mtbr member
    May 2011

RIP 9 Build out for Front Range Proposal - Feedback please

I posted recently here about moving from Michigan to Denver. I am strongly considering building up a RIP 9 here for out there. Here is what the shop here proposes and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. (keep in mind I am not tech savvy on these issues---just not handy at all and all I do is ride and let the shops take care of the rest) thanks in advance for the feedback.

Frame 2011 Niner RIP9
    Fork RockShox Reba RLT Ti
    F Wheel Stans ZTR/Arch
    R Wheel Stans ZTR/Arch
    F Brake Avid Elixir R
    R Brake Avid Elixir R
    F Shifter SRAM X7
    R Shifter SRAM X7
    F Der SRAM X7
    R Der SRAM X9
    Cassette SRAM 1050
    Crank SRAM X9
    Chain SRAM 1050
    F Tire Maxxis Crossmark
    R Tire Maxxis Crossmark
    F Tube Presta
    R Tube Presta
    Headset Cane Creek Tapered
    Seatpost TruVativ Stylo Team
    Seatpost Clamp Included
    Handlebar TruVativ Stylo Team
    Grips SRAM Lock-on
    Stem TruVativ Stylo Team
    Saddle WTB Rocket V

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd do Flow rims instead of the Arch. Oh, and get a protection plate for the bottom...rocky out here.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Probably not a big deal, but since you asked... I'd spring the few extra $ for the X9 shifters after having pulled apart both X7 and X9 shifters last weekend - the X7s are cheesy, flimsy and prone to fly apart, by comparison.
    Now with more vitriol!

ride
    I'd stay away from the Stan's complete wheels. The Arch's are good rims if you're a relatively smooth rider. I had 'em for a while with no problems. I have found the rear hubs to be problematic, though. Stan's has taken care of the warranty issues, but I'd rather just not deal with it. There's better hubs out there.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Rigid in Evergreen
    I think the big question here is going to be tire selection.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Probably not a big deal, but since you asked... I'd spring the few extra $ for the X9 shifters
    Yep, I agree. X9 shifters are worth a little extra. Looks like a fun ride, have fun!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Let's see....

Fox F29 Fork, RS can't seem to make a damper worth crap.

I wouldn't spend the cash on that wheelset... better options out there as ignazjr mentioned.

I'd spend a little more on something other than stylo bars/stem.I'd probably get the Easton Haven stuff if I had the cash... I'd scour ebay and CL before buying stylo junk.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    I think the big question here is going to be tire selection.

He's already chosen the Crossmarks! Probably read through the Front Range tire threads.

Team Velveeta™

X9, No Stans, No Crossmark, Reba yes

Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    Yep, I agree. X9 shifters are worth a little extra. Looks like a fun ride, have fun!
    The X9 shifters are definitely worth a little $$ over the 7s.

I have had a pair of Stans Arch. Cracked at the spoke holes and Stan's idea of warranty was to sell me a whole new wheelset. I like a rim with eyelets. Little bit of weight but a bunch more durability. I wouldn't buy an apple from Stan.

Does anybody actually like Crossmarks other than racers? I tried one once and it was the most godawful tire I ever ran. For the same money from the same company go with Igniters. (by the way, I have a Crossmark rolled up in my garage with about 20 miles on it. I'll trade it for most any other tire.)

I have had four different Rebas and a couple Fox F29s in the last 5-6 years. Fox forx are really nice. The damping is very sophisticated. I put a stupid number of miles on a Reba that I bought when they first became available, it was totally reliable.

If I could choose between a Reba and an F29 I'd take an F29, but my Rebas have been solid as Sears. The bike I just built got the exact Reba you have spec'd. Cost me less than an F29. I think it's a great fork. My last bike had one too. IMHO either fork is excellent, depends how much extra you're willing to spend for the big white one.

Edit: Looks like QBP is blowing out the prior model Rebas. I think the new U-Turn ones are hitting the street, so the one they're spec'ing on your bike is cheap. FYI.

Rest of the build looks good to me.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP

I have had a pair of Stans Arch. Cracked at the spoke holes and Stan's idea of warranty was to sell me a whole new wheelset. I like a rim with eyelets. Little bit of weight but a bunch more durability. I wouldn't buy an apple from Stan.
    I'm a Stans Flow Fan. A well built Flow holds true well. I've heard others comment about the Stan's being non eyeleted but I've had huge success with em.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I just had the F29er fork swapped for the Reba RLT ti 29er fork on my Anthem X29er. I can say that the small bump sensitivity is better, the fork dive is less and the 20 mm through axle is definitely stiffer than the 15mm on the Fox. Basically it's smoother and feels more controlled in it's travel and steers better.

One thing that helps is that the negative air spring RS uses is much better for my 200lbs than the negative coil spring that Fox uses. The Fox negative coil spring is set of riders in 160lb range.

The Fox was very nice fork, but I have to say the RS is better all around. The end result is if anyone is looking for a 3 month old tapered F29er let me know

RS has come a long way since the early 2000's. Our main suspension guy Rob (3 years working for Push, 10 years of suspension work overall) says the quality of RS is now at or above Fox for the top end stuff.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Team Velveeta™

RockShox

Quote Originally Posted by Kaj
    ...RS has come a long way since the early 2000's. Our main suspension guy Rob (3 years working for Push, 10 years of suspension work overall) says the quality of RS is now at or above Fox for the top end stuff.
    After I owned a Judy XC back in the mid-90s, RockShox made my "Never Again" list. I would not have taken one of their products for free. Answer/Manitou was also on that list. Marzocchi was my fork of choice for years.

Then a Fox Float RLC was dropped in my lap as barter for doing web work for a bike shop. That was pre-29er, unless you were willing to run cyclocross tires.

Then SRAM acquired RockShox in late 2005 I think. I was working for a shop at that time, and a rep offered me a Reba 29 for ridiculously cheap. I was totally skeptical, but he assured me that RockShox had changed. So I threw it on my new 29er hardtail. That fork got thrown onto three or four different bikes, got converted from 80mm to 100mm, and I followed the silly thing through several years of hard riding. I finally gave it away about year and a half ago.

SRAM made RockShox a real option. The stuff was total garbage, and that brand had been abandoned by anybody who knows equipment. But SRAM acquired the company, and obviously put some money behind them for R&D and QC.

Now, I agree, they are right there with Fox. In some ways better than Fox.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yes... the Judy was an abysmal shock. Marz was king back in 1996-ish. Forks have come a LONG way, haven't they?

Team Velveeta™

Phorx

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Yes... the Judy was an abysmal shock. Marz was king back in 1996-ish. Forks have come a LONG way, haven't they?
    Damn straight.

My first suspension fork was a Manitou 2. Different colors of plastic/rubber bumpers, like the ones in a thudbuster. No damping that I'm aware of. I didn't know what damping was back in 1993. I'm pretty sure it had less than 1" of travel. Then Judy. Flimsy POS, oil dampers blew after three rides.

Then I got a Bomber Z2. That was an actual fork. Low-maintenance Oil/Coil, stiff, and I think a whopping 63mm of travel! Then a Z2 BAM. Then the Float RLC.

Then when it was time for a 29er it was the Marzocchi Marathon air fork that was available when the only other choice was White Brothers. I had one of those too. Very disappointing, both of them. The Marathon was bouncy and the White suffered from chronic stiction.

The early Reba was good. The early F29 was better. I had two different 1st gen rebas, and two different F29 100mm.

On my last F29 I had a sticker that I found somewhere:

Fox F29.
    A big white fork from the people who first brought you gray forks.

Now I'm on my 2nd Reba 120 Maxle. Yes, things have come a lo-o-o-ong way.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP

Then I got a Bomber Z2. That was an actual fork. Low-maintenance Oil/Coil, stiff, and I think a whopping 63mm of travel!
    Yup - had one on my Y-22 for 6 years. No maintenance. It actually wasn't all that great at the end of its life, but that's probably because of no maintenance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here is my revised build in the 3800 range.

Frame 2011 Niner RIP9
    Fork RockShox Reba RLT Ti 20mm
    F Wheel Stans ZTR/Flow 20mm
    R Wheel Stans ZTR/Flow 20mm
    F Brake Avid Elixir CR
    R Brake Avid Elixir CR
    F Shifter SRAM X9
    R Shifter SRAM X9
    F Der SRAM X9
    R Der SRAM X9
    Cassette SRAM 1050
    Crank SRAM X9
    Chain SRAM 1050
    F Tire Maxxis Ardent
    R Tire Maxxis Ardent
    F Tube Presta
    R Tube Presta
    Headset Cane Creek 40
    Seatpost TruVativ Stylo Team
    Seatpost Clamp Included
    Handlebar TruVativ Stylo Team
    Grips SRAM Lock-on
    Stem TruVativ Stylo Race
    Saddle WTB Rocket V

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj
    RS has come a long way since the early 2000's. Our main suspension guy Rob (3 years working for Push, 10 years of suspension work overall) says the quality of RS is now at or above Fox for the top end stuff.

If that's true then RS has come a long way since last year. I have owned an '08 Lyric with a 2 different dampers, a friend just upgraded his Lyric to the newest Lyric dh damper and the Fox 36 RC2 damping is still in a whole different league. Also, 2 of my friends who own Lyrics have issues with stiction and binding if the forks aren't lubed every month.

Since you have personally tested the forks I believe you like the RS better but I have a really hard time believing RS figured out how to make a decent damper since last year...

Team Velveeta™

Looks pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by shodan22
    Here is my revised build in the 3800 range.

Frame 2011 Niner RIP9
    Fork RockShox Reba RLT Ti 20mm
    F Wheel Stans ZTR/Flow 20mm
    R Wheel Stans ZTR/Flow 20mm ...
    Looks pretty good. Should be a sweet rig. I still wouldn't go with those Stans wheels, but you only weigh .0794 metric tons (aka 175 lbs) so you should be OK.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    do i need to worry about the width of the handle bars?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    can you guys give me some feedback on the 3 ring versus 2 ring front for Front Range riding, etc. ? I rode a 2 ring when I demoed an epic but didn't get a good enough feel for whether i should move away from my three ring hoo koo e koo.....thanks in advance for all the feedback

ride
    Get wide bars. You can always cut them down as you find appropriate. 2 ring vs 3 ring - check Sheldon Browns gear inch calculator - http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

That should answer any gearing questions you have. You can plug and chug cassettes and front rings in that and it will calculate your gear inches. With a 2x10 setup you get very, very close to having the same ratio/coverage as you do with a 3x9 setup.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    If that's true then RS has come a long way since last year. I have owned an '08 Lyric with a 2 different dampers,
    On the 36 vs Lyric side, we still sell more of the Fox 36. I was talking mainly about the the Reba vs fox 32 world. Trail & race bikes not the bigger hit stuff. We've sold a lot of Reba's in the past few years and they have been stellar.

We have not sold enough Lyrics to really get a good feel of how they are holding up, I bet we have only sold 4 or 5 lyrics in the past 2 years vs dozens of Fox 36's.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com