Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Right of way

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9

    Right of way

    Last year I was riding Falcon by myself. Beautiful afternoon, not a whole lot of people up on the mountain yet. ( I left the trail around 4:30 p.m.)

    Up above the picnic bench heading towards Parmalee, after you make the right heading towards the bathrooms and the trailhead for the loop there is a double track/fireroad where you can easily see for a couple hundred yards.

    I was hammering along the right side of the road when I saw a ranger walking along that road. I began to wave hi to the guy when he yelled at me to stop. I slammed on the brakes and stopped. He then began yelling at me for not stopping, getting off my bike and walking past him. Again, this road is wide enough for 2 cars to pass. If it was singletrack i would have stopped, let him by and continued riding.

    Am I nuts or is this an insane idea to have to not only stop your bike but to also get off and walk by someone on a double track road????? I mean, when does common sense come into play? I have never in all the years i've ridden falcon have any issues w/ hikers or anyone else.

    discuss...

  2. #2
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,481
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeed74
    discuss...
    No.

  3. #3
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    No.
    I apologize for Ithnu's brashness. What he really meant was "no thank you."
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  4. #4
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I apologize for Ithnu's brashness. What he really meant was "no thank you."
    I was not referring to my opinion, but instead dictating to the rest of you internet sheep!

  5. #5
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I was not referring to my opinion, but instead dictating to the rest of you internet sheep!
    Oh thank you.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  6. #6
    Shoulda went faster
    Reputation: nomad rdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    303

    this one time...

    This one time at band camp....no no wrong story. I mean this one time at Palmer Park this ginormous dude on a little white bike ran me off the trail. The next time I see him should I.... jam a stick in his spokes....clothes line him...or run and hide?

    discuss

  7. #7
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad rdr
    This one time at band camp....no no wrong story. I mean this one time at Palmer Park this ginormous dude on a little white bike ran me off the trail. The next time I see him should I.... jam a stick in his spokes....clothes line him...or run and hide?

    discuss
    That's so funny because I had almost the same experience with some scrawny a-hole on black bike in Palmer Park. I ever carry around a stick in my pack with "for that Sanata Cruz rider, with love" carved into it. I'll get that little biotch back one of these days.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  8. #8
    Shoulda went faster
    Reputation: nomad rdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    That's so funny because I had almost the same experience with some scrawny a-hole on black bike in Palmer Park. I ever carry around a stick in my pack with "for that Sanata Cruz rider, with love" carved into it. I'll get that little biotch back one of these days.
    Well I was going up a 2% grade. He should have yielded! Santa Cruz fo life sucka...

  9. #9
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,481
    On a different train of thought...I was parking at REI the other day and some guy and his kid walked right in front of my truck through the parking spot I was pulling into. If I hadn't hit my brakes, I'd have hit them. Bunch o' dumba$$es out there, who walks in front of a moving car?

  10. #10
    Big Boned
    Reputation: Manmountain Dense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,535
    Clearly this situation called for escalation. If you'd been adequately armed and equipped, you could have killed, butchered and wrapped this guy's carcass in a matter of minutes. Donate the meat to a soup kitchen and -- hey -- what's that saying about getting stoned with two birds?

    It's obviously your fault for lacking the forethought to arm yourself properly.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

  11. #11
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    I suggest a throat punch; it's quite effective.

  12. #12
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    It's obviously your fault for lacking the forethought to arm yourself properly.
    Never again. I told you about my stick, didn't I?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  13. #13
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    biker fox wept...

  14. #14
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,481
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    biker fox wept...
    Did you say Biker Fox???
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,837
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeed74

    discuss...
    Them are the rules... Signage is everywhere.

    As to what constitutes a distance from which you let the passerby by, well, that's a grey area. You got a particular a-hole in this instance...

    I really do find it hard to believe that a ranger would have issue with a double track fire road. Jeffco isn't typically that anal.

  16. #16
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,119
    There is not enough information in the word problem to determine if you are nuts.


    However, if this happens again, here is the solution.


  17. #17
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,495
    I'd have told him to kiss my a$$.

  18. #18
    Going, Going, Gonzo
    Reputation: insect_o_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad rdr
    This one time at band camp....no no wrong story. I mean this one time at Palmer Park this ginormous dude on a little white bike ran me off the trail. The next time I see him should I.... jam a stick in his spokes....clothes line him...or run and hide?
    discuss
    Strike up a friendly conversation with the individual and suggest he avail himself of the lovely Western sections of the Templeton trail that are (mis)marked with a green "Beginners" circle.
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

  19. #19
    Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Reputation: thebigred67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    There is not enough information in the word problem to determine if you are nuts.


    However, if this happens again, here is the solution.


    I love MP!!!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kosayno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Never again. I told you about my stick, didn't I?
    That wasn't you at Deer Creek today about 5:45ish was it? No joke, I was finishing my descent there and this 12" stick comes flying in front of me outta nowhere. I stopped and picked it up and was gonna wait to use it on some dude and his son who I saw shuttling by foot at the wall of shame with their black and white Knollys. I think his name was DW, uhh something.

  21. #21
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,637
    do you carry a gun incase of mtn lions?

  22. #22
    fyyff
    Reputation: day-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    113
    It's not a double track...they're two separate trails that just happen to run parallel to each other.

    "Look, you were on THAT trail, and I was on this one."

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    71
    that ranger needs to get a life, he was probably waiting for the opportunity to go off on a biker
    Should have laughed and kept riding
    I am always respectable to rangers and anyone in that field of work, but that is power tripping
    How would you like to be an egg?
    You only get laid once.
    You only get eaten once.
    It takes four minutes to get hard.
    Only two minutes to get soft.
    You share your box with 11 other guys
    But worst of all..
    the only chick that ever sat on
    your face was your mother!!!
    So cheer up, Your life ain't that bad!!!!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    131
    I think the key is this... "I was hammering along the right side of the road when I saw a ranger walking along that road".

    I suspect had you made an effort to slow down when passing a hiker, he might have been cool and waved to you. That should apply in all situations. The hikers don't know if you are in control or not and don't want you bounding into them. I don't get where some riders just find it so hard to slow down when going by a hiker. Just a couple of revolutions of the crank and you are back to full speed.
    WTF

  25. #25
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    ... I saw shuttling by foot at the wall of shame with their black and white Knollys. I think his name was DW, uhh something.
    Ohhh... don't even get me started on Knolly riders. They're the worst breed. In addition to the black and white ones, I've had issues with the green ones too.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •