k2x
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Riding in Grandby other than Grandby Ranch?

I'm going to be in Grandby this weekend for some Shinanigans on the lake and want to squeeze a good ride in with the GF before we leave for home Sunday morning. I was looking for some trail recommendations outside the park. Or, is there uphill riding at the park? I'm saving for a new SB66C..so I don't want to drop any cash if I don't have to....

Thanks!

Awesomist™
    There is uphill riding at the park, see the folks in the bike shop for a map. There's actually TONS of riding all over the area, the local bike shops or searching here for stuff in/near Winter Park should turn up a lot.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

k2x
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've rode a little in Frasier/Winter Park. I was hoping to find some new trails a little closer to Granby. I'll hit up the LBS for info. Thanks!

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by k2x View Post
    I've rode a little in Frasier/Winter Park. I was hoping to find some new trails a little closer to Granby. I'll hit up the LBS for info. Thanks!
    I think the bike park shop has XC maps that show all the trails off the backside of Granby Ranch. I think. Oh yeah... then of course there's THIS: Bike Granby Ranch Colorado | Trail Map and Mountain Stats | Biking, Mountain Biking | Trails Colorado - Granby Ranch

Punch it, Chewie.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Piggy backing on this thread: will be up at Grand Lake for a bachelor party and want to ride (and don't want to ride lifts). Is there any riding up that way?

k2x
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    Piggy backing on this thread: will be up at Grand Lake for a bachelor party and want to ride (and don't want to ride lifts). Is there any riding up that way?
    It sounds like you can ride the park. There are cross country trails that access the downhill trails. Full Trucker posted a link to the trail map. Looks sick! I was just watching a YouTube video of Silky Johnson and the comments indicated the black diamond trails are closed due to lack of maintenance.

ride
    Check out the Stillwater Rec area just south and west of Grand Lake. It's a mixed use/moto area but there's some damn fine riding in there. A good loop is to go up the North Supply Route to top of the ridge, Wolverine down the other side, then back around on Gilsonite. Big ride with great singletrack, SSV type rock gardens, amazing views.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

contains quinine
    Strawberry and Doe trails are good.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by k2x View Post
    It sounds like you can ride the park. There are cross country trails that access the downhill trails. Full Trucker posted a link to the trail map. Looks sick! I was just watching a YouTube video of Silky Johnson and the comments indicated the black diamond trails are closed due to lack of maintenance.
    Staying away from the park. Busted myself up pretty bad there last year, so that place has bad juju for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Check out the Stillwater Rec area just south and west of Grand Lake. It's a mixed use/moto area but there's some damn fine riding in there. A good loop is to go up the North Supply Route to top of the ridge, Wolverine down the other side, then back around on Gilsonite. Big ride with great singletrack, SSV type rock gardens, amazing views.
    Thanks!

My cup runneth over
    Riding in Grandby other than Grandby Ranch?-photo-3-.jpgI was in Granby two weekends ago and didn't ride the park much. The xc trails off to the side of the park (and on the map) were good for a couple of hours riding - don't be deceived by the (non-park) black trails - none of the xc black trails were technically challenging (slightly disappointing actually). Something else I did that you may want to consider is the Granby to Fraser trail which runs right past the park. It's a little bit of a weird mix of joining different trails (including 'groomed' gravel bike path), single track, bike paths and dirt and gravel roads. I did an out and back from Granby to Fraser on the trails and did some of the Fraser trails in the middle (Flume and a couple of others before heading back). Ironically, despite the distance (40+ miles) there was only about 3,000 feet of elevation gain (probably just as well in my case). I didn't take a lot of pictures - but here's one of the single track between the bike park and Tabernash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Strawberry and Doe trails are good.
    Any beta on where to park and how to do the loop? I've heard its a good one!
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Now older but less slow!

Riding in Grandby other than Grandby Ranch?

You can try the Grand Lake trails if you want to stay away from Winter Park. I wasn't expecting much from these trails but I was pleasantly surprised and had a good time on them.

http://www.grandlakerecreation.com/P...trailMapSm.pdf

mtbr member
    Piggy-backing on other questions in this thread... We're headed to the WP-Granby area next week (from the low-flat midwest) and I'm wondering what is recommended for newbies/kids in this area. 3 kids (9, 10, 12) that love to ride but aren't used to huge elevation gains (actually, none of us are!). We're planning to ride some of the XC trails at Granby Ranch one day, and looking for at least one other spot that will give us a few fun hours.

How's the elevation/level of difficulty at Grand Lake?

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    Piggy-backing on other questions in this thread... We're headed to the WP-Granby area next week (from the low-flat midwest) and I'm wondering what is recommended for newbies/kids in this area. 3 kids (9, 10, 12) that love to ride but aren't used to huge elevation gains (actually, none of us are!). We're planning to ride some of the XC trails at Granby Ranch one day, and looking for at least one other spot that will give us a few fun hours.

Fraser trails seem well suited to family rides - ride the dirt road up and then come down the Flume trail (two bike shops in Fraser with free maps). Even more modest is to do the dirt path from White Mountain ranch to Tabernash or to Fraser

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a map of the strawberry loop that everyone keeps talking about in Grandby? I'm heading to steamboat Friday for a week and want to do stop for a bike ride on the way up. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    So I took the fam to Granby Ranch last Thursday. I talked to the guys in the bike shop there about trail recommendations (Jaime and Michael were really helpful), and we rode some of the easier XC trails. Our midwest lungs weren't well suited for the climbing, so the kids did a lot of hike-a-bike to get up to the top of the ridgeline. Once on top we worked our way back down and everyone had more fun. I'm planning on posting some photos and maybe a video clip later today in the Riding with Kids forum.

It was interesting that neither of the guys knew about the Strawberry/Doe loop. I couldn't remember exactly where it was when I was talking to them, and its not on the map that the bike shops have of the WP/Frasier/Granby area.

mtbr member
    Thats because its a secret. shhhh!

This thread gives more info on Strawberry. The trail is described in this book, which someone on this board gave a sweet review of.

Last but not least, here are directions to the TH. Trail starts behind the Lonesome hut sign. Best to do the lollipop clockwise - trails are very well marked.

Take US Hwy 40 west over Berthoud Pass past Fraser, between mile markers 224 and 225 (closer to 224), turn east on CR 83. Follow CR 83 for .4 miles to the fork. Turn left on CR 84, which turns into FDR 129. Follow CR 84 (FDR 129) for 3.9 miles to a pullout on the left and the High Lonesome Hut sign.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post

For those with kids or just vertically challenged, Creekside and Flume on the south side of Hwy40 in Fraser or the old Idlewild XC Ski area on the north side are both great areas to take kids and/or those not wanting to huff and puff. My 9 and 11 yr olds like both of them and we have taken never evers with us and they had a good time as well.

mtbr member
    Thank you Slcdawg!! I appreciate it! Excited to do a new trail in the area.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the recommendation, we did a variation of this. We started on Gilsonite (the part that isn't part of a loop?), biked out to Wolverine, and biked/pushed up to the high point, then turned around for an out and back. Not a ton of mileage, but a lot of vert and a smoking downhill.

Awesomist™
    I was looking at maps and realized I've ridden some stuff just a bit north and west of this trail network. I've ridden up Illinois Creek, then west on Willow Creek for a ways. Turned around and came back past Illinois Creek and then descended Bill Creek. Pretty fun trails, mixed use so you get some moto traffic but a fine mix of wide trail and single track. Could be done as a necktie starting at Willow Creek TH on Hwy 125. There also looks like there might be some fun multi-use stuff to the west of Hwy 125 up near there?

I also rode in the Tabernash/Meadow Creek area this past weekend, summary here: Granby Beta

Punch it, Chewie.