mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Road bike content!! Be warned

I feel like a sufferfest this weekend and am considering a Denver to Mt Evans (and back) jaunt. I found one route that used colfax/40 to Evergreen. There is a route on mapmyride, but that requires a fee to print and use. I believe it took me over Lookout mountain. I'm not familiar with the roads around here (at least ones that are roadie friendly), but I'd rather not ride along Colfax due to traffic. Are there any better routes coming from Denver out there?
    Thanks for any help!
    Cheers
    -jon

Thread Terrorist
    Take the bike path north and catch the clear creek one that goes west to golden. That should put you in the middle of golden. up Lookout... onto evans

mtbr member
    Come up 32nd from downtown into Golden. Go thru oldtown to 19th then up the hill towards Lookout. If you're looking for a warm up climb and feel like doing Lookout, go up it and it'll eventually put you on US 40. Hang a right and head west to con't to Idaho Spring.

If you don't, once at the top of 19th (and 93), hang a left (head south) and go down the bike path to Heritage Rd. Follow Heritage Rd up to I70 (it'll merge w/ US 40/Colfax at Heritage Park). It's a small hill climb to I70. At the light just before, hang a right (west) and head up US 40.

I forgot the road name, but at your 2nd bridge over I70, drop down to I70 for 4 miles to Evergreen Pkwy. This should put you at about 25 to 30 miles if leaving from downtown REI. You can put a BIG hurt on yourself if you go over Squaw Pass to hit Mt. Evans.

The other (less verticle) way is to con't past the 2nd bridge on US 40 to the CO 6 and I70 intersection. 40 will follow I70 to this point as a separate road. From this intersection, you'll have to look for a bike path that goes under I70 and take you over to Idaho Spring. I think Mt Evan's access is at the 2nd or third I70 exit to Idaho Spring. You'll have to cross a bridge over I70 to con't to Mt Evans.

Either way, it's a BIG hurt. I'd join you, but I'm not in good enough shape to do a century; my ass would detonate!

Enjoy!

Edit: You should be able to map the entire route on Google Maps.

Edit II: Found this Google map posted on the S. Table Mtn thread. Zoom out and you can see 32nd come in to Golden, and US 40 going up along I70...
    Last edited by Pau11y; 06-08-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Stand back
    Or Cherry Ck bike path to 20th over I-25north to Osage to 35th Avenue - that's more of a straight shot than the bike path, and a little more bike friendly than 32nd. Jog around Sloan Lk to 38th, and once you get to Kipling, hook up with the Clear Ck bike path.
    Hopefully the t-storms hold off til you're done.
    Last edited by dbabuser; 06-08-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    my ass would detonate!

Enjoy!

Ha! That happened to me on Friday.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Ha! That happened to me on Friday.
    Dude, you did great for being on a SX! I've got an older Azonic Recoil (M1 clone) you can ride... It's missing brakes, but I have an older set of (your beloved) Hayes...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

go ride!!
    I wanna do that ride soon as well, but you know it's gonna be on the fixie! soon though!

mtbr member
    Another really nice ride: Idaho Spring to and up Loveland Pass. SUCKING air as I crested Loveland!

Q: anyone know if I can go up Golden Gate Canyon Rd, swing over to I70 and come back to Golden via US 40 and down Lookout? All pavement or partial dirt?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

<100%
    I don't know about Lookout Mountain. It seems you have to give too much of that verticle back before heading up again but I've never done it that way. It may be a bit longer to go this way but it's all up hill without any extra vert thrown in just for fun.....Bear Creek to Morrison, up to Evergreen, then Bergen Park, and Squaw pass.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Another really nice ride: Idaho Spring to and up Loveland Pass. SUCKING air as I crested Loveland!

Q: anyone know if I can go up Golden Gate Canyon Rd, swing over to I70 and come back to Golden via US 40 and down Lookout? All pavement or partial dirt?
    It can be done all pavement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831
    I don't know about Lookout Mountain. It seems you have to give too much of that verticle back before heading up again but I've never done it that way. It may be a bit longer to go this way but it's all up hill without any extra vert thrown in just for fun.....Bear Creek to Morrison, up to Evergreen, then Bergen Park, and Squaw pass.
    Good route. But It was 75 miles startin in and returning to Golden w/ 2/3 of Squaw Pass. Mt Evans throws in another 25 miles, one way. So, you'll be pushing 120 miles w/ 2/3 or 4/5 of the Triple Bypass verticle. Big HURT!
    You can break up the out and back feel by coming back on US 40 from Idaho Spring...

BTW, you won't loose any vert if you go up Lookout, at least not till you get to CO 6 and I70 junction.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Map Golden Gate - I70 Lookout

Different starting point, but same ideas....

http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/d...enBergenPk.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckred

YOU da MAN! I've been looking for a map like this for a LONG time! Definitely putting that on my summer to-do road ride!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckred

Why is mt Elbert and squaw pass left off this map.

WEAK STICK!

danaco
    However you can get to Morrison from where you are starting....go up hywy 74 towards Evergreen, go rt on Kerr Gulch, this will take you to the Evergreen Parkway at the last curve before you hit Bergan park area. Follow the parkway to Squaw Pass on your rt. This is the simplest and safest route IMO. Kerr Gulch is a beauitiful stretch of road, very CA'ish ! This is a great ride, I have done it a few times.

For extra credit...go over the other side of Squaw down to Idaho Springs, take the path to Floyd Hill service road (next to I-70) At the top go past the bridge over I-70 to the next road down the hill (forgot the names !) Go rt back up to Bergan Park and then home ! For this route, bring two power bars instead of just one.

Happy roads !

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Come up 32nd from downtown into Golden. Go thru oldtown to 19th then up the hill towards Lookout. If you're looking for a warm up climb and feel like doing Lookout, go up it and it'll eventually put you on US 40. Hang a right and head west to con't to Idaho Spring.

If you don't, once at the top of 19th (and 93), hang a left (head south) and go down the bike path to Heritage Rd. Follow Heritage Rd up to I70 (it'll merge w/ US 40/Colfax at Heritage Park). It's a small hill climb to I70. At the light just before, hang a right (west) and head up US 40.

I forgot the road name, but at your 2nd bridge over I70, drop down to I70 for 4 miles to Evergreen Pkwy. This should put you at about 25 to 30 miles if leaving from downtown REI. You can put a BIG hurt on yourself if you go over Squaw Pass to hit Mt. Evans.

The other (less verticle) way is to con't past the 2nd bridge on US 40 to the CO 6 and I70 intersection. 40 will follow I70 to this point as a separate road. From this intersection, you'll have to look for a bike path that goes under I70 and take you over to Idaho Spring. I think Mt Evan's access is at the 2nd or third I70 exit to Idaho Spring. You'll have to cross a bridge over I70 to con't to Mt Evans.

Either way, it's a BIG hurt. I'd join you, but I'm not in good enough shape to do a century; my ass would detonate!

Enjoy!

Edit: You should be able to map the entire route on Google Maps.

Edit II: Found this Google map posted on the S. Table Mtn thread. Zoom out and you can see 32nd come in to Golden, and US 40 going up along I70...
    Schweet! Thanks for the detail. It's going to have to be in two weekends (at least). I have a mandatory meeting in Vail this weekend, the next weekend my girlfriend is coming out to visit and then the weekend after that I have a training camp in Leadville (yeah, I bought my way into the 100 this year with CTS).

Let me know if you want to tackle it at some point, bigblue.

Thanks folks!
    -jon

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Why is mt Elbert and squaw pass left off this map.

WEAK STICK!
    I assume you meant Mt. Evans? (Elbert is by Leadville)... the maps are from the Team Evergreen website (teamevergreen.org) - click on the Road Rides link, then look at the schedule, find the ride you're interested in, then click on it. Each one has a map linked to it.

http://www.teamevergreen.org/sites/d...oLkwMtEOpt.pdf

mtbr member
    +1 on what has already been said. Take 26th or 32nd across Denver/Wheat Ridge and then 32nd into Golden (if you take 26th just hang a right on Youngfield and then left on 32nd). You can either go up Lookout or Hwy 40 either are bike friendly. We rode from the north side of Golden up to Squaw on Sunday and my routte is attached. Weather was a bit sketchy to head all the way up to Mt. Evans.

I would reccomend warm gear (i.e. full finger gloves and windbreaker) as it was a COLD ride back down (and we were about 3000 ft shy of the top of Evans...brrrrrrrrr).

Best part about the ride is that it is just about ALL down hill coming back.
    Except you have the ride back to Denver, although its relatively flat its no picnic after riding 90-100 miles (I used to have to do that part too, but now we get to stop in Golden )

Good luck with the training - we'll be there in Leadville on Aug 15th too (we'll be the ones on the green tandem).

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride//co/go...24460264849733