Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Green Hornet

Is riding White Ranch on a S.S. any fun?

I counted four different S.S riders on White Ranch yesterday coming up Belcher from the bottom parking lot. I can't belive that climb is a whole lot of fun in a huge gear, the sandy and rocky section must be brutal? Do you crazy people get all the way up to the top without your lungs exploding?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I rode WR once with a SS-er. He kicked a$$. And seemed to have fun.

skillz to pay billz
    they're probably not running a huge gear

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Is White Ranch fun on any bike?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    It probably is.

The SS 29er dewds who were looking sideways at our 5/6" travel bikes at Buff Creeek on Sunday were probably asking themselves similar questions. So, to the loud, sprayful guy who roosted our group twice on his Raleigh XXIX....if you happen to be reading this...yep, we had fun, my Napoleonic friend.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Is White Ranch fun on any bike?
    YES! And Ill prove it today @ 3pm!

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron
    It probably is.

The SS 29er dewds who were looking sideways at our 5/6" travel bikes at Buff Creeek on Sunday were probably asking themselves similar questions. So, to the loud, sprayful guy who roosted our group twice on his Raleigh XXIX....if you happen to be reading this...yep, we had fun, my Napoleonic friend.
    dogdOOd, was that you?

mtbr member
    Is riding a SS fun? Seems more like knee torture and ligament wear. Now fire-road touring...I can dig that.

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    dogdOOd, was that you?
    Yep, that was me, though I'd hardly consider myself loud nor would I consider my honest apologies Napoleonic in any way.

You can root through all of the sh*t in this thread to make of it what you will:

Elitist 29er douchebaggery

I still feel bad about the whole thing, but there are, of course, two sides to every story. More than that, I would think that posting about a local issue in the 29er forum would be bad enough. Now it appears that I'll be branded a douchebag in perpetuity throughout the universe.

mtbr member
    the climb up belcher sucks @$$ for sure, but i really enjoy the stuff up top (rawhide, short horn, shlong horn). haven't had my lungs explode yet, but i've puked a little in my mouth just trying to get to that friggin bench on belcher. good times.

mtbr member
    I took my Kona SS Unit 29er up there last week. My knees still don't feel the same...

Motion activated
    So do you guys on the SSs clean the whole climb, including the single track to the very top, without stopping/walking/dabbing? That's gotta hurt.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

jl
    climb
    It was fun in 2006. I haven't been there in a while--maybe its not as fun anymore...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    So do you guys on the SSs clean the whole climb, including the single track to the very top, without stopping/walking/dabbing? That's gotta hurt.
    If someone says they can, then they're lying.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    If someone says they can, then they're lying.
    On a good day I can do it on my 36lb Reign. It's not a SS, but I don't think I ever get out of my Granny/34 tooth, so does that count?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    On a good day I can do it on my 36lb Reign. It's not a SS, but I don't think I ever get out of my Granny/34 tooth, so does that count?
    No - doing it with big travel like that is basically cheating.

Motion activated
    No - doing it with big travel like that is basically cheating.
    ... but my fork was wound down to 115mm.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    ... but my fork was wound down to 115mm.
    Wow - you were *really* cheating.

Old, stale, negative
    I'd like to know if anyone has really cleaned it to the bench on a 32x20 or so. I've made it with two dabs on a 32x24 with cleaning the climb being the only reason I was there. On a normal day that climb wins every time. Maybe one day. I'm going to try it today on a Spot belt drive. I bet I can walk that thing just as well as my Voodoo.

Motion activated
    Wow - you were *really* cheating.
    Phhhffffff. Have you ever wound down a Lyric fork? Takes quite a bit of effort, with all the turning and the ratching. Major arm pump and I'm winded before the climb even starts.

mtbr member
    My Unit 29er has a 32-18 setup. I don't clean anything.

mtbr member
    Doesn't count, but still good

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Phhhffffff. Have you ever wound down a Lyric fork? Takes quite a bit of effort, with all the turning and the ratching. Major arm pump and I'm winded before the climb even starts.
    I've got an '01 Psylo UTurn. So I DO know all the effort involved in those damn forks.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    Yep, that was me, though I'd hardly consider myself loud nor would I consider my honest apologies Napoleonic in any way.

You can root through all of the sh*t in this thread to make of it what you will:

Elitist 29er douchebaggery

I still feel bad about the whole thing, but there are, of course, two sides to every story. More than that, I would think that posting about a local issue in the 29er forum would be bad enough. Now it appears that I'll be branded a douchebag in perpetuity throughout the universe.
    Woah, I didn't even see that other thread....I don't check the 29er board regularly.

No sweat Dogdude. It was only the first guy in the group who seemed to vibe us, at the top of Gashouse he barely touched his brakes as he came through our pack at the intersection, and he was practically speed-tucking. I thought it was funny as hell. When he popped out of the saddle and started losing traction as he sprinted thru us again at the next encounter was classic as well. People like that crack me up.
    Thanks for the post here and the other thread, we're all just having fun out there on bikes, I doubt anyone had any more fun than me on Sunday, even on my 575.

Green Hornet
    Wow, started this thread 4 hours ago and it is going nuts. Training for Steamboat I tried to do Belcher bottom to very top twice yesterday. I can push middle chain ring to the start of the sandy/rocky section and then all bets are off for awhile. That section gives me major fits everytime I am up there. Then the big left turn just past the upper fire road crossing.

On a side note, you would think years of bikers riding the sandy section would creats some sort of path up the middle?

FYI I do ride a 29" bike and love it.

Thanks for the fun on a slow day at work

-Chuck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast