mtbr member

Riding from your door...in Fort Collins & the HighCountry

Howdy Folks!

My S.O. and I will be moving to Fort Collins soon and am wondering what it is like in terms of commuting to the trails by bike. We will be on the West side of town in the CSU zone. It looks like the Horsetooth Area is the closest and pretty easy to ride to... Is this true?? Any other good ride-to zones in FC?

Also, good high country riding close by? Dirt road tours over passes and whatnot?

Thanks
    Last edited by cluster_tolerance; 06-25-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Reading Features...
    Cracking Features...
    Assembling Features...

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    I ride from home almost exclusively and I live in the same area of town as you describe. My favorite route is to ride to the end of Michaud Lane via Mountain Ave. or Laporte to Overland to Michaud Lane (Reservoir Ridge Natural Area), ride over the hogback, come out on 38E/Centenial Drive (at the western Reservoir Ridge trail head), then ride the road to Lory State Park. From there my riding depends on time and energy, but there's miles and miles of interconnected goodness in Lory, Horsetooth, Bluesky, etc...

The Poudre and Big Thompson are gateways to lots of great higher elevation riding. Do some searches for other more distant but must-do high country rides. Lot's of threads on that topic.

mtbr member
    I live on the West side as well. You can hit Maxwell / Shoreline for quick lunch loops out your door, pretty fun ride, nice tech sections with a bit of road thrown in. Horsetooth is about a 15 minute drive from my house (I live about a mile from the stadium), from Horsetooth or Soderberg lot you can mix & match loops up for all day riding. There is also the new Blue Sky lot (or Soderberg) where you can hit Blue Sky trail to Devils Backbone, plus a couple other loops along the way. I am stoked to live where I do

mtbr member
    Yeah, what they said. I live on the East Side of town now, moving to the West side tomorrow.

You can hit many miles of trails from where you'll be living as long as you don't mind a little pavement mixed in. My regular right now is to take the Spring Creek bike path to Pine Ridge Natural Area, do a loop at Pine Ridge to warm up, then hit Maxwell, Foothills, Shoreline, Michaud. You can also ride to Coyote Ridge. Plenty of options.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    I live on the west side and you have ~ 2 good options for a "ride from home".

Ride the Foothills Trail north from the stadium (Maxwell, Shoreline, Res Ridge) and then drop down to the short pavement climb to Lory SP, connect to 50 mi + trails

Ride south from the stadium through Pineridge and connect to a short pavement ride to Horsetooth Mountain Park (aka HTMP), connect to the same 50 mi + of trails.

Ft Collins is probably "the best city on the Front Range" for out your door rides.