mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding season in Boulder/Denver area?

I've been thinking about a move out west from here in georgia, and one consideration is the riding season. Even though sometimes its a little chilly here, we can pretty much ride year round without much trouble. What about out there in colorado? I suppose if you're hard core enough you can slog through snow and ice, but what is the trail riding season like for normal people?

Perpetually single track
    You better define "normal" people a little better. Some of the people I've ridden with would probably define the season as year round. It gets cold, you need special (warm) gear, but if you want to, you can ride. I guess you'd have to say what's unacceptable. I just rode two nights ago wth a 40mph head wind, night lights, in around 40 F(warm) temps. Even when it snows here (we are a desert technically) it usually melts off pretty fast due to all the sun we get. AK Ken who hangs out in the passion forum is known to ride in -50 F Temps...little cold for me. Conditions are pretty prestine from April -> Oct, traveling more to the high country during the dead of summer(and winter for that matter for snow boarding).

Kirk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That answers my main question I guess. I was wondering if all the trails were covered with snow all winter long, it sounds like there's still plenty of riding if you choose your days. I don't mind riding in subfreezing temps, I don't know about below zero or anything, but 20-30 ish isn't too bad. Last time I was out there in CO I rode a trail that still had some snow in some areas, it didn't work too well! That was in may or thereabouts, but it was up in the mountains.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    That answers my main question I guess. I was wondering if all the trails were covered with snow all winter long, it sounds like there's still plenty of riding if you choose your days. I don't mind riding in subfreezing temps, I don't know about below zero or anything, but 20-30 ish isn't too bad. Last time I was out there in CO I rode a trail that still had some snow in some areas, it didn't work too well! That was in may or thereabouts, but it was up in the mountains.
    Yep - we ride year around. Seems like 49 weekends out of the year, there's always a trail or 3 dry enough to ride without damage. That leaves 3 other weekends for snowshoeing or snowboarding, which is ok for me. Even if it's crappy and muddy, most times you can just ride at night after the ground freezes or super duper early before it thaws.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

No relation

Colorado has a reputation for being very snowy

Partly because it always snows when the Broncos play Monday Night Football, partly because Coloradans want to discourage Texans and Californians from moving here (not working, by the way), and partly because the ski resorts boast about their base.

It's completely possible for Vail to have a six foot base and Front Range trails to be completely clear. After it snows, the sun comes out. It might still be in the 20 degree range, but the direct sun can melt snow anyway. The trails with southern facing exposure can clear in a day or two. The trails higher up, or with a lot of trees, can keep snow for weeks. When I first moved here ten years ago, I was amazed one winter day when there was a ton of snow overnight, and then I looked out of the window at the parking lot at lunchtime and the ground was dry, and all the snow had disappeared. At first I thought I'd fallen asleep for a few weeks.

This is the second time I've thought to myself that I should compile a list of trails with southern exposure, and it will probably be the second time I forget. maybe Bobcat already has this information...(he's a world famous guide book author).

So, to make a short answer long, a day when all front range trails are unrideable is very rare. There were a couple of days like that last March, though...
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

Perpetually single track
    I seem to remember that march...wasn't much of an issue for me as I couldn't even get out of my damn garage with the 5 foot drifts, let alone get to a trailhead. Cross country ski'd around town instead....