Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    No Titus anymore...
    Reputation: titusguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    333

    ROAD QUESTION: Anybody ever do the Mt. Evans race?

    Thinking seroiusly about doing it, along with other road racing this year.
    I'd love to hear stories.....
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

  2. #2
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,165
    See..this is a mtb forum....go over to roadbikereview you roadie...you're not wanted here.

    Oh yeah, shut up shaine!

  3. #3
    Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
    Reputation: Singletrack Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    747

    Did it by accident

    My buddy Jason and I decided to ride up Mt Evans one day and it happened to be the day of the race. We came up from the Evergreen side and didn't know what was going on until we got to the turn up to the summit. We jumped in (its a public road, right?) and played roadie for the rest of the climb. It was actually a lot of fun, especially on the switchbacks with a few folks cheering on.

  4. #4
    No Titus anymore...
    Reputation: titusguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    See..this is a mtb forum....go over to roadbikereview you roadie...you're not wanted here.

    Oh yeah, shut up shaine!

    I've tried so hard to ignore you, I'm changing my quote back. Sorry Scrubby.
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

  5. #5
    No Titus anymore...
    Reputation: titusguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig
    My buddy Jason and I decided to ride up Mt Evans one day and it happened to be the day of the race. We came up from the Evergreen side and didn't know what was going on until we got to the turn up to the summit. We jumped in (its a public road, right?) and played roadie for the rest of the climb. It was actually a lot of fun, especially on the switchbacks with a few folks cheering on.
    Allez! Venga, venga venga!

    Shut up Kirk. I don't remember how to change the text under the Av.
    Ride on, rider. Ride on.

  6. #6
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,165
    Screw you scrubby...

    I'm number one, I'm number one!!!!

    Kiss my ass world!

  7. #7
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,379
    Quote Originally Posted by titusguy
    Thinking seroiusly about doing it, along with other road racing this year.
    I'd love to hear stories.....
    My wife has raced it several times, back in the eighties when she was a catagory 2 racer. I drove a support vehicle to the top. It is a LONG climb, unrelentless. Evry rider I saw above 11.000 feet looked like absolute dogsh!t. All of them complained how it sucked, they felt horrible, etc.
    But they all come back to do it the next year.
    You gotta like pain.
    And climbing.
    ****

  8. #8
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    It is a LONG climb, unrelentless. Evry rider I saw above 11.000 feet looked like absolute dogsh!t. All of them complained how it sucked, they felt horrible, etc.
    But they all come back to do it the next year.
    You gotta like pain.
    And climbing.
    This sounds like good fun - I might have to dust the Bianchi off and suffer with the Crash 4s. When is the race?

  9. #9
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,379
    Just to clarify my description, you're not just riding up the mountain. Most any fit person can do that. You're RACING up the mountain. Responding to attacks, maintaining peleton pace; you are forced to ride up to 14,000 feet at a pace that is not of your choosing. Therein lies the challenge of it. Enjoy!
    ****

  10. #10
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Just to clarify my description, you're not just riding up the mountain. Most any fit person can do that. You're RACING up the mountain. Responding to attacks, maintaining peleton pace; you are forced to ride up to 14,000 feet at a pace that is not of your choosing. Therein lies the challenge of it. Enjoy!
    Exactly - sounds like the next best thing to racing CX

  11. #11
    Technology is my friend.
    Reputation: cartman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    102

    July 23

    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    This sounds like good fun - I might have to dust the Bianchi off and suffer with the Crash 4s. When is the race?
    Race is July 23. Last year the citizens race was like a $100 vs. like $35 for the licensed categories. One day licenses are available for something like $10, so that might be the way to go. This year's entry form is not yet available. When it is, you would be able to find it at http://www.americancycling.org

    Do it, it is big fun and a memorable day. Make sure you send some warm clothes to the top in the race vehicles. You will need them. Standing around in sweaty lycra at 14000 feet gets unpleasant quickly.

Similar Threads

  1. blast from the past, cut/paste from archived MTB DOC posts
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 08:47 AM
  2. A funny race report and season wrap up
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 02:09 PM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-07-2004, 12:53 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 11:11 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-29-2004, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •