Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Medicine Wheel Guy

Riding Pueblo? - Major Bummer! - READ THIS

DO NOT PARK AT THE GATE on highway 96 if you are going to ride the Pueblo Reservoir trails. Drive to the dam parking lot. CARS ARE BEING BROKEN INTO on a daily basis at the lot on Highway 96. If you look around the lot at the gate, you will see about seven piles of broken glass, each one a smashed car window.

You should be safe at the marina parking lot.

I went down and rode Voodoo on Thursday, and when I got back to my car, both passenger side windows were broken out, the glove box ran through, and my pants stolen with a duffel bag. At least the #%ckers didn't get my wallet.

skillz to pay billz
    both windows? that ain't right. sorry to here that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Jeez oh man . That is a complete suck fest . Did you report this to the park rangers (Lake Pueblo)? I'm truly sorry that this happened to you. We have noticed ALOT of glass around the red gate . As you said, it really is better to park inside the rez, but hindsight is 20/20 (which completely sucks). Anywho, we'll talk to the park manager to let him know.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    I did call it in, the County cops plus the park ranger came out and took the report. They both had no idea it was happening. The cop's comment (probably accurate) was "probably some guy stopping by on his way home to break in the cars".

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I have a question: Where the hell are the police? How is it that I know about break-ins in a lot 2hrs away that happen at lunchtime and after work constantly and the cops have done nothing about it?

I suggest that we take these ****ers on. I'm willing to dedicate an entire day or two of the next month to sit at Red Gate and lie in wait with a gun if necessary (I'd have to buy one first - lol). Bet the break-ins stop if we go vigilante on the thief. Seriously, why are the police not doing a damn thing to protect our property? I've NEVER seen a policeman out by the reservoir, so perhaps they just don't care? Too many meth labs to bring down? Too many old people speeding 40 in a 35 to bust?

Odds are that this is one little group of druggies that we are worried about. They are breaking into cars MILES from where people usually are (red gate)... so they pull up and then pop windows and drive away... All we need is a license number and the BS stops.

skillz to pay billz
    maybe it's the cops and ranger trying to get their entry fee, Regardless I would rather the parks get the money than some crack head(or the window repair shop)
    Last edited by nOOby; 03-23-2008 at 07:15 AM.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    As an aside, I don't park at Red Gate because of this. I have a park pass and park near the marina. It doesn't appear that my $65 went towards the Rangers doing patrols around the park, so perhaps we have to take this into our own hands? So far, I've read about the break-ins every week now for the whole Winter - almost always happens at lunch or after work. Now, I'm a math major, so perhaps I'm just good at putting two and two together, but I'm seeing a pattern here. I'd say if I were a cop in a small-ass town and there was a liquor store getting robbed once a week at lunch and after work, that maybe I could prevent that crime if I just patrolled the liquor store around lunch and after work! It sure seems like the Rangers and Police are saying, "Wow, that sucks. Happens there all the time. Wish we had a thought about how we could help prevent this in the future, but alas, we just don't see how. Keep reporting it to us weekly and we'll file a report!"

How hard would it be for us to hide in our car and wait for the punk to pull up and start breaking into cars and then beat the ever-loving crap out of them and hold them til the Police show up? End of story... Maybe a webcam? lol It would help us for trail beta AND crime prevention!

Team Velveeta™

be justifiably paranoid

Quote Originally Posted by Martlet
    DO NOT PARK AT THE GATE on highway 96 if you are going to ride the Pueblo Reservoir trails. Drive to the dam parking lot. CARS ARE BEING BROKEN INTO on a daily basis at the lot on Highway 96...
    That lot always looked like a dangerous place to park to me. I parked there once years ago and was nervous about it the whole time I was out on the trails. Not trying to be a know-it-all, I'm truly sorry for anyone who has gotten nicked, but once bitten, twice shy. I've had vehicles looted twice, but not for over a decade. I operate with a strong sense of pessimism.

Also, I really doubt that red gate lot is in the Pueblo city limits. And certainly the park boundaries don't include hwy 96. It would probably be Otero County Sheriff jurisdiction. But it's quite a bit to expect that any law enforcement agency is going to make their priority guarding an unofficial parking area that people use to avoid paying the park entry fees. There are much higher concentrations of private property that need to be protected in the area. Again, not meaning to be a dick.

Last year I had a state parks pass and always parked inside. I don't have one yet this year, but I usually do get one. If you care about state rec resources, it's a nice contribution to make to state gov. And it makes it so you don't have to pay entry fees to use places like Fruita State Park and lots of other really nice state parks and campgrounds.

Other times I've gone to ride Pueblo I've just parked in grocery store parking lots in town and then ridden out of town on 96 to the res and back when I was done. It really only amounts to half hour or 40 minutes of non-dirt riding.

My $.02. Probably not popular.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    First, thanks for the warning. I noticed a pile of glass a couple weekends ago. I was happy to find my car ok when I finished.

Off topic: Is there a re-route to voodoo now?

Thanks.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    TomP - I totally understand your point, which is why I park inside the actual park and have paid for the park pass. I have no actual statistics to show that the amount of break-ins at Red Gate are higher/lower than those around Pueblo. I just have heard about a TON of break-ins there from mountain bikers posting here. I honestly don't care whose jurisdiction the crime falls in or which enforcement agency is dropping the ball. It's not a random crime. It is a repeat crime that happens with regularity and predictability. Is it illegal to park there? Are there no-parking signs there? Are you saying that if you park in a mini-skirt you deserve it when you get raped? (what the hell does that mean - not sure... sorry)... What part of "To Protect and To Serve" would you say that law enforcement is doing by saying "let's not catch criminals preying on our community because there are more houses over here to protect, and it's 100 yards out of my jurisdiction"? That's lazy and ridiculous. Period.

pcoady - I was there last weekend and rode the new detour - bumpy new trail... You ride out like heading towards Voodoo and it splits off and heads up to the road. Go through the fence and ride up the road to an entrance (fire road) and ride that to connect with Voodoo. Last I heard they are still awaiting CDOT approval of the new trail, which was expected some time before 4/20/08 - for the race.

Oh, So Interesting!
    How about posting a no parking sign with a warning on it and directions to the other lot?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Thread Terrorist
    This sucks, but I always wondered. My truck was almost broken into when parked at the top of the Ribbon.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Guys and gals.... First of all, Otero county is further east (La Junta). We actually have our own county (ie. Pueblo county). Secondly, the Lake Pueblo State Park has three full time park rangers, the rest are seasonal (not an excuse). Highway 96 is the jurisdiction of the CSP, Pueblo county sheriff dept., the state parks help monitor the area. Did you know that Lake Pueblo is the #1 tourist attraction in CO? However, 80% of the money goes north to Denver . The "red gate" was toted as the main entrance to the trail system by people who did not want to pay an entrance fee to a state park to ride the trails . Ozzie has written on line for many, many months that it is not wise to park at the red gate . Nobody here wants to have this reputation or bad publicity . The park WANTS to close access to this area; however, some of the locals who walk out on the trails (ie. older adults) find this the easiest entrance. Once again, the problems that we have faced for many, many years remain problems . We are trying as group to make things better. We can't control all. We had our car broken into on Gold Camp Rd., so it happens eveywhere. Yes, there is a reroute to VooDoo (thanks Ozzie ). The trail follows the old trail for approximately half a mile then turns south to Highway 96. CDOT is going to make an opening at the fence. However, it has snowed and rained here which has delayed the process. The trail will go thru the bar ditch and go back into the park where it will meander back thru the pinyons, cross Rock Creek and head back up the hill to the original trail-phew Sorry to go on. We will try to keep everyone updated.

friend of Apex
    and my pants stolen
    Gotta be a crackhead to steal another mans pants....
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Gotta be a crackhead to steal another mans pants....
    LOL... that's what I'm sayin! Don't you have to give a license and fingerprint to sell stuff at a pawn shop (which coincidentally there are 10 of on the drive out to red gate)? I'm guessing someone tried to sell those pants yesterday! How hard is police work? Honestly... you have to be dumber than a crack-head criminal to not catch this guy...

Thread Terrorist
    We can setup a sting. WOuldn't be hard to sit in the back of a tinted SUV with a gun and a cell phone
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I'm guessing someone tried to sell those pants yesterday!
    Man, If I saw someone wearing my stolen jeans, I would certainly let them know how much gas Clif Bars and biking produces , and that those were my after-ride free-ballin pants.
    Then I would procede to break the meth-head in half......and let him keep my soiled jeans.

I'll volunteer to "stalk" the thieves, too.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You know, I'm looking at the replies and when most people talk about Pueblo, crackheads, high crime, etc seem to always be associated with this area. It is somewhat discouraging to constantly defend an area that you are very familiar with, but everyone else seems to be an expert on. You can't tell me that this stuff doesn't happen in other areas. Whether people believe it or not, Pueblo is not a high crime area. Well, I don't want to brag about it, but Pueblo does have the highest teen pregnancy rate!!! (oops, bad joke-maybe we should have more teens mtn biking!). Anyway, if it's safer up north that is another option for people who think this way about Pueblo.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Muff
    You know, I'm looking at the replies and when most people talk about Pueblo, crackheads, high crime, etc seem to always be associated with this area. It is somewhat discouraging to constantly defend an area that you are very familiar with, but everyone else seems to be an expert on. You can't tell me that this stuff doesn't happen in other areas. Whether people believe it or not, Pueblo is not a high crime area. Well, I don't want to brag about it, but Pueblo does have the highest teen pregnancy rate!!! (oops, bad joke-maybe we should have more teens mtn biking!). Anyway, if it's safer up north that is another option for people who think this way about Pueblo.
    As a Denver native, I know crime happens everywhere around here, too.
    All trailheads have been hit at one time or another. It just seems like some thieves have taken a liking to this area and it has been included in many threads.
    Much like the trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    As a Denver native, I know crime happens everywhere around here, too.
    All trailheads have been hit at one time or another. It just seems like some thieves have taken a liking to this area and it has been included in many threads.
    Much like the trails in the area.
    Keep in mind that this area has not seen this much traffic on the trails EVER, until this winter. There has NEVER been so many cars parked up at the rate gate or along Highway 96 EVER, EVER, EVER. By the way, did I happen to mention that there has never been so much traffic before this winter? We love it (as MTBRs), but like it has been said over and over, bad things happen everywhere.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Muff - I wasn't trying to attack Pueblo, or you personally. Not everyone down there is a meth addict breaking into cars. I'm betting this is one guy or one group of kids that is doing the majority of the breakins at Red Gate. It is quite obvious that we are angry at the criminals, and not the good people of Pueblo. Nobody is suggesting that break-ins are happening solely in Pueblo. I think we are suggesting that nobody is going to do anything about it, so perhaps we should take the law into our own hands...

what nice teeth you have

Time to get the Trunk Monkey!

friend of Apex
    Maybe thieves are trolling this forum to see where to hit...
    Just a thought

Shattering Glass
    Where's that Lyle Crumbstorm guy when ya need him???

mtbr member
    Same thing happened 4 weeks ago to another fellow MtBR member,Blazing Saddles:
    Crime continuing at Pueblo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast