mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Route Question: Georgia Pass to Keystone

We're riding Kenosha to Keystone and back this weekend and are finalizing the route. I have searched and found other threads on this topic, but have a specific question. I want the best possible downhill (yes I do know there will be some climbing too) from Georgia Pass to Keystone.

I'm thinking Colorado Trail to West Ridge and try to get over to the main mountain and do a DH run to end the day. Is there a trail from the Outpost Restaurant (far side of the outpost gondola) to the top of Dercum Mountain? Or from the bottom of the Ruby Express to the top o Dercum? I'm assuming there are at least gravel cat roads going to the top, but don't know for sure where they are.

I want to avoid coming down Keystone Gulch Rd. If we can't get through I would just do the Aqueduct, but doing a 40oz lap to end things sounds like so much more fun.

Thanks for the help!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is a ski area access road that goes from the head of Keystone Gulch to the top of Keystone (Dercum) mountain. It's been a while since I've done it so I don't remember exactly where it is but I'm fairly sure it takes off from Keystone Gulch pretty high up. I'd guess it's in the summer trail map, or maybe even on the winter trail map shown as a green trail. It is definitely a maintained dirt road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The road ZRM speaks of is hard to miss above the warming hut at the end of the gulch road. If you drop off West Ridge you will dump right out on the road and it's a steep climb from there. FYI- the lifts are closed this weekend so I'm not sure if they will be happy to see people riding down the mountain. There is a thread going here:

Just a heads up about Keystone!