RMH Gathering 2006 - Pics & Stories

The weekend started with Friday's explore ride with less than ideal weather, continue on Saturday under more questionable weather conditions and wrap up with Sunday's gorgeous day. So many good pictures were taken by several people I've compiled the links here to make it easy:

Anthony's!

Day 1 - RMH gathring 06 passion

Day 2 - RMH Gathering 06 Passion, Day 2

And Geeks!!

Days 1, 2 and 3 - Do you wonder when all this RMH gathering blathering will end?

And Mateo's!!!

Days 1 and 2 - No, RMH won't end..

And Scrub's!!!!

Days 1, 2 and 3 - RMH 06 Gathering - more passion.

AND MK_'s!!!!!

Days 1 and 2 - more RMH06 passion!

AND Debaser!!!!!!

Days 2 and 3 - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2267402

AND gotdirt's!!!!!!!

Days 1 and 3 - yet more RMH passion... (dial-up beware)
    ================================================== ==============================================
    A series of questions to start things off, the pics are from Saturday and Sunday;

1) Would our wonderful guests from NM ride the Crest when the CO mountains looked like this?

2) Is that a pink shower cap?

3) Why are we huddled around a fire?

4) Did Dave (STS) actually ride this bike?

5) Why did Scrub have to entertain us with bike tricks?

Fantastic weekend. Thanks Kirk for getting it started and great to meet you all. See you on the trails.

Ed E
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-23-2006 at 09:36 AM.

Day 2 (Saturday) when we headed out for a cold ride that turned into one of the best downhill runs I've ever had.

1) Paul looking forward to his first Crest ride

2) It was a grunt of a warmup

3) The effort required was quite evident

4) It was frosty

5) Is that a wheelie?
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-18-2006 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! hey...

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    5) Is that a wheelie?
    are you dissing my (weak) show-off-for-the-camera skillz? c'mon man, there's a lot of pressure-- what with the likes of scrubmaster and his bike tricks and SS freaks like yourself rockin' one tall gear on a monster ride/climb like this!

thanks for sharing the pix.
    Last edited by gotdirt; 09-17-2006 at 11:33 PM. Reason: bored
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Not dissin' you at all, I was just surprised my camera captured the moment. I think I missed another one you did higher up.

Ed E

More shots...

Day 2 again.

I was way wiped out when I got home last night so I only managed to post a few shots. More to come as time permits. It is so hard to capture how fun this ride was.

1) Most of you have marveled at his awesome picture posts - Anthony.

2) Hand warming!

3) Blurred loveliness through the trees

4) Decisions, decisions

5) Keep going downhill.

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-18-2006 at 07:54 AM.

And more..

Day 2, last series. They all pretty much speak for themselves.

Juan de Fluco...

picked his line....hmmmm.

** edit ** sorry I misspelled your name Juan, I used to have a friend named Kirk.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-20-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Good stuff! Glad to finally meet and ride with you!

Linky to the few pics I took that were even remotely worthwhile.

RMH 06 Gathering - more passion.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Really I am that slow

Good job! 4 crazy Days

Day 1-

I got wends though Sunday off from work. Got a very late start on wends due to waiting for paycheck to show up and getting packed ect...Forgot my camera and some pants. Left Denver about 3:30pm and started riding towards Golden. Rode up Lookout mt. road and up floyd hill and followed the frontage road to Groagetown. I then climbed Guanella Pass rd over to Hwy 285. I got some snow up there

Rode up 285 to Konosha pass campground got there about 12 am and camped/slept for 5 hours. Made some ramen. Got myself sort of warm. it was 28 degrees when I set up camp. Woke up around 5 am and made some coffee and muched on some bagels and peanut butter. Was kinna cold and it was still dark but rode into south park on hwy 285 to Como and then I turned onto county rd 15 witch is part of the GDR route and rode that to hwy 24. Got into Harzel about 10 am and grabed some more coffee and took an hour long sit and look at the maps and just sit in the sun for a bit. Kept going on hwy 24 back to hwy 285 rode that to Buna vista. Had two flats from some goat heads I must have picked up in Denver. Rode to cr 309 to bypass some more of hwy 285 really fun dirt road desent

Picked back up on Hwy 285 and rode to Johnson Village refilled the water bottles stopped and rested the legs a bit after pedaling though rain and and some 50 miles per gusts of wind !!!! kept going on south on hwy 285 to the Ruby mt. Campground where everyone was meeting. Rolled into camp about 3:45 or so... About 170 miles in 24 hours and lotsa Climbing!

SrcubLover was the first other Dave to show up had a beer with him and watched him set his camp up. He shared one of his last beers with me and it tasted so good. About 10 people showed up by 8 pm Had some good campfire time and chated a bit about the next days ride... Whiskey, Beer and agave juice flowed freely

Day-2 Friday

DaveM and his wife and daugher shared there pancakes and coffee with me... I bugged out around 8:45 to ride down to Salida to cash my paycheck and get a few tubes and some food for the days ride.... Dropped off a bottle of whiskey to Tom at Absolute Bikes for all his work with the GDR updates.

Rode hwy 50 towards Monark pass and Jason picked me up and we figgured out all the ride logistics for the day and met up with aboiut 12 people at the top. it was kinna wet and we rode noth on the CDT and rode about 7-8 miles along the ridge line well pushing would be a bit more acute discrpition... Then we point downhill and I walked alot cuse this was the crazyest downhill stuff i've ever riddin even the downhill monkeys of the group were having fun. 15 miles in like 7 hours on friday.... I went by the Safeway in Saldia to pick up stuff for dinner. Most everyone else showed up friday night and we tookover the ruby campground. More Beer, whiskey, and agave juice

Day-3 Sat

We split up in a few groups on. The group I rode with did the Monark pass, sliver creek, CT, rainbow trail route 35 miles? Very Burr cold for the first 1/2 of the ride. The aspens were changing like crazy so hard to discirbe.... The New Maxicans didn't even get out of the car on monark pass they bailed and rode a diffrent trail.

I broke a power link on Rainbow trail and it wrapped itself on the cog and around my axle. got er fixed and rode out to hwy 285. The gand from Lyons is super fast and it was fun to ride with Mateo one of the other single speeders....

Ate some fatjias with Mateo and then I was done and cold again so I hit the hay eraly. selpt till about 4:20 am on suday and super cold I think it got down to 22....

Day- 4 Sun

Had some bfast with Mateo and looked at my bike closer and found out my axle on my Phillwood had broken. So my fixie was out for the day. Thank God Scrub bought 2 of his bikes so I used his hardtail (THANKS SO MUCH SCRUBLOVER)

We rode Monark to Agate creek and it was so odd being on a bike with gears, 26" wheels 150 mm of travel up front. Crossed agated creek so many times and my feet froze. We rode 13-15 miles on Sunday and the New Mexicans even showed up for this ride

Scrub gave me a ride back to denver and I got home super tired, super dirty, and super gald I had made this trip! Thanks to all who came and for everyone just hanging out and enjoying themselfs.... This trip was one of the best i've ever been on! Wish I had pics to share!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Great Pic's guys i cant wait to come out to Co to ride..how far is that from broomfield?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Awesome pictures! I hung out at that shelter last month, myself, during a fairly significant 1 1/2 hour thunder storm. I didn't try to start a fire, though.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    Day 1-

I got wends though Sunday off from work. Got a very late start on wends due to waiting for paycheck to show up and getting packed ect...Forgot my camera and some pants. Left Denver about 3:30pm and started riding towards Golden. Rode up Lookout mt. road and up floyd hill and followed the frontage road to Groagetown. I then climbed Guanella Pass rd over to Hwy 285. I got some snow up there

Rode up 285 to Konosha pass campground got there about 12 am and camped/slept for 5 hours. Made some ramen. Got myself sort of warm. it was 28 degrees when I set up camp. Woke up around 5 am and made some coffee and muched on some bagels and peanut butter. Was kinna cold and it was still dark but rode into south park on hwy 285 to Como and then I turned onto county rd 15 witch is part of the GDR route and rode that to hwy 24. Got into Harzel about 10 am and grabed some more coffee and took an hour long sit and look at the maps and just sit in the sun for a bit. Kept going on hwy 24 back to hwy 285 rode that to Buna vista. Had two flats from some goat heads I must have picked up in Denver. Rode to cr 309 to bypass some more of hwy 285 really fun dirt road desent

Picked back up on Hwy 285 and rode to Johnson Village refilled the water bottles stopped and rested the legs a bit after pedaling though rain and and some 50 miles per gusts of wind !!!! kept going on south on hwy 285 to the Ruby mt. Campground where everyone was meeting. Rolled into camp about 3:45 or so... About 170 miles in 24 hours and lotsa Climbing!

SrcubLover was the first other Dave to show up had a beer with him and watched him set his camp up. He shared one of his last beers with me and it tasted so good. About 10 people showed up by 8 pm Had some good campfire time and chated a bit about the next days ride... Whiskey, Beer and agave juice flowed freely

Day-2 Friday

DaveM and his wife and daugher shared there pancakes and coffee with me... I bugged out around 8:45 to ride down to Salida to cash my paycheck and get a few tubes and some food for the days ride.... Dropped off a bottle of whiskey to Tom at Absolute Bikes for all his work with the GDR updates.

Rode hwy 50 towards Monark pass and Jason picked me up and we figgured out all the ride logistics for the day and met up with aboiut 12 people at the top. it was kinna wet and we rode noth on the CDT and rode about 7-8 miles along the ridge line well pushing would be a bit more acute discrpition... Then we point downhill and I walked alot cuse this was the crazyest downhill stuff i've ever riddin even the downhill monkeys of the group were having fun. 15 miles in like 7 hours on friday.... I went by the Safeway in Saldia to pick up stuff for dinner. Most everyone else showed up friday night and we tookover the ruby campground. More Beer, whiskey, and agave juice

Day-3 Sat

We split up in a few groups on. The group I rode with did the Monark pass, sliver creek, CT, rainbow trail route 35 miles? Very Burr cold for the first 1/2 of the ride. The aspens were changing like crazy so hard to discirbe.... The New Maxicans didn't even get out of the car on monark pass they bailed and rode a diffrent trail.

I broke a power link on Rainbow trail and it wrapped itself on the cog and around my axle. got er fixed and rode out to hwy 285. The gand from Lyons is super fast and it was fun to ride with Mateo one of the other single speeders....

Ate some fatjias with Mateo and then I was done and cold again so I hit the hay eraly. selpt till about 4:20 am on suday and super cold I think it got down to 22....

Day- 4 Sun

Had some bfast with Mateo and looked at my bike closer and found out my axle on my Phillwood had broken. So my fixie was out for the day. Thank God Scrub bought 2 of his bikes so I used his hardtail (THANKS SO MUCH SCRUBLOVER)

We rode Monark to Agate creek and it was so odd being on a bike with gears, 26" wheels 150 mm of travel up front. Crossed agated creek so many times and my feet froze. We rode 13-15 miles on Sunday and the New Mexicans even showed up for this ride

Scrub gave me a ride back to denver and I got home super tired, super dirty, and super gald I had made this trip! Thanks to all who came and for everyone just hanging out and enjoying themselfs.... This trip was one of the best i've ever been on! Wish I had pics to share!
    I don't understand the fixie thing, but I don't understand the whole one gear all the time crowd anyway, so I can let that pass. And the riding to the event, well, that's pretty tough. And the riding of those trails on a cross bike, well, you runwatchabrung, right?

But sneaking in Guenella Pass on the way out? Seriously?

Dude, you're nuts.

It was my pleasure to meet and ride with you!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Really I am that slow

Very

Nice to meet yah Dbaser!

Yeah fixie.... well like the who song "I can't Explain" I can't explain it

Anyho such a good time and I got my backup wheel togather today so Ownly had to walk about 20 miles before i got riding again...

Gearing a bit tall at the moment though 42x16.
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

MK_
    carpe maņana

another lens

More photos:
    more RMH06 passion!

Great trip! Thanks, everyone!

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I am so sorry I missed it.

SNS - You're of stud of major caliber!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    Day 1-

Day-2 Friday

Day-3 Sat

Day- 4 Sun

That is the crazyest $hit I have ever heard, damn dude you rock!

The last set of pics...

So Day 3 (Sunday) dawned and we proceeded on the Agate Creek ride:

1) But first the sun set on Saturday

2) Then Scrub cooked breakfast

3) Campsite #7, Ed and Paul in separate rooms

4) Mateo, the other ss'er ripping a turn

5) Mateo, poseur
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-19-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Adios amigos...

until the next ride and the next Gathering. I took much fewer pics on Sunday trying to keep up with the Geek.

1) Smiles were the order of the day

2) Creekside on Agate

3) Hangin' and chillin'

Ed E

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    3) Campsite #7, Ed and Paul in separate rooms

Check out your shadow in that 3rd shot. It looks like you got a visit from Fred Gwynne of "The Munsters"!

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I love the photo of the Saturday's sunset. Gorgeous. Seems like everyone is a keen photographer that went on the trip.

I've got one more treat for everyone. I took a short clip during the ride on top of the Continental Divide at around 12,000 feet. Haulin' wind and horizontal snow. It's together with the thread with the photos I took.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...26#post2266826

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Hey - it was a blast to get a chance to ride with all of you and nice to meet those of you I haven't before! Here are a couple of my pics from the weekend. They are only of Friday. Saturday I was too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    And so we arrive at the descent. Words and pictures cannot describe how intensely fun it was. Visciously rechnical. No one cleaned it all. No one even came close. And we had a very strong crew.
    1. Speaking about no one cleaning sections - this was one of them. Here are MK_, icegeek, JasonB, and AnthonyS not cleaning it.

2. Obligatory group shot

3. Can you tell what is going on here?

contains quinine
    Some more over in Passion, but only of us B ride folks.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2267402

Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    1. Speaking about no one cleaning sections - this was one of them. Here are MK_, icegeek, JasonB, and AnthonyS not cleaning it.

2. Obligatory group shot

3. Can you tell what is going on here?
    Wish I could have tried those technosections on Friday.

Well hello there Occifer! Looks like you're exchanging the usual pleasantries that go between the law and suspicious looking characters on bikes. No one got arrested I presume. Where is that?

WAIT, let me guess. That's not really a camera Anthony is holding?

I love the photo of the Saturday's sunset. Gorgeous. Seems like everyone is a keen photographer that went on the trip.
    Hey MK_ I was thinking the same thing about all the pics. They are all awesome and everyone has such a different perspective. But Anthony is still the King!

Check out your shadow in that 3rd shot. It looks like you got a visit from Fred Gwynne of "The Munsters"!
    Ha-ha. Yeah, it looks kinda creepy in a way.

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 09-20-2006 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

B team?

While those guys were finished riding and hanging with the tatoo chicks at the hot springs, we were still on the rainbow trail! We took some breaks, but it's not like Libertine, Chris and Dave do much of a soft pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Some more over in Passion, but only of us B ride folks.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2267402

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    ...but it's not like Libertine, Chris and Dave do much of a soft pedal.
    No kidding. My legs were broken little pieces Sunday.

Lust for Life
    Quote Originally Posted by mateomtb
    While those guys were finished riding and hanging with the tatoo chicks at the hot springs, we were still on the rainbow trail! We took some breaks, but it's not like Libertine, Chris and Dave do much of a soft pedal.
    Hey mateo, I will have to stop by pinball to try to catch up. Good riding & meeting you all, thanks for the weekend!

mtbr member
    Heya Fellas!

Just got into [my new] town. Pics look great! Doesn't do the rides/trails or the views justice (do they ever?).

I'm still in awe at Slower Than Snot....cheeze and rice....someone get him the VIP trophey!

It was great meeting all you, and now can put a face to the screen names. We'll have to do it all again next year!

>Ryan
    (the other downhiller on the other white bike...the cooler one )
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Members who have read this thread: 0