mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Safety whistle do you carry one?

I never have but they make sense. Like when I nearly went down an 80 foot vertical dropoff down in Durango a few years ago. Or a few weeks ago when I couldn't walk in the middle of a hike far from anyone else.

There's bound to be differences between brands and styles. What do you carry?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Workin for the weekend!
    I carry one, it's a FOX 40, prolly the loudest you can buy. The real question is can you get to it when you're on the ground and hurt?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I never have but they make sense. Like when I nearly went down an 80 foot vertical dropoff down in Durango a few years ago. Or a few weeks ago when I couldn't walk in the middle of a hike far from anyone else.

There's bound to be differences between brands and styles. What do you carry?
    Interesting thought... They come standard equipment on every one of my ski jackets' main zipper...
    IIRC one even doubles as a bottle opener. It's nothing but a 5₵ piece of plastic.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm guessing there's differences in how loud one is in relation to how hard one has to blow. How easy it might be to get one into your mouth if, say, your hands are out of commission. Where to carry it for instant access. Pea or pea-less (assuming one rides in the winter and the pea might freeze from your breath).
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Motion activated
    This is my whistle... so loud search and rescue can hear it.

Amazon.com: ACR PLB-375 ResQ Link Personal Locating Beacon: GPS & Navigation
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Got a Friends of Berthoud Pass safety whistle like this:

Loudest MF'n whistle I've ever heard.

meh?
    I ride with a bear bell. It's not for bears haha It keeps me from getting into crashes with other riders. It's great, but can be a little annoying. If I get to the parking lot and there are a lot of cars, I'll use it. Otherwise, it stays silent in my pack.

My cousin's got an Osprey pack with a built in whistle on the sternum strap. He have yet to use it. I can imagine it's very practical.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I'm guessing there's differences in how loud one is in relation to how hard one has to blow. How easy it might be to get one into your mouth if, say, your hands are out of commission. Where to carry it for instant access. Pea or pea-less (assuming one rides in the winter and the pea might freeze from your breath).
    The ones on my ski jackets are all pea-less...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Yes, clipped to the very top of my pack with a big caribiner clip so I can reach around and unclip it if I'm not mobile.

mtbr member
    Yes, clipped to the top of my pack also.
    Go over the Obstacles, Not around them.

mtbr member
    Both my first aid/survival kits have one. The small kit goes basically everywhere.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member

Not intentionally, but

when I replaced the sternum strap on my camelbak, the clip had a whistle built in. I've never had to use it, but I'm glad it's there.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Absolutely, and it's clipped to my shoulder strap at about nipple height on a short lead, so I can grab it quickly. Standard ABS plastic coach's whistle that's loud as f*ck-all and doesn't take a lot of breath to blow.

I've never had a problem with it flapping in my face or getting hung up on branches or anything...and I figure I can still reach it if I have a dislocated shoulder or broken collarbone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja View Post
    when I replaced the sternum strap on my camelbak, the clip had a whistle built in. I've never had to use it, but I'm glad it's there.
    I've found those hard to blow loudly, and they sort of sound bird-like through forest. A coach's whistle sound is unmistakable and I think carries much farther....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    I've found those hard to blow loudly, and they sort of sound bird-like through forest. A coach's whistle sound is unmistakable and I think carries much farther....
    I'll admit, it's a little difficult to blow, but it's pretty darn loud. Probably not as loud as your coach's whistle, but it's better than what I used to carry...which was nothing.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got a couple of Jetscreams.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was just in Sports Authority. They only had one and I bought it! Got a cool thermometer, compass, magnifying glass...and, oh yeah, a whistle. I unpackaged it in the car and tested the whistle. About blew my ears out. Should work just fine. Hope I never have to use it. The biggest test will be how hard I have to blow on it to get it to full volume.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33 View Post
    Blow out the SOS pattern. No bird has a call like that...
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮