Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Awesomist™
    Reputation: Full Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,462

    Road 34 Superfly Invitational 2006

    Every year the fellas at Road 34 bike shop in Fort Collins have a shin dig they like to call the Superfly Invitational. It's a "group ride" (not a race, they swear) followed by a dirtjump jam and contest followed by a party that really gets the damn thing done. Here's some news straight from Will at Road 34:

    So it's that time of year again and we've set the date for the Invitational. The whole deal will go down Saturday, April 29th. The way we're going to do it this year is a little different.

    We'll meet at the shop at noon and do the Superfly Invitational Group ride followed by the DJ Jam at the crib from 5-8p.m. and the after party at the bar from 10-close. Awards for the group ride will be given out around 10:30 or so at the bar. The really official part of the event this year will be the DJ Jam that we're tryin to get together $500-$1K for prize money depending on who we can get to turn out. One would have to figure that if the price is right pro's will make an effort to make it out. Structure of prize money hasen't been decided yet and it will really depend on the amount we settle on. Anyway it's time to start spreading the word and building the vibe on this thing. We'll have more details here shortly.

    Will
    If you're wanting to know more about the Superfly, contact Road 34 at 970-491-9934 or email them from their website. The orginal forum thread on the Road 34 website is below so you can see for youself what the dealie is!

    http://forum.road34.com/viewtopic.php?t=48


    EDIT: I didn't know this caused a bunch of problems last year, and actually still don't know the what-for. I attended in 2004 and had a nice time, the group ride was small but fun, things didn't get out of hand at all, the dirtjump/BBQ/party was what it was and I had a ton of fun. I'm still leaving this post up regardless - if for nothing else to help spread the word of the jump contest which is certainly legit.
    Last edited by Full Trucker; 04-27-2006 at 12:32 AM.
    The older I get, the faster I was.





    Punch it, Chewie.

  2. #2
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,583
    So.. this year they're poaching Lory, not Horsetooth with this?

    Brilliant...
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  3. #3
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,190
    I don't know of a place in Lory for that kind of a "group ride". Sounds like Lory might be used as a back door to HTMP. Rangers are probably watching the HTMP parking lots for a repeat of last year.

    We already lost one trail at HTMP this year. I hope this isn't going to cause more problems.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikecruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    112
    This is not the reason we lost a trail at Horsetooth, even thou "the event" did upset the ranges last year.
    It almost seems by the parks reasoning, if there were more bikers and less hikers on the trail, the trail would not have been closed to bikers.

    http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs....602180311/1002

  5. #5
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,190
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz
    This is not the reason we lost a trail at Horsetooth, even thou "the event" did upset the ranges last year.
    I agree that this was not the reason. I just hope not to give any further reasons for additional closures. I am anxious to see how Will and the gang do with this year's event.

  6. #6
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    I agree that this was not the reason. I just hope not to give any further reasons for additional closures. I am anxious to see how Will and the gang do with this year's event.
    Is the ride "structure" going to be similar to last year? While it did cause a lot of trouble last year it was quite fun.

    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be going this year, seems like a long ways up with me not having an XC/AM type bike.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    I would be very careful with running the event again. There are enough other riders on this board and around town that would be more than happy to turn you guys in for riding up there. You guys did a good job pissing off a ton of people last year.

    I'm not trying to start anything just letting you know other riders who are not involved in the road 34 stuff are not into what the group does in Lory or Horsetooth.

  8. #8
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn_man2
    I would be very careful with running the event again. There are enough other riders on this board and around town that would be more than happy to turn you guys in for riding up there. You guys did a good job pissing off a ton of people last year.

    I'm not trying to start anything just letting you know other riders who are not involved in the road 34 stuff are not into what the group does in Lory or Horsetooth.
    And this board by all means isn't condoning illegal activities, or anything in state/national parks.

    Mtn_man2, I hope you don't regard them as being bad people for how bad last year's event ran off. From my understanding it was terrible planning and pushing the legality/etiquette of trail systems. Which of course would certainly piss me off as well, and if I'm understanding Full Trucker then it'll be completely different this year. Of course I have little knowledge of their actions elsewhere or on other occasions, last year's Superfly is my only experience with them.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  9. #9
    Awesomist™
    Reputation: Full Trucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,462
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    ...and if I'm understanding Full Trucker...
    I want it made clear that I am merely reporting on events and spreading the word of the Superfly. I don't make any claims to "know what's going on" or anything of that nature, I'm simply re-posting information that I gleaned from other forums/boards regarding this event. For anyone wanting specific details of the event(s) in question, one would either need to attend or get in touch with the fellas at Road 34.

    I will not be in attendance at tomorrow's shin-dig. Not because I don't condone the activities that are occuring (being that I don't really know any more than what I copy and pasted from the Road 34 site) but more because I'll be riding XC with my good friend Ross somewhere's near Chatfield/Roxbourough/Ken Caryl tomorrow and then working on the new and improved Snowmass National and RacsMSC websites.

    And then I have a date.












    With a girl.
    The older I get, the faster I was.





    Punch it, Chewie.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    Mtn_man2, I hope you don't regard them as being bad people for how bad last year's event ran off.


    I don't regard the guys as bad people. They are super chill guys who I have ridden with and I don't bash them at all. I don't have a huge issue with last year's event but many, many other riders in the area did. I was just saying "you guys" (being used losely) should be careful this year about how things are done. It would be in everybody's interest that attends to be curtious, maybe even overly curtious to other trail users that they see.

    I hope all that do attend have a good time. It's been a number of years since I attended and when I did it was a ball. Back then there were only about 15 people.

  11. #11
    killin it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    22

    relax its mountainbiking

    what did those guys they call "Dad", Breeze, & Bontrager use to do for fun? oh yeah, they went out with friends, had a few beers and had a good time while creating mountain biking. thats what its about, getting back to the "roots" and having fun. everybody will be on their best behavior, none of us go out to ride and be jackasses towards
    other trail-users.

    the superfly invitational & regular Friday superfly ride have been going on in FC since the spring of 2001. Its gone from 5 people to the occasional 40, if anything, its gotten a lot of people into biking in Nor CO and shown there is a need for mtn bike trails in FC. Its a philosophy that many riders can't grasp "Just Fu@#in Ride" (JFR)

    I encourage people to come out & experience a Superfly, before they go on the internet to trash talk.

    everybody have a killer weekend and rock out!

  12. #12
    killin it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    22

    from the horses mouth

    SUPERFLY INVITE 2006!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, April 28, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Hello internet pawns. So tomorrow is the big day. So I figure I should set a few things straight. Meet at the shop 11:30 to 12. We will leave the shop by 12:30 at the latest. If your not here, sorry. We will be riding in Lory State Park. We are not poaching Horsetooth by any means. If you think we are, please come on the ride. If your one of the many concerned citizens who assume we are holding a cash purse race full of Pro DHers please come to the shop at noon. You will be sadly dissapointed, but I promise you will have a good time. Its a group ride, there I said it again. After the ride we will assemble at the house for The Dirt Jump Jam. If you remember last years the riding will be impressive to say the least. I know the 970 guys and the BMX contingent have been shaping and grooming the jumps all week. If we're lucky maybe even the ever elusive Nate Adams will land on his head..........or two wheels, who knows. Trust me, its gonna be a good time. So the Dirt Jumping will end around 7:30 and the yard will be empty by 8. Then at 9 its the grand opening party at Road 34 Tavern. Good Times will be had. For those who are under 21, I'll post some pics. And you can dream of the day that you too, will be able to drink in a bar. Otherwise you too can throw a party after all is said and done.

    See you tomorrow, I'll be smiling ear to ear.

    It's our festivus
    -willy

  13. #13
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by shredettles
    SUPERFLY INVITE 2006!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, April 28, 2006, 09:38 PM
    Hello internet pawns. So tomorrow is the big day. So I figure I should set a few things straight. Meet at the shop 11:30 to 12. We will leave the shop by 12:30 at the latest. If your not here, sorry. We will be riding in Lory State Park. We are not poaching Horsetooth by any means. If you think we are, please come on the ride. If your one of the many concerned citizens who assume we are holding a cash purse race full of Pro DHers please come to the shop at noon. You will be sadly dissapointed, but I promise you will have a good time. Its a group ride, there I said it again. After the ride we will assemble at the house for The Dirt Jump Jam. If you remember last years the riding will be impressive to say the least. I know the 970 guys and the BMX contingent have been shaping and grooming the jumps all week. If we're lucky maybe even the ever elusive Nate Adams will land on his head..........or two wheels, who knows. Trust me, its gonna be a good time. So the Dirt Jumping will end around 7:30 and the yard will be empty by 8. Then at 9 its the grand opening party at Road 34 Tavern. Good Times will be had. For those who are under 21, I'll post some pics. And you can dream of the day that you too, will be able to drink in a bar. Otherwise you too can throw a party after all is said and done.

    See you tomorrow, I'll be smiling ear to ear.

    It's our festivus
    -willy
    Will, last year was a blast. Sorry I won't be making it this year.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •