Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I licked a frog.

Riding with Weapons - Chapter 2

we had a mountain lion kill & cache a deer in our yard last night here in Evergreen. s/he is back and I've been watching, filming & taking pictures for the past hour. the thing is freaking huge. I put my laser on him with one in the chamber just to say, "I could have."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOFRtaitvE
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleCrumbstorm
    we had a mountain lion kill & cache a deer in our yard last night here in Evergreen. s/he is back and I've been watching, filming & taking pictures for the past hour. the thing is freaking huge. I put my laser on him with one in the chamber just to say, "I could have."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDOFRtaitvE
    I would have IF: 1) I was a good shot (I am) 2) I knew that if I happened to not kill it on the first shot I'd be able to track it to finish the job (tough call---letting a wounded cat get away would be the worst thing to happen in a populated area) and 3) The local authorities would congratulate you on getting rid of a nuisance cat (sorry, cat, stashing your kill in somebody's back yard kinda points to you being just too familiar with humans---in case anybody out there hasn't noticed, we are the superior life form and I value a human's life over a cat's life).

However, only 1 out 3 means you made the right call. What would Evergreen authorities advise you do when it comes back?
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Living the High Life
    So is the deer still hidden somewhere in your yard?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

I licked a frog.
    the authorities would say leave it alone which is what I'm doing. at the beginning of last night I was sneaking out of my house, opening & closing doors as quietly as I could so as not to spook it. by the end of the night I was opening & closing doors as I normally would, whistling at it and shouting - nothing seemed to remotely bother the cat. I kept my distance but noise & lights didn't cause it to even flinch.

the deer is still in my yard. it is only about 25% devoured - a lot for a 110 pound deer. I expect the cat will be back again tonight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I would have IF: 1) I was a good shot (I am) 2) I knew that if I happened to not kill it on the first shot I'd be able to track it to finish the job (tough call---letting a wounded cat get away would be the worst thing to happen in a populated area) and 3) The local authorities would congratulate you on getting rid of a nuisance cat (sorry, cat, stashing your kill in somebody's back yard kinda points to you being just too familiar with humans---in case anybody out there hasn't noticed, we are the superior life form and I value a human's life over a cat's life).

However, only 1 out 3 means you made the right call. What would Evergreen authorities advise you do when it comes back?
    If you lived in Evergreen and I saw you about to do what you say above, I would shoot you first IF: 1) I was a good shot (I am) 2) I knew that if I happened to not kill you on the first shot I'd be able to track you to finish the job (tough call - letting a wounded ignorant jack-ass get away would be the worst thing to happen in a populated area) and 3)The local wildlife would congragulate me on getting rid of a nuisance ignorant jack-ass human being (sorry human, but in case anyone hasn't noticed, incredibly ignorant and incredibly dangerous humans are out there EVERYWHERE, and it is a long shot for sure to say that you are superior to other life forms)

Seriously now xcguy, your attitude on this really sucks. Where do you live? Making the choice to live in Evergreen or any other similar area, means you do so with the complete understanding that a lion or bear could possibly make a kill in your yard. What do you do? You leave it alone, it will feast and then move on. If that is something you are not ok with, then you simply don't live in those types of places. There are plenty of apartments in downtown Denver where you can feel safe from all the wildlife. Personally, I have a much greater fear of human beings than I do any mountain lion or bear.

SS Chimp
    For the cat's sake call DOW and have them come out and remove the carcass. By leaving the carcass you are only strengthening the cats comfort with close proximity to humans.

Between these gems...

I put my laser on him with one in the chamber just to say, "I could have."
    in case anybody out there hasn't noticed, we are the superior life form
    ...I have already had my daily WTF moment.
    Last edited by 32x18; 10-14-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    all single...all the time

!Vamos, flaco!
    You should file an eviction notice in Jefferson County Court.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

rr
    I don't do PC
    I love the part "you bastards on MTBR.com"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I find ironic the use of the term "'my' yard."

Humans have been wastefully encroaching on wildlife habitat, forcing exposure to natural predators like mountain lions where there would otherwise be none.

Humans the "superior life form?" That's highly arguable.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're no manly stud hero.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just threw in that "humans are the superior life form" to elicit responses like we've gotten from individuals who truly believe that themselves, their wives, their children are a lower life form than animals like mountain lions or bears or any other beastie out there who could kill you in an instant. Lyle has seen endless responses from folks like that before on some of his other threads and here they are again. Carry on.
    Last edited by xcguy; 10-14-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Shattering Glass
    Not this loser thread again

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Bends But Doesn't Break
    I find ironic the use of the term "'my' yard."

Humans have been wastefully encroaching on wildlife habitat, forcing exposure to natural predators like mountain lions where there would otherwise be none.

Humans the "superior life form?" That's highly arguable.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you're no manly stud hero.
    If you want to get all philosophical about it, it could be argued that the human encroachment you bemoan has been good for the lions. We have some of the highest lion population densities in the state along the front range due to all the tasty hooved ungulates and other easy pickings, domesticated & otherwise, that goes hand in hand with a lack of hunting in those same areas.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    3) The local authorities would congratulate you on getting rid of a nuisance cat
    I suggest you DO shoot the cat, contact the local authorities and then get back to us with the amount of your fine and hours of community service you'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest
    Seriously now xcguy, your attitude on this really sucks. Where do you live? Making the choice to live in Evergreen or any other similar area, means you do so with the complete understanding that a lion or bear could possibly make a kill in your yard. What do you do? You leave it alone, it will feast and then move on. If that is something you are not ok with, then you simply don't live in those types of places. There are plenty of apartments in downtown Denver where you can feel safe from all the wildlife. Personally, I have a much greater fear of human beings than I do any mountain lion or bear.

I agree. Move to the city, problem solved.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

..ouch
    "I could have."
    The cat probably thought the same thing when he watched you take out the trash last week.

Borrow a truck and get the carcass out of your yard.. problem solved. Standard fare for mountain living.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

I say keep observing

Keep observing this all and documenting it. These animals are simply majestic. Keep and eye on the family and don't let them out at night. You are very lucky to be able to observe this peice of natural beauty.

However, I would certainly not sit by the wayside if this becomes a regular occurence in your back yard.

I will anticipate more photos to come and thanks for sharing.
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

felony charge

I hesitate to add anything to this discussion because it is so fraught with irrational thought, but I like to point out that objectively (regardless of what you think), it is a criminal act to kill a mountain lion (ok, with some exceptions regarding slef defense, etc.). I am personally aware of a criminal prosecution related to the shooting of a mountain lion, and the DA has charged the defendant with three felonies (the case is a little complex, not worth explaining here). The potential penalty is not community service, it is hard time, potentially more than 10 years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    For sure call DOW now. If you kill the cat and it was not threatening you, then you get the citation and court date and the locals will think poorly of you. Now if the cat turns on you and comes at you, then you are OK to shoot it. Make sure to show remorse so it goes over well in the news stories. Remember that guy in south Evergreen that wanted to shoot the cat that was stalking his child (or so he claimed). DOW warned him not to shoot the cat just to be shooting the cat. I think he listened to the DOW warning and all his neighbors got all over his case about it.
    WTF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lila
    The potential penalty is not community service...
    Sarcasm is hard to detect over the intranets but rest assured, the community service reference in my post WAS sarcasm.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Michael Vick might know what to do with a couple of big animals, some raw meat and plenty of free time...

Oh wait, all the animal right activists are already watching this forum....

Biker? I don't even know her.

I licked a frog.
    good lord, (some of) you people are insatiable.

first - does anyone appreciate the irony of a mountain lion caching dinner in my yard? you would have had to have been here for round one of "Riding with Weapons" to appreciate this.

second - all I am doing is sharing. I have not killed anything although I easily could have. clearly I am not going to.

third - if I did kill a mountain lion I would not post about it here.

any comments about us moving into their territory and how we're guests, etc. holy cow, Poindexter. I can only presume these comments are meant to incite because they're really stupid and your mother is ugly.

the best advice I have received to date comes from another local Evergreenite (3rd generation mountain person) who said, "if I got a cat in my yard it'd be the 3 S's." I said, "you'd shave & shower with it?" he said, "naw, it'd be Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up."

the precious mountain lion is safe for now. rest assured, if these circumstances change, you will never know.

Chronic 1st-timer
    I got a good recipe for napalm if ya need it.

"Smells like victory."
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    May 2007

(3rd generation mountain person)

Solid proof that your little neighbor friend is an inbred moron. Not surprised you consider his/her advice to be sound.

holding back the darkness
    Cool!
    You should give your little vid to some local real estate agents to show off the beauty of mountain living! All though, if I were riding at night and did see one, I'm not sure exactly how to take your advice to "do somethin about it"....
    I'm all for an armed society, but for more in terms of shooting rogue humans, not for shooting wildlife.
    Thinking about this a little more.... When I was a kid our cats would run around the yard and field and kill things all the time. Often they would bring back their prized kills and delicately place them on the doorstep. This was always taken as some sort of humble offering. I think this cat is just trying to make friends. Crack open a can of tuna and knock off the top off a gallon of milk. Cute little critter.
    Lyle... this is great! You can be the first on your block to have a pet mtn lion!
    **** censorship

Stiff yet compliant
    good lord, (some of) you people are insatiable.
    No, I think you are the insatiable one.
    If you couldn't make a good guess how this thread would go before you hit the submit button then I really don't think internet forums are for you.
    Have you considered taking up Sudoku?

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    We have some of the highest lion population densities in the state along the front range...
    Not a meaningful fact unless you know the lion densities from 150-200 years ago.
    Last edited by Moustache rider; 10-14-2008 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Some of your guys aren't looking at this objectively. If a God damn MT lion was eating a fresh kill in my backyard i would fill it with holes. I wouldn't even think twice.

If the cat is comfortable enough to eat its meal in my yard then it likes me too much.
    If it was captured my animal control in my town it would be put down anyway.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Damn animals don't have any respect for private property.

You should call DOW without delay, get the carcass out of your yard and far away from people (if that's possible in Evergreen), and if you're not already up on living with wildlife guidlines, you need to freshen up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Lyle, why do you bother with us "bastards" after all the crap you took last year?

Quote Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
    Some of your guys aren't looking at this objectively. If a God damn MT lion was eating a fresh kill in my backyard i would fill it with holes. I wouldn't even think twice.

If the cat is comfortable enough to eat its meal in my yard then it likes me too much.
    If it was captured my animal control in my town it would be put down anyway.
    Heck yes! I got problems with chipmunks out by my place. If a GD MT chipmunk was eating a fresh acorn in my backyard I'd fill 'em fulla holes too! I wouldn't think twice either. Those little @#!ers need to understand who the superior mammal is!
    **** censorship

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Well if you do shoot it, put the deer carcass on your car, then when the lion gets on the car, you can blast away with impunity. Try not to hit the car. You can't kill a lion if he attacks your dog, it's against the law, but if he damages your car, according to Colorado statute, you're free to drill him. Those wacky legislators and their quirky sense of humor.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You all would have made great Pioneers

Cruisin' across the open plains in a wagon train, hundreds of years ago. I can just see it...first camping spot for the night and you're all "I don't know, Mr. Bear lives here, I'd feel bad about occupying his territory". Strange looks all around. "What are you talking about" his fellow pioneers ask.

Next day a grizzly charges, all the other guys are grabbing their guns, but you all just fall down and scream "kill me now, I'm the lower life form, you were here first (sob, drool, whimper)". After your teammates save themselves you're sent off to another wagon train with the words "take this guy, will ya, he's just so freakin' clueless. Good riddance".

Story to be repeated over and over again as you remain clueless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I love the part "you bastards on MTBR.com"
    HA HAH HA AHAH HHAHAHA! All you bastards! Priceless! There ARE a bunch of bastards on mtbr.com! Keep us posted up on this if it comes back tonight.
    Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well if you do shoot it, put the deer carcass on your car, then when the lion gets on the car, you can blast away with impunity. Try not to hit the car. You can't kill a lion if he attacks your dog, it's against the law, but if he damages your car, according to Colorado statute, you're free to drill him. Those wacky legislators and their quirky sense of humor.
    Ah, the law. A guy down near Canon City last year (sorry if it was some other town), anyway, he was from Wisconsin and a mountain lion was basically killing his dog in his yard and he shot the lion. Can you imagine a home owner making that decision? Anyhoo, a big legal uproar ensued but finally he was exonerated. His only comment to the press was "back in Wisconsin we take care of things." Wisconsin, Evergreen, some people just know how to take care of things.

Living the High Life
    Thank you Lyle, the front range forums were getting pretty dull lately. All these ride reports and people asking about moving here. Yawn, how about we argue about tires and shuttle Apex.

Really, that first part was not sarcastic. I find it interesting how some people voice real opinions, some voice sarcasm, and some can't tell the difference between the two and get everyone ticket off.

Why can't MTBR have that little popcorn eating guy ridemonkey does?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Well I for one can't wait for Chapter three of this book.... considering Chapter One and Chapter Two of this thread have elicited such an interesting range of responses.

So Lyle... what's next?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'd probably not shoot a mt lion for dragging a carcass there but if it attacked my dog, I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. Then I'd go lie under it on the hood my car and call 911 saying I was attacked by a mtn lion on my car...problem solved. Car was attacked and I was attacked while napping on it with my gun...and I snapped like a twig and...well, you guys know the rest.

That should make for quite a story.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    No, I think you are the insatiable one.
    I you couldn't make a good guess how this thread would go before you hit the submit button then I really don't think internet forums are for you.
    Have you considered taking up Sudoku?

Not a meaningful fact unless you know the lion densities from 150-200 years ago.
    Be kind of hard; not a lot of folks interested in counting mountain lions around Denver in the early 1800's. How about we just compare mountain lion population densities in the Front Range to those in primitive/wilderness areas throughout the rest of the state or the US even? Know what you'll find? The Front Range has some of the highest lion densities observed. Cats are self regulating based on territory size & food availability. Where there is more food, they will live in higher densities, but only to a point, 5-20 square miles, and that's where they're at along a lot of the Front Range. They do love our domesticated ala carte menus and open space buffet lines. Meow, meow, puppy chow!

Seriously, Colorado Division of Wildlife has loads of lion info.

SS Chimp
    first - does anyone appreciate the irony of a mountain lion caching dinner in my yard? you would have had to have been here for round one of "Riding with Weapons" to appreciate this.
    I was and it was old before the end of the second page.

second - all I am doing is sharing. I have not killed anything although I easily could have. clearly I am not going to.
    Ending the line with "I have not killed anything" would have been fine. Your addition of "although I easily could have. clearly I am not going to." only serves to impress us with your restraint and giving nature.

third - if I did kill a mountain lion I would not post about it here.
    I am quite sure you would post it here if you were getting the positive feedback your trolling for.

the best advice I have received to date comes from another local Evergreenite (3rd generation mountain person) who said, "if I got a cat in my yard it'd be the 3 S's." I said, "you'd shave & shower with it?" he said, "naw, it'd be Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up."
    Continuing to impress.

the precious mountain lion is safe for now. rest assured, if these circumstances change, you will never know.
    Please do let us know if you decide to jack around. I will gladly ring up my former DOW co-workers and send them right over for a chat.

Throw a couple more logs on...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 32x18
    I was and it was old before the end of the second page.

Ending the line with "I have not killed anything" would have been fine. Your addition of "although I easily could have. clearly I am not going to." only serves to impress us with your restraint and giving nature.

I am quite sure you would post it here if you were getting the positive feedback your trolling for.

Continuing to impress.

Please do let us know if you decide to jack around. I will gladly ring up my former DOW co-workers and send them right over for a chat.

Just for funsies I checked out your mtbr Profile. You list your day job as "jackass". You still got that job?

SS Chimp
    Just for funsies I checked out your mtbr Profile. You list your day job as "jackass". You still got that job?
    Oh yes...it is not just a job it is a career.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you lived in Evergreen and I saw you about to do what you say above, I would shoot you first IF: 1) I was a good shot (I am) 2) I knew that if I happened to not kill you on the first shot I'd be able to track you to finish the job (tough call - letting a wounded ignorant jack-ass get away would be the worst thing to happen in a populated area) and 3)The local wildlife would congragulate me on getting rid of a nuisance ignorant jack-ass human being (sorry human, but in case anyone hasn't noticed, incredibly ignorant and incredibly dangerous humans are out there EVERYWHERE, and it is a long shot for sure to say that you are superior to other life forms)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Grow up.

I licked a frog.

8:30 Tuesday - he's back

I pulled the Jeep around earlier today so that the headlights were facing the deer so I could go down and illuminate the scene in order to get a good picture. unfortunately when I turned on the lights the Jeep started making the, "ding, ding, ding" sound and the cat gradually got up and walked up the hill to hide in some brush. I managed to snap off the one picture below and then brighten it even more in Photoshop. I'll try to get a better one later tonight when he comes back out. right now he's just sitting in thick shrubs waiting for things to settle down.

when he stood up I was ground level with him and he was easily 200 pounds, probably more. I've never seen one this big even in captivity.

Big Boned
    Dude, just shoot the thing and be done with it. I wouldn't be messing around with a 200 pound cat with no fear of humans.

Besides, that thing looks like some good eatin'. I'd say, braised with potatoes, carrots and onions. Yum!

Eat it before it eats you.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This thread proves conclusively why intelligent, rational discourse should not be sought at MTBR. For mine and the mountain lions' sake, I pray there are no policy makers here.

From a place where large wildlife and humans seem to coexist without too much discomfort: (Laughable attempt to tie the point of my post into the thread theme.)

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/41593/

Oh, and Manmountain: Wow, indeed. In reciprocal gratitude and admiration of the absurd, my favorite YouTube personality of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ffufBzgQiE. So charming.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just curious, where in Evergreen do you live?

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mikolajewskic
    Just curious, where in Evergreen do you live?
    Obviously -- where the mountain lions claim as their hunting territory!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    From a place where large wildlife and humans seem to coexist without too much discomfort: (Laughable attempt to tie the point of my post into the thread theme.)

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/41593/
    Yes, because nothing says "I coexist with nature" quite like fire road width trails and artificial wooden structures serviced by chairlifts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes, because nothing says "I coexist with nature" quite like fire road width trails and artificial wooden structures serviced by chairlifts.
    Forget for a moment that I in fact made no mention of coexisting with "nature." It is observable, however, that the bears, i.e. "large wildlife", seem to be fairly content at Whistler. The humans seem that way as well.

I don't believe that it is possible for humans to "coexist with nature" in any sense of the phrase.

EDIT: (again) I should have typed, "I don't believe it is possible for humanity and nature to coexist." My apologies.
    Last edited by perioeci; 10-14-2008 at 09:55 PM.

Cruisin' across the open plains in a wagon train, hundreds of years ago. I can just see it...first camping spot for the night and you're all "I don't know, Mr. Bear lives here, I'd feel bad about occupying his territory". Strange looks all around. "What are you talking about" his fellow pioneers ask.

Next day a grizzly charges, all the other guys are grabbing their guns, but you all just fall down and scream "kill me now, I'm the lower life form, you were here first (sob, drool, whimper)". After your teammates save themselves you're sent off to another wagon train with the words "take this guy, will ya, he's just so freakin' clueless. Good riddance".

Story to be repeated over and over again as you remain clueless.
    I'd have just shot all those other pioneers the minute they started whining about wanting to stop for the night.
    Yeah!
    More meat for the meat eaters!
    (is anyone else catching on to the ridiculousness of these arguements?)
    Last edited by subliminalshiver; 10-14-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    "naw, it'd be Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up."
    Best advice I've seen on this topic.

These mt. lion threads always bring out the fruitloops that want a predator living near a population center to be accomodated. Unless you twits are vegan, cut the hypocritical crap.

I have a home in a rural/forest area and if I ever see a mt. lion within range of my 30-06 is it going down because it got too close. And no, I won't be calling DFG nor will I be posting about it here or anywhere else. I'll follow the advice above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    Best advice I've seen on this topic.

These mt. lion threads always bring out the fruitloops that want a predator living near a population center to be accomodated. Unless you twits are vegan, cut the hypocritical crap.

I have a home in a rural/forest area and if I ever see a mt. lion within range of my 30-06 is it going down because it got too close. And no, I won't be calling DFG nor will I be posting about it here or anywhere else. I'll follow the advice above.
    Which certainly lends credence to my opinion. (You know: Humanity + Nature = Fiasco.)

mtbr member
    Lyle please post your approx. location. I live in wonderview off 73 and I have found a recent kill in Cub Creek Park, heard a lion kill an animal south of CCP in 2006 and know the house where a lion charged a couple two years ago (near 73 and Brook Forest rd). I also found a huge fresh footprint today on a trail at a creek crossing in southern CCP. I like riding trails that only have my tire tracks and are unknown to the masses but that means a lion attack there is game over. They would not find my bones until May.

If your lion is the same one that attacked the couple two years ago I strongly suggest you call DOW immed. The lion would have killed the couple had they not run back into the house and slammed the sliding glass door shut as the animal smashed into the barrier.

Excellent!
    Speed of Lightening
    Roar of Thunder

I licked a frog.

brutal

the top picture I took last night at about 10:00 p.m. the other 3 are of the gradual disappearance of the deer.

to answer a few questions:

1. I live up Upper Bear Creek (Evergreen Westside (Westsiiiiiieeeeeed))

2. my ignorant, hillbilly neighbors are wealthy, intelligent people.

3. I have not called DOW yet because they are worthless in situations like this. I have called them in the past to do something about a mountain lion that mauled my dog (and caused injuries that ultimately led to his death) right in my front yard right in front of me and they said that if it has not harmed people or livestock then they do not take action. they might come remove the carcass if they have time but what will that accomplish? the lion will kill another deer, dog, cat, or worse (unmentionable) and nothing will have been solved. I am aware that even then, another cat will come along and take its place but the next one might not drag its dinner to w/in 20' of someone's house and eat it while an entire family whistles & shouts and flashes lights at it.

I am consulting with my neighbors today and we will decide our course of action. if we kill this cat the sound of the shots fired and their concequences will remain a neighborhood secret. if the DOW comes out and captures it in order to relocate it I will take many pictures and video and share with everyone.

Stiff yet compliant
    Lyle, I am seriously wondering why started this thread. After the way "Riding with weapons" part 1 went and how part 2 is going. Plus the fact that you obviously hold contempt for many of the people (bastards) on this board, why do you continue poking yourself in the eye.
    Now you put up notice of an illegal act you might be committing in the future where anyone in the world can see it?
    I generally think "Troll" is an overused and misused accusation.
    But...

Bad Andy
    I, for one, liked it, and found it interesting - especially the pix, though I'm not sure I would have walked up to the deer to take those pix!!
    Thanks Lyle.
    Insert picture of the popcorn eating dude here...

Pivot Rider

Am I missing something??

I still don't understand why people continue to want to live in forested, "wild-animal habitat" places and then proceed to complain about the fact that OMG! there are wild animals living here! AND, OMG! they kill other animals in order to survive! AND, OMG! they just attacked my dog, cat, chicken, goat, etc. (which is just another food group to them). AND, OMG! there is a good possibility they may even attack a human, which for some reason we think they KNOW is way more intelligent and not part of the WILD ANIMAL food chain. HOW do they know this? Apparently, someone must have sat down and talked with these wild critters at some point in time and explained that "thou must not attack the 2-legged creatures for they are much smarter than you!"

I am totally not getting the "logic" of this thread...... If you live in an area that is inhabited by wild critters, then you will be subject to the rules of the land that they live by. You have choices to make and this thread had covered them. However, let me remind you that YOU decided to live with danger (i.e. wild critters) when you decided to live where you live. Its all about choices, my friend....

I licked a frog.
    I generally think "Troll" is an overused and misused accusation.
    But...
    think what you want. call me names if you want. stand up and poop in your pants if you want. it's all entertainment to me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If it were me, I would get rid of the carcass first. If it happened again then I would probably follow the advice from your neighbors, paying close attention to the 3rd "S". I hope this situation gets resolved for you without too much trouble.

Stiff yet compliant
    it's all entertainment to me.
    AH HAH! You reveal yourself.
    Your avatar hints at something else. I think you did a little too much LDS.

mtbr member
    Check out the picture in this story:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...potted-folsom/

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I think you did a little too much LDS.
    You gotta watch those guys, they'll tie you up for hours trying to sell you a new saviour if you so much as open the door. Mt lions are nothing compared to LDS members.

With that said - I'd shoot the focker, on the principle that it's a cat, and cats are nasty, smelly, foul creatures that cannot be taught to stay the fock off the counters. Today, fresh kill in the backyard. Tomorrow, paw prints next to the french press - stop it before it gets out of hand.
    Now with more vitriol!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    You gotta watch those guys, they'll tie you up for hours trying to sell you a new saviour if you so much as open the door. Mt lions are nothing compared to LDS members.

With that said - I'd shoot the focker, on the principle that it's a cat, and cats are nasty, smelly, foul creatures that cannot be taught to stay the fock off the counters. Today, fresh kill in the backyard. Tomorrow, paw prints next to the french press - stop it before it gets out of hand.
    Rat -- Cat. Coincidence? I think not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    I still don't understand why people continue to want to live in forested, "wild-animal habitat" places and then proceed to complain about the fact that OMG! there are wild animals living here! AND, OMG! they kill other animals in order to survive! AND, OMG! they just attacked my dog, cat, chicken, goat, etc. (which is just another food group to them). AND, OMG! there is a good possibility they may even attack a human, which for some reason we think they KNOW is way more intelligent and not part of the WILD ANIMAL food chain. HOW do they know this? Apparently, someone must have sat down and talked with these wild critters at some point in time and explained that "thou must not attack the 2-legged creatures for they are much smarter than you!"

I am totally not getting the "logic" of this thread...... If you live in an area that is inhabited by wild critters, then you will be subject to the rules of the land that they live by. You have choices to make and this thread had covered them. However, let me remind you that YOU decided to live with danger (i.e. wild critters) when you decided to live where you live. Its all about choices, my friend....
    Well, Yetigirl, what's wrong with the theory that if Lyle lives in an area that has mountain lions on it those lions should be subject to the rules that he lives by? Like, no killing/storing/eating fresh kill near his house (I'd also add "on his property" but that would then bring up the endless discussion about whether he even has the right to "own" property).

Wherever you live there were once wild beasties. They aren't there anymore. How guilty do you feel about that? I don't think you're just not getting the topic of this thread, I think you lead a somewhat delusional life thinking that man has no rights that supercede wild animals rights, whatever the situation. Lyle isn't going way out in the boonies searching for wild game, this one is feasting just over there from his back door. I just don't think you're capable of putting yourself in his position. Pretty capable of talking sh!t, though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    There is an LDS facility right by my house. Why just the other day a group of them was at my front door, and wouldn't you know it one of them was munching on some beef jerky. It looked and smelled fresh, why the clean-shaven sharp-dressed bastard must have quite recently made the kill. I was willing to overlook it this time, but if he comes munching jerky all smug-like on my front porch again I will fill him full of holes.

And I won't post about it either, it will be between me and my neighbors only.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update! Please keep'em coming. Love the "deer disappearing" pics!
    The hypocracy on this thread is incredible! Popcorn please! Not sure what I would do..but if I had kids or such, probably going to take care of the problem one way or another. I'd start by removing the carcass, but in no way would I rule out the .270 option either.
    Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    Kinda funny seeing one deadhead attack another with so much venom. I thought we were supposed to be family???? I also live in Evergreen, and would think a call to DOW and self-removal of the deer carcass would be the best course of action.

Pivot Rider
    Wherever you live there were once wild beasties. They aren't there anymore. How guilty do you feel about that? I don't think you're just not getting the topic of this thread, I think you lead a somewhat delusional life thinking that man has no rights that supercede wild animals rights, whatever the situation. Lyle isn't going way out in the boonies searching for wild game, this one is feasting just over there from his back door. I just don't think you're capable of putting yourself in his position. Pretty capable of talking sh!t, though.
    Ah HA! I DO live in an area that is inhabitied by the "wild beasties"! They DO come right up to my door! AND, I DO understand his position! I just look at things a bit differently, don't cha know!

And yes, those that know me will tell you that I talk lots of smack and am a regular smarta$$! Get used to it!

skillz to pay billz
    Well, Yetigirl, what's wrong with the theory that if Lyle lives in an area that has mountain lions on it those lions should be subject to the rules that he lives by? Like, no killing/storing/eating fresh kill near his house (I'd also add "on his property" but that would then bring up the endless discussion about whether he even has the right to "own" property).

Umm... just because a house was built doesn't mean the beasts don't roam there anymore. These animals have a right to their shrinking habitat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ah HA! I DO live in an area that is inhabitied by the "wild beasties"! They DO come right up to my door! AND, I DO understand his position! I just look at things a bit differently, don't cha know!

And yes, those that know me will tell you that I talk lots of smack and am a regular smarta$$! Get used to it!
    Where do you live, 18th and Folsom? The only wildlife I have coming up to my door is rabbits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Umm... just because a house was built doesn't mean the beasts don't roam there anymore. These animals have a right to their shrinking habitat.
    Hey, didn't you post on Lyle's other thread a while back? I think you stated then more or less that animals' rights trump man's rights every time. Is that still correct?

I licked a frog.
    just for the heck of it I called the DOW and wouldn't you know it - nothing but recordings at every extension. I left a couple of messages but my neighbor, who is familiar with them as well, said, "forget about it. they're not going to do anything. they won't even remove the carcass. you're wasting your time." so there you have it. unless the DOW calls me back with some different information, I just heard what I already knew - and now you know (if you didn't already) the DOW couldn't give a rat's butt about a mountain lion doing what mountain lions do in the mountains.

on another note, for those who say we are encroaching on "their" territory - just to clarify, is there a place on earth where all humans should live so we don't bother the wildlife or are you just against preventative measures?

for the record I haven't complained about the wildlife or said, "OMG there's animals in my yard." all I have done is discuss my current situation.

Living the High Life
    If you live in an area that is inhabited by wild critters, then you will be subject to the rules of the land that they live by.
    Main wildlife rule: Survival of the strongest.

I'm not talking about looking for game in the wilderness or anything, but in Lyle's home territory. The cat probably likes living near humans, we never attack right? And we provide all these lovely little pets for them to eat and porches or sheds to stash kills. So on that logic, they chose to live near humans, humans have guns.

Saying that isn't fair because its unnatural isn't logical either, there are other primates who hunt with weapons, not just humans. We just have much nicer weapons

I'm not advicating shooting it. Just playing a little devil's advocate here. I think Lyle is doing the right thing, waiting to see what the cat does next. Maybe the cat likes him and is waiting for him to come out share the dinner it brought.

..ouch
    Lyle... why the fock are you leaving the rotting carcass hanging around in your yard for 3 days? I'm just fine with cats needing to be put down on occassion, but by leaving the carcass you're just socializing this thing. This is no different than leaving your trash or dog food sitting out at night, and I feel significantly less sympathy for your family pet getting attacked when you're inviting kitties back each evening for dinner.

Buck up buddy. You and the neighbor want to take care of business like mountain men then the first step is to break out a tarp, some work gloves and a truck.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Main wildlife rule: Survival of the strongest.

I'm not talking about looking for game in the wilderness or anything, but in Lyle's home territory. The cat probably likes living near humans, we never attack right? And we provide all these lovely little pets for them to eat and porches or sheds to stash kills. So on that logic, they chose to live near humans, humans have guns.

Saying that isn't fair because its unnatural isn't logical either, there are other primates who hunt with weapons, not just humans. We just have much nicer weapons

I'm not advicating shooting it. Just playing a little devil's advocate here. I think Lyle is doing the right thing, waiting to see what the cat does next. Maybe the cat likes him and is waiting for him to come out share the dinner it brought.
    I wish the grizzlies would come back then we could use them and mountain lions for cage matches. Maybe import some wolverines for a winner take all double down!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Lyle... why the fock are you leaving the rotting carcass hanging around in your yard for 3 days?
    Buck up buddy. You and the neighbor want to take care of business like mountain men then the first step is to break out a tarp, some work gloves and a truck
    THANK YOU!

SS Chimp
    Lyle,

Please remove the carcass from your yard. By leaving the carcass you are given positive feedback to a wild animal that will learn from the positive experience. If you remove the carcass you will remove one of the cat's reasons for being in your yard. If you do not remove the carcass you are inviting the cat back and knowingly escalating a situation that may end up in the cats death.

I live where we have cats, bears etc in the yard I can not imagine leaving the carcass knowing that it could endanger my dogs or neighbors. Having been a former DOW employee I understand the backlog and prioritization of issues that occurs and the frustration it can cause. I also can see you understand that removing the carcass is the correct course of action. Please don't let the lack of direct help from DOW keep you from taking the right action and possibly saving the cat's life.

Please dial one of the following numbers and speak with a DOW officer. I called both numbers and spoke with a human in under 1 minute. They very well may tell you to remove the carcass given your location but you may be surprised.

i can't type the letter s
    Yay Internet!

popcorn.gif

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ....Subscribing to read as the story continues....

mtbr member
    Lyle... why the fock are you leaving the rotting carcass hanging around in your yard for 3 days? I'm just fine with cats needing to be put down on occassion, but by leaving the carcass you're just socializing this thing. This is no different than leaving your trash or dog food sitting out at night, and I feel significantly less sympathy for your family pet getting attacked when you're inviting kitties back each evening for dinner.

Buck up buddy. You and the neighbor want to take care of business like mountain men then the first step is to break out a tarp, some work gloves and a truck.
    BINGO!! Alas..

2. my ignorant, hillbilly neighbors are wealthy, intelligent people.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Big Boned
    That's one calm and reasonable post, right there.

BOOOOO!!!

Lyle,

Please remove the carcass from your yard. By leaving the carcass you are given positive feedback to a wild animal that will learn from the positive experience. If you remove the carcass you will remove one of the cat's reasons for being in your yard. If you do not remove the carcass you are inviting the cat back and knowingly escalating a situation that may end up in the cats death.

I live where we have cats, bears etc in the yard I can not imagine leaving the carcass knowing that it could endanger my dogs or neighbors. Having been a former DOW employee I understand the backlog and prioritization of issues that occurs and the frustration it can cause. I also can see you understand that removing the carcass is the correct course of action. Please don't let the lack of direct help from DOW keep you from taking the right action and possibly saving the cat's life.

Please dial one of the following numbers and speak with a DOW officer. I called both numbers and spoke with a human in under 1 minute. They very well may tell you to remove the carcass given your location but you may be surprised.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

I licked a frog.

great point. can I call you Dick?

I'm socializing it? you don't think this thing is already domesticated? he is virtually unaffected by noise, light or people. my thoughts are - this cat is going to go kill another deer if I remove this one, or someone's dog or cat, etc. by removing his current meal maybe I'll just piss him off and he'll plot an elaborate revenge against me. either way who's that going to benefit? at least now I've got a show you don't see every night right outside my house.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Maybe it's just a nice, friendly kitty.

skillz to pay billz
    I don't recall, but i don't believe in killing wildlife just because it stepped on your mountain property. Call DOW and manage the animal scientifically. Frontier justice doesn't work.

Hey, didn't you post on Lyle's other thread a while back? I think you stated then more or less that animals' rights trump man's rights every time. Is that still correct?
    Last edited by nOOby; 10-15-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Yay Internet!

popcorn.gif
    'bout time that little popcorn eatin' guy showed his face. Why can't I figure out how to do that!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    'bout time that little popcorn eatin' guy showed his face. Why can't I figure out how to do that!
    Found another one. Just insert a "picture" and paste the image location:

friend of Apex
    I'm socializing it?............... at least now I've got a show you don't see every night right outside my house.
    Yes.

Pivot Rider
    HERE KITTY, KITTY, KITTY......

I think that Lyle hasn't removed the carcass because he wants the cat to be there. Wants the cat to become progressively bolder, until, under his watchful and careful eye it crosses some inviolable line, legal or otherwise and he gets his chance to shoot it.
    I think that this is true because he hates mountain lions and blames this cat for the tragic incident involving his dog.
    And I cannot say that I blame him in that regard. I was once chased by a pit bull while I was trying to save its owner after the dog chewed half her face off....
    I do not like pit bulls. I do not turn my back on them.
    While I can relate to Lyle I do not think his current line of reasoning or action is particularly healthy. He seems to understand that this particular cat is not the problem and that he lives in an area where mountain lions live and are even somewhat populous:
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleCrumstorm
    I am aware that even then, another cat will come along and take its place but the next one might not drag its dinner to w/in 20' of someone's house and eat it while an entire family whistles & shouts and flashes lights at it.
    So it would seem that he doesn't believe that killing the cat would solve this problem. Instead he is looking for some sort of vindication. He is Captain Ahab chasing the White Whale that crippled him. Looking for his revenge. He has been waiting for this day since the cat last visited him... staring out into the woods at night, waiting. At first with fear that it might come back, then convincing himself that it would come back. Over time, with plenty of nights to mill it over, to play with slow determination the scenario in which he would encounter the cat once again he has subliminally convinced himself that ultimately this is a question of survival, that it would come down to him or the cat, and that he would win.
    So now, his prophecy has come true! The cat is back and he will win! I think he believes that by killing this cat he can be rid of it, rid of fearing it and hating it but that is only because he has not thought past it, has never conceived scenarios of what the next night will be like after.
    I think that he neglects to consider that he will still stare out his kitchen window at night while washing dishes or on his back porch and find himself looking for eyes staring back at him, and all the fear and anger that he hoped had died with the cat are still there.
    The fact that he has posted all of this on mtbr lends to the theory in that he appears to be looking for support from his peers. This may seem dubious at best, but all that really takes is one other person to legitimize his thoughts. The naysayers are quickly written off as enemies and solidifies his justification.
    The original thread was about riding with weapons for use as self-defense in a lion attack. I think there is little question that it would not be feasible to effectively deploy a firearm against a pouncing mtn lion. But carrying a weapon while riding may provide a false sense of security that may allow some to ride with confidence.

Lyle: I really wish you the best of luck in dealing with this. I don't really care about the cat. You can shoot it or call DOW or make friends with it or whatever. I don't think it is a question of animal rights or property owners rights or human rights or survival of the fittest. It's about being scared and searching for a method of dealing with it.
    **** censorship

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wow. Nicely done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I continue to wonder why he bothers with us, but "sublime" seems to have some insight into his reasoning, or he (Lyle) is just obsessed with this mountain lion thing and can't let go.

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Wow. Nicely done.
    I 2nd that!

Are you running for president? I'll vote for ya!

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    those psych classes payed off!

Bad Andy
    great point. can I call you Dick?
    Sorry Thump, but being someone who graduated HS in 1982, I lol'd at this one.
    That was our favorite "dis" word to anyone for anything!!!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think he could have done more with the Ahab part.

skillz to pay billz
    dang, winter already?

Shread Ready
    Man, great thread. And, oh yeah, we want the popcorn eating icon!!

I'm not going to make any comments except for the fact that I like wild animals and especially wild cats! I just love Odin the White Tiger. This guy is so rare that they don't believe any more live in the wild. Now that's sad.

Just check out this rad fella and tell me how Dogs are better than cats.. Hehe... j/k I love dogs also..

http://www.nbc11.com/slideshow/news/...18/detail.html

old skool newbie
    I live in Evergreen too.
    I had a bear on my porch two weeks ago.
    I have friends near OP's road.
    I am more afraid of people like Lyle than of the bear or mountain lions.
    I am signing up for this silly arss thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    I think he could have done more with the Ahab part.
    don't encourage me......
    **** censorship

I licked a frog.
    comment moved to the bottom of the thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0