A Guy Who is Going Places

Rocky Mountain High Gathering '07, a few pictures and words.

Another Rocky Mountain High gathering. I’ve been living here in Colorado for a few years now, so these annual gatherings are becoming a much anticipated part of the yearly cycle. I’ve been fortunate to meet some really good people here and it is a nice excuse to head out to some desirable corner of the state and ride bikes, drink beer and camp out.

This year’s gathering was in Steamboat Springs, which is a chunk of Colorado that I have always liked. The terrain is varied, undulating and chunky here, which makes for some excellent riding. There also happens to be the second best hot springs in the state just north of town.

Dave and I scratched out of town in the late afternoon and made a beeline for the Official Rocky Mountain High Gathering ’07 camp ground up at the to of Rabbit Ears Pass at Dumont Lake. We found our group leader there and after only a small amount of kerfuffle, we headed hot springs-ward, with a complaisant group leader in tow.

We set up the attack plan B campsite, soaked, watched the stars come out and had a pasta dinner that couldn’t be beat. Slept the sleep of the just, woke up, soaked some more, had a breakfast that couldn’t be beat, organized the shuttle via cell phone and finally headed back up the pass to start the day’s ride.

Fish Creek Falls. I’ve hiked it many a time. And on each of those times I have longed for my bike. The Continental Divide Trail passed right through our campground, so we took that up to the Fish Creek Falls intersection. It is a lovely section of trail. The climb is remarkably gentle, and after it tops out you wander through relatively flat high country, through forests, past lakes. Idyllic, I tell you, idyllic.

Ed and Randall, with others in tow.

Randall leading the charge, Papa Joel just aft, Ed, despite the implicit limitations of his suspension and wheel size, is not giving up.

This whole thread, by the way, is as much about Joel's dog Randall as it is about anyone else. Fair warning. I hope you like dogs. He's a lovely creature.

A restful spot.

And on we went, past a whole different lake. Don't go thinking that is the same lake as in the last picture because it's not. There's all kinds of lakes up there.

A lunch spot next to (you guessed it!) a lake. Joel enjoys a Peeburr, Dave enjoys a calm moment in the last tempestuous weekend that he will get to spend with those sunglasses.

...and Randall just enjoys being a dog.

Gentle singletrack, for now....

...but soon we got to the chunky stuff.

(that there is an analogue radial blur, no photoshop filters were harmed in the creation of said blur)

He has a wrist brace on, it most likely still hurts like hell, but he's still smiling.

As is this fellow.

Marko, our excellent regional guide.

WW?

S.T.I.L.

WWB?

still smiling

It just goes on and on. Fish Creek Falls is a heaping helping of chunky goodness and you should turn off the computer and get out thee before the snow covers it all up for the year.

ick

Darn. That's the end.

We packed up the truck and headed back up the pass, for well deserved beers and another pasta dinner that couldn't be beat.
    Last edited by anthonys; 08-14-2007 at 06:28 AM.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    awesome pics!

looks like one hell-of-a-ride

jeny jo

woohoo!!

...images that can't be beat, Anthony! nice!

i can't believe you ride like you do w/ that huge camera strapped to your chest.

great to get another ride with you... and even some camp fire time!

perhaps we could all put together a mid to late fall gathering (small). get some cooler/cold ... possibly first snow type of riding/camping in? i have a couple spots in mind.

anyway. nice job. thanks so much for sharing.

jj

Lust for Life
    Quote Originally Posted by jenamin
    ...images that can't be beat, Anthony! nice!

i can't believe you ride like you do w/ that huge camera strapped to your chest.

great to get another ride with you... and even some camp fire time!

perhaps we could all put together a mid to late fall gathering (small). get some cooler/cold ... possibly first snow type of riding/camping in? i have a couple spots in mind.

anyway. nice job. thanks so much for sharing.

jj
    Amazing shots man, well done! Snow ride, hmmm where could we do that?.?.?

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    A lunch spot next to (you guessed it!) a lake. Joel enjoys a Peeburr, Dave enjoys a calm moment in the last tempestuous weekend that he will get to spend with those sunglasses.
    I didn't get a chance to tell you guys, since you ran off with some girls to the hot springs, but I went looking for those shades by the river, where they were last seen, when I went back to town on Saturday night, and they were nowhere to be found.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

trail waggler

Wow...

That's some awesome stuff!! I feel like the kid that missed Christmas, this year anyway.

Looks like you guys had a stellar time! If I would have won the lottery, I would've been there for sure!!

Great pics Anthony!!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    but I went looking for those shades by the river, where they were last seen, when I went back to town on Saturday night, and they were nowhere to be found.

_MK
    Amazingly those sunglasses were found that day, only to be completely and finally lost on the highway in a spectacular coffee dregs dumping incident.

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I didn't get a chance to tell you guys, since you ran off with some girls to the hot springs,
    mmmm, have I mentioned lately how my life completely sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Amazingly those sunglasses were found that day, only to be completely and finally lost on the highway in a spectacular coffee dregs dumping incident.
    Kind of reminds me of how I've lost a few baseball caps. By the way, has anyone found a pair of Oakley sunglasses along the Mighty Clear Creek in Golden?

Beautiful posts and pictures Anthony. How am I ever going to match the storyline and quality - nevermind, I won't even try I'll just post 'em.

Another great weekend banked in the memory vaults.

Ed E

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Kind of reminds me of how I've lost a few baseball caps. By the way, has anyone found a pair of Oakley sunglasses along the Mighty Clear Creek in Golden?
    And while we're at it, a set of Oakley Mars along Mill Creek in Moab?

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Beautiful posts and pictures Anthony. How am I ever going to match the storyline and quality - nevermind, I won't even try I'll just post 'em.

Another great weekend banked in the memory vaults.

Ed E

Ed, ya done just fine.

Here's an annoying web gallery of some of the rest of the images, I not only didn't post a bunch of the bad ones, but I also didn't post a few of the good ones... Confused yet?

http://www.anthonysloan.com/rmh07gallery

short skirt, long jacket

How 'bout Idaho!?

Quote Originally Posted by jenamin

jj
    McCall/Tamarack
    I'll be there all through October, with a large house and deck all to myself(!) and lotsa high alpine terrain. Since you guys can't get that at home and all..
    I really need to change my avatar

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The beginning of the trail to Fish Creek Falls

I've tried to find some info but haven't found specifics like: if I've driven to the top of Rabbit Ears Pass, how do I get to the actual start of the trail that eventually gets to FCF? What's the trail called at that point and is it signed? I'm guessing it's near Dumont Lake? Are there any turnoffs from that trail on the way to FCF to either take or avoid? And, I only ask this because I've had to limit my mileage these days due to various injuries, how long is the "idyllic singletrack" before the three mile rock garden? Thanks.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Your retarded
    If you do end up going to Fish Creek falls, remember to take your broad sword to protect against mountain kitties. We saw a total of zero mountain lions up there. That totally justifies carrying a dagger.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member

Good job! Just rode it last night

XC guy,

You are at the wrong end of the trail - start from the Summit Lake end of the CDT, head East to Fish Creek Reservoir until you see a gate; go around the gate and stay on the road until you see the Fish Creek Falls Trail sign taking you to the right and then onto the trail.

From Rabbit Ears, park at the Monument (next to Dumont Lake), go on the two track for 5 miles until you intersect Base Camp TH and signs for WY Trail. WY Trail to 4 way in the woods - 4 miles - go left to Long Lake - 1 mile - go right when you T in front of the lake, around the lake to the right and you will intersect with Fish Creek Falls Trail - you will know you are going the right way when Long Lake is on your left.

After that, get ready for some steep, techhy fun. Advice: don't go on a weekend - too many hikers coming up and too few lines going down.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You're a funny guy, Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    If you do end up going to Fish Creek falls, remember to take your broad sword to protect against mountain kitties. We saw a total of zero mountain lions up there. That totally justifies carrying a dagger.
    Or at least you think you are.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    XC guy,

You are at the wrong end of the trail - start from the Summit Lake end of the CDT, head East to Fish Creek Reservoir until you see a gate; go around the gate and stay on the road until you see the Fish Creek Falls Trail sign taking you to the right and then onto the trail.

From Rabbit Ears, park at the Monument (next to Dumont Lake), go on the two track for 5 miles until you intersect Base Camp TH and signs for WY Trail. WY Trail to 4 way in the woods - 4 miles - go left to Long Lake - 1 mile - go right when you T in front of the lake, around the lake to the right and you will intersect with Fish Creek Falls Trail - you will know you are going the right way when Long Lake is on your left.

After that, get ready for some steep, techhy fun. Advice: don't go on a weekend - too many hikers coming up and too few lines going down.
    I appreciate your help.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Or at least you think you are.
    I dunno...that dagger comment was good stuff.