Stupid and Dangerous

Road trips for the snowy winter

Ok Iím a new poster to this board (Iíve been a lurker for quite a while) but this latest snowstorm has me really bummed out. I need to get a fix this weekend and I really think Iím not going to be able to ride. Iím thinking the backbone may be rideable and not much else.

I then decided I was going to drive to Moab this weekend only to hear that itís probably snowed out too.

I know there must be a bunch of you out there in my same predicamentÖ where do you like to go (within a 6 hour car ride) when the Colorado winter makes it impossible to ride the Front Range?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    Ok I’m a new poster to this board (I’ve been a lurker for quite a while) but this latest snowstorm has me really bummed out. I need to get a fix this weekend and I really think I’m not going to be able to ride. I’m thinking the backbone may be rideable and not much else.

I then decided I was going to drive to Moab this weekend only to hear that it’s probably snowed out too.

I know there must be a bunch of you out there in my same predicament¬Ö where do you like to go (within a 6 hour car ride) when the Colorado winter makes it impossible to ride the Front Range?

my buddy "The Real JDub" said the springs only got about an inch....might want to check into that.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    my buddy "The Real JDub" said the springs only got about an inch....might want to check into that.
    Real JDub! Impossible!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Real JDub! Impossible!

Imposter!!!

rr
    I don't do PC
    The trails here will be in great shape by this weekend, were getting out today to checkout palmer or the canyon, I'll post conditions.

Stupid and Dangerous
    CO Springs may be a good alternative if Moab doesnít work out. I figured the springs would be out as I had a few friends down south over the weekend tell me there was a good amount of snow.

rroeder let us know what the conditions are like.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

not to be offensive, but that's what a road bike is for

it will be fine road riding this weekend. I'm planning on it, if I don't ski.

Stupid and Dangerous
    No offense taken but at this point I'd rather sit at home and watch football than ride a road bike. I ride my mountain bike because I like to "mountain bike" not because I love the sensation of my legs going around in circles.

At this point I don't feel the need to battle cars on the shoulder of the road sucking down exhaust and getting pelted by rocks. Many people I know like to ride road but I don't see any allure at all, if I'm going to risk my life on a (paved) mountain road I'll ride the motorcycle and do it at speeds much more entertaining.

Maybe as the winter wears on and I get more and more out of shape I'll change my tune but at this point I'd rather plan some fun road trips and see some new terrain.
    Last edited by mango; 12-01-2004 at 03:10 PM.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Albequerque - however you spell it - has some nice riding
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

rr
    I don't do PC
    The lower trails in the canyon are in good shape with crunchy snow in areas, we rode stratton, chutes and columbine. I imagine the upper trails like buckhorn/capt. jacks and palmer/sec.16 will be good by this weekend. Were going ride palmer today but I'm pretty sure its fine and will be in great shape by this weekend. Come on down and checkout palmer if you like techy riding and the canyon if you want some climbing/descending.

locked - time out
    X Games / Denver skatepark = quality winter riding.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Ha, Ha, Ha...

How do you run a shuttle at the skate park? (jk)

Actually sounds pretty fun if I didn't want to bust my arse in front of a bunch of 13 year olds. They should have an "old man's" day at the skate park so I could risk my insurance deductible in front of people more my age.

But seriously what do you take to a skate park, a full downhill bike, a BMX or your XC steed?

I may need to go down there and see for myself.

locked - time out
    Ha, Ha, Ha...

Actually sounds pretty fun if I didn't want to bust my arse in front of a bunch of 13 year olds. They should have an "old man's" day at the skate park so I could risk my insurance deductible in front of people more my age.

But seriously what do you take to a skate park, a full downhill bike, a BMX or your XC steed?

The last couple of years I have taken my hardtail - but seeing as I just traded it for a roadbike (hey, I've been mtbing for 16 years, am 32 years old, and am comfortable enough in my riding preference to cross - over now and then ) - I will be riding my FR bike (AC1).

I don't know how "old" you are - but I know that I have seen people my age and older there on nights when they allow bikes. Generally the (sizable) mtb crowd that gathers @ either park is in their 20's.

P.S. - Shuttle is a 4 letter word.

More Chasmism
    Moab is not snowed out. Porcupine might find you in some white stuff, but most everything else is clear or nearly clear right now.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly
    Moab is not snowed out. Porcupine might find you in some white stuff, but most everything else is clear or nearly clear right now.
    Hey - hfly. I was talking to your brother in law (?) at the shop a couple of months ago - he said that we (the friend I was riding with and I) should get ahold of you on our next trip out.

I've wondered - when exactly do things start warming up out there - I usually come out in April and October, and had figured it might still be cold before then.

Perpetually single track
    I love Moab...almost always open to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone know the conditions in Fruita? Thanks in advance.

dwj
    mtbr member
    thank you

dwj
    mtbr member
    Ha, Ha, Ha...

i ride a bmx bike at the skatepark and for the record i'm 34. there is usually a pretty good showing by the over 21 crowd at the bike sessions. remember, your never to old to have fun. if you going to head out to the skatepark, i suggest you take a few practice runs at one of the free outdoor skateparks, before you through down the $15 to get into the x-games.

More Chasmism
    Hey - hfly. I was talking to your brother in law (?) at the shop a couple of months ago - he said that we (the friend I was riding with and I) should get ahold of you on our next trip out.

I've wondered - when exactly do things start warming up out there - I usually come out in April and October, and had figured it might still be cold before then.
    That's my brother-in-law at PSB.

Might be fun to ride. You can always PM me through this site. February is hit and miss. March less so. September and November are typically awesome.

I'd drop the online UPS/ LPS talk though if you want to be privy to some of Moab's real secrets.

hfly

locked - time out
    I'd drop the online UPS/ LPS talk though if you want to be privy to some of Moab's real secrets.

hfly

My apologies - it's been fixed.

Josh

Stupid and Dangerous
    Thanks to everyone who posted about the Moab conditions.

The overwhelming respose has been that the conditions in Moab are cold but dry and favorable for ridding. Fruita conditions are still snowy and damp but are "usually" rideable for most of the winter.

We're going to take off for Moab tonight! I picked up some legwarmers and plan on enjoying Moab with out the crowds.

Thanks again

Perpetually single track
    Don't forget to post up on Monday how it was....

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Don't forget to post up on Monday how it was....
    Will do.

Also... hfly I tried to PM you about where and what to ride but your PM box is full. I'd appreciate and input on what to ride this time of year .

Thanks again