Velocipede Jockey

Riding with my dog

Any one know good places to take your dog riding with you? Where's a place near the front ranger where we can go with out being hassled or fined? Lets hear everyone's ideas?

I have a german short haired pointer that love and needs to run!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by velocipede jockey
    Any one know good places to take your dog riding with you? Where's a place near the front ranger where we can go with out being hassled or fined? Lets hear everyone's ideas?

I have a german short haired pointer that love and needs to run!
    The trails around 128/93 are almost all off leash and there's a fair amount of water around. That's where I usually take mine this time of year.

Velocipede Jockey
    awsome! where is 128/93 exactly?

Perpetually single track
    awsome! where is 128/93 exactly?
    Before you can legally ride there, you need to get an off leash doggie tag from Boulder Mountain parks (to prove you have control of your dog)...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.166168&z=13

someone more industrious than me can find you a trail map link and a link for the dog tag....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Come on, it's Colorado so you should ignore all signs that say no dogs--everyone else does!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What, sometime I ride with a little pony...that doesn't have hooves.

Velocipede Jockey
    i agree about the ignore the signs its colorado, but it seems like some of the hikers freak out! I have been stopped by open space people on green mtn, in white ranch park, and lair o the bear. I just sucks because my dog stays with me the whole time as long as im moving. she ran up behind a hiker and almost gave her a heart attack! I could believe it, the womens yell at me while i ride away.

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    i agree about the ignore the signs its colorado, but it seems like some of the hikers freak out! I have been stopped by open space people on green mtn, in white ranch park, and lair o the bear. I just sucks because my dog stays with me the whole time as long as im moving. she ran up behind a hiker and almost gave her a heart attack! I could believe it, the womens yell at me while i ride away.
    It is irresponsible on your part. How does the hiker know that you have control of your dog? People on the trail do not know you or your dog. The problem is that everyone says they have control and so few actually do.

Yes, I have a dog, but she only goes off leash in approved places.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn W.
    Yes, I have a dog, but she only goes off leash in approved places.
    Good job - wish there were more like you out there.
    And yes, I do like dogs. I can't really take my Great Dane riding with me though!!
    Old Codger

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Come on, it's Colorado so you should ignore all signs that say no dogs--everyone else does!
    classic

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I don't think I want to tell you the good places to ride with a dog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Good work dude. You managed to make both bikers and dog owners look bad. It's not easy to get both groups in one stupid move. If you wonder why dogs aren't allowed off leash more areas, its because of people that can't keep their dogs from running up and scaring other trail users. But at least you made up for it by being a biker that pissed someone off, and then just rode off.

Actually, I think I gave you some bad advice before. It doesn't look like there are off leash trails...anywhere.

Respect the mustache
    Come on down to Lake Pueblo during the week. I go riding with my pit/lab mix for 20 miles, no one cares, get a lot of positivity from everyone I meet. All the rangers I have ever come across at the parking areas never even look twice.

Velocipede Jockey
    Ill hit you up next time i come down to pueblo, and we can ride with the dogs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn W.
    It is irresponsible on your part.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would like to add a third concern to being hassled or fined.

My american bulldog greatly enjoys other dogs that are on leash. That said, if an off leash dog charges at my wife while she is hiking him he can perceive it as a threat as he is protective of her when it comes to out of control dogs. That person may not have an intact dog for long. Not a threat, I am just saying you don't know how other dogs or people might react when a well intentioned dog exuberantly runs at others. I know my dog is not the only one that reacts in this way to charging dogs that are on the trails.

She is on the front range trails (with leash laws) every weekend. Just something to think about.

I would recommend sticking to trails that are designated offleash. There is at least one I know about just south of Breck. Do some research and I am sure you will find a few.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding with my dog-bman.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smithrider; 05-01-2010 at 09:14 AM.

friend of Apex
    National Forest
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Respect the mustache
    Intact? No thanks I had my dog spayed a long time ago.