mtbr member

RockShox Ride Experience at Winter Park

Hi everyone,

The RockShox Ride Experience van will be at Winter Park this weekend, July 14th-15th from 8am-4pm.
    We have SID 26 and 29, Revelation 26 and 29, Lyrik, Totem, BoXXer, Monarch and Monarch Plus as well as Vivid Air and Coil. Bring YOUR OWN BIKE to us and we'll swap the suspension, tune it for you, and send you out to try it on your own trails!
    Check out more at www.SRAM.com/RideExperience.com. An appointment IS NOT NECESSARY, you can show up anytime!
    Let me know if you have any questions and we hope to see you there!

mtbr member
    I will be there! Save a Vivid Air for me

Living the High Life
    Hmmm, tempting as I always rip on Rock Shox. But to be fair it's been a few years since I've put time on a Boxxer so I'm always up to try out new gear. It would be interesting to swap my Dorado/Revox to a Boxxer/Vivid. Do you have the Vivid yoke for a Demo8?

mtbr member
    What year Demo 8 do you have? We may be able to use the yoke from your shock which is what we do on the Monarch Pluses that we have for Stumpjumpers/Enduros. We can definitely look at it with you. If nothing more you should definitely check out one of the BoXXer World Cups that we have.

Stand back
    Sorry to hear it conflicts with the race at Snowmass this weekend, as I'm interested to try out a Monarch Plus on my Enduro. Are there any other events you'll be having in CO?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    I will be at the Colorado Freeride Festival also at Winter Park running from July 26th-29th.

Thread Terrorist
    This is a great experience. I had shy'd away from Rockshox many years ago, following the Marz / Fox route. I took the challenge last year at Apex with my classic Nomad, switching to a Lyric DH 170 Solo AIr and a Vivid shock. The RS components blew my RC4 (brand new) and Marz 66SL out of the water.
    I ended up buying a completely new bike, setup with Vivid Air and a Lyric. I liked the Vivid enough to buy one for my V10. Although I still have the RC4 for a few events, I'm completely sold on the RS forks and shocks. In the DH scene, I struggled to get that Fox 40 working right. I had it rebuilt 20+ times, never could get it to work right, ever.
    The RockShox team are simply out in front of the competition by a year or two.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by lil29er View Post
    What year Demo 8 do you have? We may be able to use the yoke from your shock which is what we do on the Monarch Pluses that we have for Stumpjumpers/Enduros. We can definitely look at it with you. If nothing more you should definitely check out one of the BoXXer World Cups that we have.
    Oh yeah, that would help. I just assume everyone (well at least 50% of CO anyway) rides a 2011 or newer like me.

The yoke on my 2011 has been custom modified to fit a Manitou Revox so I don't know if a Vivid will fit.

mtbr member
    @Ithnu.....bring what you have out and we'll see what we can do. I believe that the eyelets on your Manitou are 12mm while the Vivid is 1/2" so it may not work. If you can round up a stock yoke to bring as well that may help our chances. We'll definitely take a look and see what we can do for you! If nothing more we'll throw a BoXXer on and send you out....not a bad day I'd say!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had the opportunity to participate in their event last fall at Apex and was very impressed with their program and the event. I would say that if you can make it there absolutely take them up on the opportunity!

-E

mtbr member
    So will your doors actually be open right at 8am? Indecent's post about his Vivid Air in the SC forum is actually what prompted me to try it out. That being said, I want to get it fitted as early as possible because I want to pedal it up some hills to see how it climbs before I take it up the lift, so I plan on being there early.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by lil29er View Post
    @Ithnu.....bring what you have out and we'll see what we can do. I believe that the eyelets on your Manitou are 12mm while the Vivid is 1/2" so it may not work. If you can round up a stock yoke to bring as well that may help our chances. We'll definitely take a look and see what we can do for you! If nothing more we'll throw a BoXXer on and send you out....not a bad day I'd say!
    I believe it will work, 12mm to 1/2" is only 0.027". I was under the impression the Vivid needed a custom yoke because the rebound knob (or something else) was in a different place relative to the stock Fox RC4 that came on it. The Revox fit in the right orientation; the change was removing some material to allow room for the larger eyelet on the shock.

Anyway, I should be there.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    As I mentioned on twitter, your registration form does not have the WP location. I filled it out anyway, and would like to try a Vivid RC2, air and coil.

Direct link to form: RockShox Ride Experience Application | Page 1 of 2
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Living the High Life
    Well now I decided to ride Keystone instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great event guys. I stopped by early too, to swap out my 150 Revelation and DHX Air on my Classic Nomad to a 170 Lyric and Vivid Air. I was coming from a QR Revelation so I also got to try out a 20mm thru AM wheel.

I did back-to-back ride tests between my new and old setup. Doing some climbing, including some techy climbing, I didn't really notice much of a difference. The downhill was noticably smoother, and a less harsh on the bigger hits. I should have taken some more air out of the Lyric though, as I left a good amount of travel unused.

This was my first day ever downhilling, and I just started biking last August, so I didn't really push it beyond Rainmaker. Holy shite those lips are big, I was getting bucked all over the place - is it normally like that? Gonna have to take a class to learn how to manage those lips properly. That said, I cleared some of the tables, and almost cleared some others... haha. Also did a few runs down Search and Siezure, Pipe Cut, Boulevard, Boot Camp, Bear Arms, Double Jeopardy, Shy Ann and Long Trail. Wanted to get on No Quarter, but I had to leave before I got a chance.

Since it was my first day doing this kind of stuff, and I only had an AM helmet and no body armor, I'd probably want to go back and do this type of trial again, when I really know what I'm doing and my own improvement in riding throughout the day wouldn't factor in.

Once again, thanks guys!

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Demo'd a Vivid Air on my Demo, and after some initial tweaking, I felt it performed better then my RC4. I was able to punish successive laps on about every trail without any noticeable fading. I am not a suspension expert, I just know when something feels right or wrong. The Vivid Air felt right, and as a bonus looked pretty sweet. Thanks to Nick and SRAM for hooking up the demo.

(example photo)
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Great event guys. I stopped by early too, to swap out my 150 Revelation and DHX Air on my Classic Nomad to a 170 Lyric and Vivid Air. I was coming from a QR Revelation so I also got to try out a 20mm thru AM wheel.

I did back-to-back ride tests between my new and old setup. Doing some climbing, including some techy climbing, I didn't really notice much of a difference. The downhill was noticably smoother, and a less harsh on the bigger hits. I should have taken some more air out of the Lyric though, as I left a good amount of travel unused.

This was my first day ever downhilling, and I just started biking last August, so I didn't really push it beyond Rainmaker. Holy shite those lips are big, I was getting bucked all over the place - is it normally like that? Gonna have to take a class to learn how to manage those lips properly. That said, I cleared some of the tables, and almost cleared some others... haha. Also did a few runs down Search and Siezure, Pipe Cut, Boulevard, Boot Camp, Bear Arms, Double Jeopardy, Shy Ann and Long Trail. Wanted to get on No Quarter, but I had to leave before I got a chance.

Since it was my first day doing this kind of stuff, and I only had an AM helmet and no body armor, I'd probably want to go back and do this type of trial again, when I really know what I'm doing and my own improvement in riding throughout the day wouldn't factor in.

Once again, thanks guys!
    The bucking can from from a few things, but mostly rider position and not pre-compressing the suspension. Put all your weight on the pedals. Xc guys usually put positive pressure on the handlebars, which is bad for jumping.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park