the whole thing.
    Check...easy dirt/gravel descent, usually past a bunch of RV's, ATV's, and motos camping at the bottom. I have a place in Ranch of the Rockies and ride in that area fairly often.
    baker

Addicted to Dirt
    crickets...

I promise I'm not an ax murderer

Team Velveeta™
    crickets...

I promise I'm not an ax murderer
    I'm not sure how many of the SBFL peeps are doing MTBr on a regular basis. Perhaps you should post your message about ride sharing on the forum part of the endurance series site.

I'm going to be sending out an email to all the riders pretty soon too, I'll mention that I can broker between people who would like to car pool.

Addicted to Dirt
    Bumpity!

Team Velveeta™
    Bumpity!
    Front Range-ists, you might consider that there is a cheap seat here heading up to Salida for the weekend. Even if you aren't doing the SBFL, if you want a weekend in Salida you could throw this dude a few dollars and get up here easy peasy. Riding is really getting good just now.

Just sayin'

Addicted to Dirt
    Thanks for putting this together, Tom! Great course, which was deceivingly difficult! I opted for the base course (I refuse to call a 90 mile loop "short"). Suffered greatly on the SS, and even got dropped by Brian on his fatty. Be back next year for sure. See you at DDC...

Luis

Addicted to Dirt
    BTW the views did not suck

SS Chimp
    Tom does it up right every year
    all single...all the time

mtbr member
    hey guys, heres my race write up. Hope you enjoy and see ya next year!
    Neil Beltchenko: Salida's Big Friggin Loop

mtbr member
    May 2011

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoomer View Post
    Nice reports both of you, Eric and Neil. Glad you had fun. Glad you both crossed that damned new wired, locked, and posted gate! It freaked me out when I hit it, since it was my course and I'd sent y'all out there to follow it. That gate was in a place where it really wasn't an easy choice to turn around. I am pretty sure that a$$h@t rancher had no right to block it off. Prescriptive easement I'd say. I've crossed through there for years and never even knew it was through private land!

I came to that gate, started looking at the horizon to see if I could see any riders who were trying to figure out how to get around (since my head was all messed up from low blood sugar) and ultimately headed back into the wind to Trout Creek. That was a really bad choice... and I didn't even get one of my own damned chips!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice reports both of you, Eric and Neil. Glad you had fun. Glad you both crossed that damned new wired, locked, and posted gate! It freaked me out when I hit it, since it was my course and I'd sent y'all out there to follow it.
    No worries Tom- I was definitely scratching my head and circling back on myself for a bit. For sure not a "legal" closure, but an overzealous, pissed off rancher. I was still listening for any bullets whizzing by head till I crossed the other side.

I came to that gate, started looking at the horizon to see if I could see any riders who were trying to figure out how to get around (since my head was all messed up from low blood sugar) and ultimately headed back into the wind to Trout Creek. That was a really bad choice... and I didn't even get one of my own damned chips!
    Brutal- there was no way I was turning around- and being completely unfamiliar with that area, I didn't have much choice but to push on...

It was an awesome race, and hope to be back next year.

e

Team Velveeta™
    It was basically the worst possible place on the whole long course for a barrier. Full-on point-of-no-return, committed, way-the-hell-from-anywhere bummer. I was actually thinking I needed to get back to Salida, or at least within cell service so I could coordinate a search for people who were off-course looking for a way home.

Good example of the kind of nutty thinking that can get you in trouble when you're 11 hours into a silly big ride.

Regret my own day, but all's well that ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoomer View Post
    Brutal- there was no way I was turning around- and being completely unfamiliar with that area, I didn't have much choice but to push on...

Addicted to Dirt
    Nice job guys. Glad I stayed on the short loop... full hundo next year, I'm sure Tom will do a pre ride recon