mtbr member

Rock Wall At Apex on a Single Speed?

Anybody getting that rock wall on a singlespeed at apex? Beginning of the trail before first junction?

"I want it now!"

ya

ya, i've gotten it, but my riding buddy (capt. dfd) barely gets his front wheel over the first rock.

mtbr member
    If I were to set up my singlespeed with a 22-24 gear, I could make it once in a blue moon.

mtbr member
    I run a pretty big gear (34x20 on a 29er) for 'round here and I can't quite make it on the single. I stall out in the last couple feet where the grade increases a little. Perhaps if I ever took the time to try it a couple times and got angry at it I might be able to do it. I *can* ride it with gears.

mtbr member
    I've gotten my front wheel just up to the top before my back wheel spins out on the sand. Close, but no bananas. I'm still getting used to leaning way back while standing. It's my first summer on SS, so spin-outs are pretty typical for me.

Edit:

I run the same combo as you, Feldy. What are you riding? I rarely see SSers on that trail and I've only ever seen one other 29er (it was geared).
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

mtbr member
    I was running a 34/18 and just changed to a 34/20 on my 29er. I am determined.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    I run the same combo as you, Feldy. What are you riding? I rarely see SSers on that trail and I've only ever seen one other 29er (it was geared).
    See my handle (i.e. home built). It's got some really ugly rattle-can primer gray on it. My wife's has a nice blue powdercoat.

I went through a period last spring where I saw a single every ride. And I've seen a few 29er singles down here recently, too. I saw 2 Black Sheeps on one day at Red Rocks, and they weren't in the same group.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've seen a few guys on custom 29" ss at redrocks, but never at Apex. Why the hell anyone would want to do red rocks on a ss, I have no idea. Combine it with Dakota and that trail is ruthless punishment without gears. I rode there last night and decided wisely to dust off my 'other' bike.

mtbr member
    I'm with Lucky 7, can't quite crest the top! I may have been one of the Black Sheeps at Apex or Red Rocks (26" flat black cruiser, running 32X18) and FreakyC may have been the other.
    Lucky 7, believe it or not I can ride Dakota MUCH better on my SS than I ever did on a full squish, take that 29er up there and see how well she does!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Really? I was actually thinking that the niner might be good over that fissured, rocky crud along dakota ridge, but it seems like I'd burn to the ground without gears on some of those steep sections. And then there's those switchbacks at redrocks....

I'll have to give it a try, though. I'm always open to a little punishment.

mtbr member
    Speaking of singlespeeds....

I have gone out to buff creek/green mtn loop and lair of the bear on my surly 1x1 with 32x18 (26 inch wheels). I have had fun and can push the gears fine - no walking.

I went to chimney gulch yesterday and gave up after the initial switch backs and the first time you cross Lookout Mtn road. Is this something you guys do with gearing like that. In other words, should I just keep practicing and getting stronger, get a bigger rear cog, just suck it up and the rest of the trail gets easier on a singlespeed....

mtbr member
    I think you nailed it. If you don't change your gearing, plan on walking a lot. Or, do as I do and just avoid that trail with the ss bike until you feel like you've improved your strenght and endurance. I'm fine with some walking, but too much gets old. I'm out to ride, not walk, afterall.

If you do try chimney, start at the lower lookout mtn road crossing. It's not as bad from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    Why the hell anyone would want to do red rocks on a ss, I have no idea. Combine it with Dakota and that trail is ruthless punishment without gears.
    Huh? It's a relatively flat ride for around here. No 1000' climbs, at least. The first climb up DR is hard but doable. I can't do 2nd half of the climb out of the saddle without gears, but few can do it with gears, so whatever. The climb up RR from the bottom is kinda rough. I tend to ride along the bottom rather than go to the top of Morrison Slide. I think the slide trail rides better North to South, which I can almost do on my single except for that really bad switchback and the one up on the descent on the south side (was that complicated enough?)

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    I went to chimney gulch yesterday and gave up after the initial switch backs and the first time you cross Lookout Mtn road. Is this something you guys do with gearing like that. In other words, should I just keep practicing and getting stronger, get a bigger rear cog, just suck it up and the rest of the trail gets easier on a singlespeed....
    I ride Chimney/Apex pretty often but I tend to skip the switchbacks at the bottom, going up the road as Lucky suggested. I can do them (though not all on a single), but tI usually find them to be not all that fun. After that really rocky switchback on Chimney (3rd from the road), it's pretty much smooth sailing to Windy Saddle, so you might've given up too soon. The top section has a few tough spots, and the extentended steep part from the last switchback to the summit is a real killer (I can't make the whole thing if I'm not in decent shape, and it always hurts some), but overall I don't think it's too bad on a singlespeed. Much like DR (and lotsa places, actually), there's small parts I can't ride on my single, but I usually see others walking, too.

mtbr member
    I'm certainly not a litmus test for single-speed trails, but I have a really hard time in that tight, techy stuff. I lose all of my momentum and stall out. Dakota isn't much of a climb, but the rocks would kill me. The red rocks climb isn't bad either, but again, the rocks and switchbacks get me every time, and I always ride it with gears. Going around the eastern side is nice, though, I'll give you that.

Like I said, the only way for me to really know for sure is to try it. Maybe this weekend...

I can't ride 45!
    What's up clay? Is that the surly you picked up from Wheatridge?

mtbr member
    Give it a try and let me know what you think. I do know that it is easier after a rain and the sand on the top rocks gets washed away. Good Luck!! Keep the momentum!!

Slacker

I ride my Ss 29er

At Apex often, i can clean that wall and almost everthing over there. Same with dakota ridge/MW's, the only section i can't make are the log stairs on the 2nd set of switchbacks south on where zorro cuts in. But its basically in my back yard and i ride that very often

Members who have read this thread: 0