mtbr member

Route/ride suggestions in Breckenridge

I'm headed to Breck in 2 weeks from now to ride at the annual Yeti Tribe event. We are all camping off of Tiger Rd for the weekend and have a few group ride options for Saturday and I plan to do a ride on Sat from Kenosha to Breck which will be 40miles.

I'm trying to decide on rides for Friday and Sunday and maybe a short lighter ride on Monday before I head home. Any opinions on Peaks Trail or Wellington Trails? I'm considering doing on Sunday the route that is Loop 2 of the Breck 100 since part of it goes right across Tiger Rd and would be easy to access from where we're staying, however after I've read the course description/directions it sounds like a lot of it is on fireroads/forest service roads; which I don't mind a little bit but would prefer a lot more singletrack.

Also, on Sunday night I'll be heading back in town to stay at a friend's house in the heart of Breckenridge and am thinking for Monday just riding from his house over to Breck Ski resort and just riding around the trails there. Doesn't look like from the summer trail map that there is very much mileage(which is ok cause I only want to do maybe 15-20miles before I have to pack and head back to the airport late in the day). How are the trails at the ski resort? I'm an XC racer and not really into DH stuff(or riding DH bike, ride a true 4" travel XC race rig). Would I want/need to ride the lift up and then traverse around the top of the mtn or could I just climb one of the trails up?

mtbr member
    TONY: Green mountain? I donít think so George you get no rush from green mtn
    GEORGE: rush? you want a rush? drop down box of rox my friend, talk about a rush,
    youíd be throbbing, youíd see visions.
    TONY: no no no no, Iím thinking.. kenosha pass
    GEORGE: all right! kenosha pass! ..just the 2 of us? alright! hey Iíll make some sandwiches, what what do you like? tuna? peanut butter?
    TONY: what.. whatever
    GEORGE: alright alright, I gotta buy some bread
    TONY: yeah yeah, you know Iím definitely down for some kenosha pass
    GEORGE: me too, I am down, I am totally down, mark me down

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    First off; People tend to use the term "fire road" as a generic catch all for anything wider than a singeltrack or ATV route that is neither steep or technical. In Summit County we have very little of that. What we have is old mining roads that have become Jeep trails. They are steep, rocky, and not easy by any stretch.

As to suggested routes, loop two of the B100 is a great loop with lots of single track and some jeep road mixed in with a little pavement to tie it all together into a loop.

You can also look at the various loops of the Breck epic
    http://www.breckepic.com/race-course.html

The Keystone, Guyot, and the Colorado Trail loops all use trails in the Swan (Tiger Rd)

For some shorter rides, the free ride guide that is widely available in news stands has some good suggestions.

The ski area has some OK trails for XC type riding (it's for sure not gnarly DH type stuff) but if you want to do any climbing you need to do it after hours. The lift riders don't know what to make of somebody pedaling a bicycle uphill.

Inflexable...
    Many of the bike shops and visitor information center will have a trail map that is specific to Summit County call something like "Hiking and Biking in Summit County". This map is a detailed view of the area and will have every trail with difficulty rating. This map is $15 and is very useful.

There are trails to ride down from the lift ride up. These are also on that map. That map is also free online here:

http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/Mo...ocumentid=1202
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You can ride up the service roads at the resort any time you want. Riding up the trails is not a good idea. I ride up Keystone and Breck service roads pretty frequently and then ride the trails on the downhill.

Definitely hit up the Peaks trail. Great as an in/out breck to frisco and back or vice versa. All the stuff off Tiger road in the Swan mtn area is great singletrack xc. Anywhere you see the CT you are guaranteed a good ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd skip the ski resort trails. I've never been a fan whether I ride up or lift up. If you do go up the resort make sure you take Game trail down. You'll find better trails and less crowds anywhere else in Breck. Peaks trail is great. I'd also recommend making a loop of the Boreas pass area (Baker's Tank, Nightmare, etc.)