mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Rode South Shore on my New GT Carbon Expert

Rode South Shore on my New GT Carbon Expert with Vance from Vances Bicycle World. You know there's good customer service when the owner of the bike shop gives me a killer deal, and then goes riding Saturday morning before his shop opens .

I had a 2002 Specialized Rockhopper Pro that I did many upgrades on, and not as much riding as I would like to have the last few years so I was out of shape on this ride lol. I did do pretty well on the 10+ mile loop starting at the gate on 96. I'm not too familiar with the trail names yet, but south shore was pretty fun. We got there at about 9 so things were just starting to thaw out so it wasn't too muddy yet.

I also rode clipless my first time using M520 pedals and some ratcheting Specialized riding shoes. I fell over at hill next to the gate, and on one of the climbs on south shore, but it was nothing bad. Other than that I can't believe I never rode clipless. I can't wait to get back in shape and use these pedals to their full potential. Pulling up while pushing down brings a pretty noticeable increase in speed.

This is also my first time on a full suspension, disk brakes, and a 6" travel 28 pounder at that. I hit stuff at a lot higher speeds than I would have on my hard tail any day, and it's weird not to feel every little bump let alone big ass bumps lol. I didn't try to jump it too much as I wanted to get the feel of the clipless, new bike, and the full suspension.

If anybody wants to ride hit me up. I'm off after 2:30 during the week, and weekends are open most of the time.

Also if you ever need anything while in Pueblo look up Vances Bicycle world. I've been going there for about 6 years now and has always been great to deal with.

Now I need to start buying some good riding gear .

Excuse the mess, oh yeah that's the wife's GT Avalanche. I wish I had some riding pictures, next time I promise

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    BTW I need to invest in a spare tire mounted bike rack, any recommendations? I'd like one that I can lock our bikes to.

I need it for this beater

Oh, So Interesting!
    Nice Bike!

Thule T2 seems to be the most popular rack. I'm happy with mine, go with the 2" version if you can.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd go with a hitch style bike rack, but I don't have one yet. Trying to wait to install a hitch when I build a rear bumper. So right now I need one to mount to the spare tire carrier. I've seen some that bolt down on top of the tire, but I'd like to see if anyone has any experience with one.

Thanks

Chris

Getting Fit
    Nice bike

Good job using clipless for the first time on an actual trail and not getting hurt

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RicanMTB'r
    Nice bike

Good job using clipless for the first time on an actual trail and not getting hurt
    It wasn't as bad as I always imagined it would be. I've always ridden platforms and I figured why not go all out on a new bike and get used to it with clipless. I had some encouragement from my buddy in Colorado Springs who is an ex Pro rider, and also reading on the forum about experiences so I had pre conditioned my self >

I'm quite impressed. Now I need to ride with riding shorts instead of jeans ha ha. I have done some pretty long rides with blue jeans and shorts before including riding up the Greenhorn, and down san carlos on my hard tail LOL. Guess I didn't know any better .

I'm with stupid
    Nice ride, I have the Sanction which is the same i drive system and you will like it.