Bad Andy

roadie question - clear creek trail

I am planning to start commuting to work again at least one day a week, and wondered if anyone knows the condition (open or closed) of the clear creek trail where it passes under I70 by where they're doing all the work at the I70/Youngfield area. Is the path open during the week? I rode it Sat, and it was open, but a "path closed" sign was sitting off to the side, and I wondered if it is just open for the weekend?
    If it is closed, is it an easy and safe detour - 32nd?
    I am going from Golden to basically I70 and Federal (52nd and Zuni). In the past have just used the clear creek path pretty much to Sheridan.
    Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    If it is closed, is it an easy and safe detour - 32nd?
    don't know if the path is open/closed, but i do know that athalliah prefers the route on 32nd vs. the CC path on her commutes between g-town and d-town... slowerthensnot probably has an informed opinion too.

fwiw, i've ridden the path during the week (and during construction) but not that recently, so can't confirm/deny current status.

Which way? Uphill.
    It's been 2 months since I rode that section, but they used to have a worker there to stop people and then they will let you ride through when the opportunity presented itself.

It kinda sucks if it's cold out and you have to wait 5 or 6 minutes to start up again, you can chill down easily.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    gd is correct, I do prefer 32nd. Sometimes I jog over at Pierce to 26th and eventually drop over to 23rd by REI. Normally I do this right around Sloans Lake. I generally leave dt via 23rd due to the Highlands happy hour on 32nd. Too many drunk people opening car doors.

This is the route I would take:

32 to Speer. Go straight at this intersection, headed to Highlands Park. Continue W on 32nd. Take a left on Zuni and continue N to 52nd.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I'm a fan of 26th to Pierce, then bumping up to 29th. After crossing Speer it feeds into some other street (really quite natural, but I don't know the street names) and comes out on the street to the north of REI. It's a steep climb out, so I usually cross over to Water street/23rd for the climb out.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Armchair Sasquatcheror

32nd

Yep 32 is the way to go. This is the route I take from Golden to Denver and back. Scenic, little traffic excpet the trucks near Coors, and it's relatively flat. I can go a bit quicker if If I head straight down Colfax but then you have the risk of getting hit by some aggro in an Escalade.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Do use caution right around the Coors plant, especially at night. 32nd wasn't designed for the weight and frequency of factory traffic and as a result there are undulations in the pavement. Not trying to play mother hen; just trying to spread the word

mtbr member

tiny rider
    For updated information on all of the bike paths/trails you can check http://denvertrails.com which won't tell you the best route but can certainly clear up what's open and the official detours.

Bad Andy
    Thanks all!

After riding it today (it was open all the way), I think I'll try athallia's suggestion next time.
    I never like riding those trails by the water, there are so many frikkin' bugs, and of course this afternoon was no exception. Plus, the oblivious walkers, moms with strollers, dog walkers, etc taking up the whole trail and with head phones so they can't hear you even if you scream.

The Golden commuters should all set up a meeting time at GCB one evening!!! (or at ibelieveinsasquatch's house) - then I could walk home!!!!!!!

BTW - for you Golden -> Denver commuters, I have taken 20th av (however you wanna get there) all the way to Sloan's, S.side of Sloan's, then jump on 17th av, and it dumps you right at "invesco" (mile high) - it's kinda fun to ride around the south side of the stadium. I kinda like that route for a change of pace for downtown commuting.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    Don't get into a bidding war with me t

This is not the price is right.

mtbr member
    Another commute tip- The Italian Bakery at 32nd & Wads (North East corner) is a good place to get breakfast on the way into work.