mtbr member
    Jan 2004

route from leadville to kenosha pass?

i'm looking for a route from leadville to kenosha pass other than the colorado trail. either over mosquito pass or weston pass to fairplay maybe. then along the mountains just northwest of 285. anybody spent much time in those areas? thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've gone over Weston Pass, and followed road 426, and somewhere in there is a road called Breakneck Pass. Made my way to Alma, and that's bout all the further I got since I live in Leadville. Been a few years since that ride. I may do it again. There are ways more in the direction of Fairplay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

More

Quote Originally Posted by roaddog
    I've gone over Weston Pass, and followed road 426, and somewhere in there is a road called Breakneck Pass. Made my way to Alma, and that's bout all the further I got since I live in Leadville. Been a few years since that ride. I may do it again. There are ways more in the direction of Fairplay.
    Right. From Breakneck Pass, you would head into Fairplay and then north out of Fairplay on Beaver Creek Road. There is a trail that runs from there around the north side of Mt. Silverheels all the way to Como. From Como, I think you would have to work your way to Kenosha Pass on county roads, since almost all the land between there and Kenosha Pass is private. I am not aware of any way to get from the Como/Boreas Pass area over to Georgia Pass and to the Kenosha Pass trails. That doesn't mean it isn't possible though.

About 10 years ago Park County published a mountain bike trail book written by Gary Nichols, the Park County Tourism director. Give that office a call and I'm sure they'll help out. Let us know. There is some great riding in Park County, but only about three months out of the year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

routes from Como to Kenosha

As honkinunit said, you can get from Fairplay to Como on a trail that cuts between Mt. Silverheels and Little Baldy Mountain. I have never been on this trail but towards Como it will dump you out onto the Gold Dust Trail. From there you can head up and over Boreas and down to Bakers Tank and from there you could head towards French Pass or continue to Tiger Run and hit the Colorado Trail there and over to Kenosha.

Or you can go down the Gold Dust and into Como. From there go across 285 and there are numerous County Roads that could get you over to Lost Park Road and from there you could catch the Colorado Trail back up to Kenosha Pass. This way is approximately 30 miles and about 16 turns. You can PM me if interested in that way and I will give you road names. 10 miles on 285 from Como to Kenosha but I try to stay off of that road at all costs - JMHO.

The previous way over Boreas - you can follow the Firecracker course but once again if you are not familiar with this area numerous turns and places to get lost. This way is mostly single track and fun trails.

Good luck and have fun!
    Half fast, not slow, not fast... just half fast.