mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Rock Fall Danger Near Yankee Doodle Lake

This past weekend, I rode from the up over Rollins Pass to Winter Park. While passing Yankee Doodle Lake, where many people were camping, my riding partner and I heard some rock fall near the Needle's tunnel area. We stopped and waited a minute to make sure that the slope was stable before crossing below, then proceeded carefully past. As we get closer we see two people in red shirts riding dirt bikes launching the largest boulders they could pick up off the side of the mountain onto a scree slope. We yelled up to them to stop, but they only stopped when my partner screamed *******s really loud.

As a climber I am aware of the dangers of rock throwing, and I didn't think it was possible that anyone who spends time in the outdoors would do such a thing, but apparently people are dumber than I thought. I was totally baffled that people were getting enjoyment out of starting mini rock slides above a commonly used road that people, including many kids, were using.

Watching this was especially disturbing because of the recent news about a climber being killed by a rock tossed off a cliff. Rocky Mountain News

This climbing incident has brought up a lot of discussion the stupidity of throwing rocks on mountainproject, so I won't elaborate on why throwing large rocks, especially above a scree slope, is a bad idea. While climbing it is important to be aware of what is above and below you, but I have rarely thought about rockfall dangers while biking, and I realize that I should start. So bikers, be aware of your surroundings and try to educate others about the dangers of rock throwers.

Your retarded
    Don't throw rocks, throw grenades. Make it count.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

"the" fashion advisor

Backcountry--Winter Park Area

Quote Originally Posted by cider
    This past weekend, I rode from the up over Rollins Pass to Winter Park. While passing Yankee Doodle Lake...........
    No doubt, what a bunch of idiots. On a related note, what route do you take up/over Rollins Pass into Winter Park. My family has a place up off Cty Road 8 in Fraser and I do some backcountry riding from there place on occasion and can string together a ride from their place up onto Broken Thumb and up onto Rollins Pass--what route do you take on the other side of the divide?

How is the riding up there--wide open doubletrack or what? I'm always looking for some new/off the beaten path routes/rides up that way and will actually be up there this weekend riding.

You ride High Lonesome/Caribou lately? Wondering if its any good this year.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.