ss poser

riding near cos??

reposting/naming my thread since i didn't get any replies. is penrose reallly that small that no one knows where it is? well, here's the original post:

how far is penrose from cos? where's the good riding near there? thinking about a visit soon. what's the weather like in july/aug? thinking to bring the squishy bikes & leave the ss's home. unless... ? what's do ya'll think? did a search for cos bike trails, but not sure how serious these are, thought you'd be able to help more. tks for the advice.
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Penrose info

Penrose is very small, but not unheard of. They claim to have the world's tallest rocking chair (it's big).

As for useful info, Penrose lies about 30 min SSW of Colorado Springs if you don't get caught behind a petrified tourist on Hwy 115.

I don't know of any riding in the immediate Penrose Area. My Trails Illustrated map (Pikes Peak) of the area shows an unnamed trail just west of town, but it looks like access is through private property. Maybe the local BLM office in Canon City could hook you up with status and/or landowner info.

The good news is that Colorado Springs is full of great singletrack, and you hit most of it shortly after entering town. You could be at any of the great trails in the Cheyenne Canyon area in less than 45 minutes from town. This forum and the trail reviews portion of MTBR are full of great info on all the classic local rides (Buckhorn, Captain Jacks, Section 16, The Chutes, Palmer Park, Ute Valley Park, Waldo Canyon, etc, etc, etc.). I don't know when the new Cheyenne Mountain State Park is supposed to open to the public, but it comes ready made with some fine singletrack built by the local bike club, and it's probably only about a 25 minute drive from Penrose.

Canon City is only 10 miles away and also serves as a gateway to some other good rides. The Wet Mountains to the south of Canon City have some good singletrack. Don't go to Canon City for fun, though, as the median age of it's residents is probably about 68. You'll still need to cruise up into the Springs. Penrose is also close to Pueblo Reservoir (a short drive East), which has some good technical riding when the rest of Colorado is under snow.

Consider also trying to get further away if you've got the time. Just head west on Hwy 50 and in a couple hours, you're at the mack daddy--the Monarch Crest. Salida is also loaded with singletrack options. Another hour west is the Hartman Rocks area and Crested Butte.

In short, the options are enless, but few, if any, are right outside your door in Penrose. The good news is it's a fairly short trip to some great riding.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

More info

Just reread your original post an noted a couple more questions

1. July and August are very hot and usually very dry in Penrose (the last week has belied this as we've had gulleywashers almost every day). However, a little altitude makes a lot of difference. I often leave work in COS at 85 degrees and by the time I get to the trailhead at 7,000 feet, it's a comfortable 70-75, and feels like less when you get into the trees. Great riding weather in the mountains during the summer.

2. Most of the COS trails begin with stiff climbs at altitude. Unless you're quite fit, an SS is probably not a good choice. As for full squish, it is highly recommended. My favorite trail, Section 16, has a very steep mile strewn with rocks, roots, and big waterbar-drop switchbacks. Most other trails have a significant technical component as well. Palmer Park has every level of technicality you could possibly hope to find from easy smooth singletrack to full-on body armor hucking spots.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was up at Capt Jacks last weekend, and the moto's have destroyed that trail. There are plenty of other good rides in Cheyene Canyon.

Heard that Hwy 115 might have a closure due to flash flooding, check that out before using it between COS and Canyon City.

If you get a chance check out Rampart Reservoir, via Woodland Park. Nice singletrack loop, a few small technical sections. Around 12 miles for the loop.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Road closure update.

Looks like the road is washed out between Florence and US 50 (just south of Penrose). shouldn't affect travel between Penrose and COS. CDOT reports a projected reopening of 17 Jul.

ss poser
    tks guys!

so, cos is cooler than penrose? and if we drive farther, it's even cooler? just trying to stay out of the heat & get some epic riding in!

Dirt Displacer
    FYI, Cheyenne State Park is due to open in late August. I called them a couple months ago, and that was the best answer they could give me.
    There are also some trails down by Pueblo, but I don't know exactly where.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I live in Penrose and commute to the Springs for work Mon thru Friday...I'm building trails at my place in Penrose. From 6 miles north of Penrose proper to central Colorado Springs takes me an average of right at 48 minutes.

There are no trails in/around Penrose (except for mine). Pueblo reservoir is about 45 minutes to the east and has some good riding. Beulah (45 minutes south)...I've heard has some outstanding trails that hardly anyone knows about.

A buddy of mine did some exploring around Canyon city and found some great trails (only 15-20 minutes west of Penrose). The Mountain Biking Colorado Springs book has some trails listed that I'll be exploring as time allows (renovating my house right now is sucking all my weekends up). I've ridden the Tanner Stultz loop...don't even THINK about that one...it's been destroyed by ATVs. Nothing more than a very long and steep climb that is so rutted and lose as to be nearly unrideable.

As far as temps go...Penrose is "warmer", but on the daily commute I only see 2-3 degrees difference, though it has rarely been as much as 10 degrees warmer. Another thing on the temperature...when the humidity is NORMALLY in the single digits...a few degrees on the temp scale really don't matter much in the overall feel. Yesterday peaked at about 82...with humidity in the 90's (incredible rare here!)...it was MUGGY.

Darn right about the rain recently...unbelievable, thought I'd moved to Seattle!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

ss poser
    aunt says aug temps get into the 100's in perose... so, how far would we have to drive to get higher up & cooler temps?