Cycling, FTW!!

RMH'07- Day 2, CDT to Mtn.View to Steamboat

Much bigger group today, around 20 people. It was a little warmer (80 degrees at 10K) but still a very pleasant day to ride. I got lost on the east side of the divide trying to find a new route from town to Rabbit Ears Pass to meet the group. I spent most of an hour bushwhacking through a thick spruce forest before I finally hit CDT trailhead on Rabbit Ears Pass. By now it was 11am, but I managed to catch up to the group a little way down the trail.

Here are my pictures, hopefully somebody will post some better ones then me.

DSC01968 (Large).jpg

DSC01970 (Large).jpg

DSC01973 (Large).jpg

DSC01978 (Large).jpg

DSC01985 (Large).jpg
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Cycling, FTW!!
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Proof... Good times are being had. Envious? Jealous?... Yes
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Cycling, FTW!!

Pictures from my pre-group ride adventure

After closer inspection of the pictures I shot on my way to the RMH group ride, I have come to the conclusion that they are post-worthy. So maybe these pics will make up for all the crappy ones I have posted.

I live in Steamboat so I haven't been camping at the gathering. I have had my eye on the Pleasant Rabbit trail all summer and I thought it would be a perfect chance to ride it over to Rabbit Ears pass.
    To get to the Pleasant Rabbit trail I climbed to the summit of the ski area and then across Mtn. View trail until I hit the divide. From there I dropped off the east side of the divide on the Percy Lake trail.

It started off very nice, considering this trail is open to motorized traffic.
    DSC01908 (Large).jpg

I got my first view of the back side of the Rabbit Ears.
    DSC01920 (Large).jpg

Like most other motorized trails around Steamboat, this one got nasty. I'm glad I wasn't going up it.
    DSC01926 (Large).jpg

It's funny how quickly you forget about the nasty parts of the trail.
    DSC01929 (Large).jpg

DSC01933 (Large).jpg

Cycling, FTW!!

more pre-group ride shots...

Taken on my way to the Pleasant Rabbit trailhead, but I guess I never found the trail.
    DSC01939 (Large).jpg

DSC01942 (Large).jpg

DSC01946 (Large).jpg

DSC01950 (Large).jpg

DSC01952 (Large).jpg

Cycling, FTW!!

the last set

I must have missed the turn I was supposed to take, and the road I was on eventually ended.

DSC01954 (Large).jpg

DSC01957 (Large).jpg

DSC01959 (Large).jpg

This was the end of the road. Instead of backtracking, I decided to push on through the woods to reach the road that I knew existed just on the other side of the ridge line in the picture.
    DSC01960 (Large).jpg

Not too much fun while carrying my bike over down trees and wearing shorts, But I made it out alive.

Thread Terrorist
    Nice! I wish I could've been there. Its good to see Terry back on the saddle again!

Rolling
    Good looking shots...good looking trail.

Wish I could have been there and I would have if I didn't have lidar test flights at work starting Friday. Can't wait to see more trail pix.
    Last edited by lidarman; 08-12-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Rolling
    BTW, I really like this view.

mtbr member
    marko, it was a pleasure to meet you... you were a gracious trail host to say the least.

...and props to that mystical trail-side "beer fairy".

-
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Its good to see Terry back on the saddle again!
    thanks taylor... t'was good to be back on the bike after 4 weeks off. i didn't do too badly considering (but d*mn there are some super strong/fast riders in that group-- like most of them!). my hand was bothering me quite a bit so i came home today; two days on the trail was worth it though.

i'll try to post a few pix later, though i don't think i took too many this trip. you'll have to plan to attend next year... always a good time to be had and the riding never disappoints.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat
    But I made it out alive.
    Marko, good to see you again and thanks for being a friendly local guide to all the clumsy, tromping tourists. I like your palatial estate overlooking Steamboat

This is a Day 1 pic. I have a few more to post from both days...

Ed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    marko, it was a pleasure to meet you... you were a gracious trail host to say the least.

...and props to that mystical trail-side "beer fairy".

DITTO!

Wish I hadn't missed thursday's ride!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    DITTO!

Wish I hadn't missed thursday's ride!
    I'm sure your ribs are thanking you for that on Dave. I wish I hadn't missed Sunday's ride, so I guess were even. Thanks again for bringing the whiskey, I have yet to sample some at an elevation lower then 10,500.

If you think the trails were sweet now, come back in the fall when the trails are tacky and the aspens are changing colors.

I was my pleasure to ride with such a strong, talented group of riders in my neck of the woods. I cant wait to let everybody show me around some of there favorite trails on the front range.

Your retarded
    Marko, you were a guide, dude. It was cool having you out there and watching you stomp all of us low landers on the climbs. Plus, the gift of stashed beer at the resting spot was a very sweet touch. We'll be returning the favor when you make it to the lower elevations.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

jeny jo

day 2 speed fest

what a great day to play chase!

Ed and Clay, it was fabulous chasing you guys up the hill, then all the way back down.... Clay, it was great meeting you, and I hope you and yours get back to CO (to play) soon.

Ed, get those pix up somewhere, they're just awesome.

Fire Time on Saturday night was just too much fun, guys....

Can't wait until next time!

Jj