Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding form...

mtbr member
    May 2007

Riding form...

So here is the story..

For a solid ten years, plus or minus a few months, I had ridden my 99 fsr in mostly stock form suspension wise, wheel set wise, and brake wise.. (never had a problem pushing the front end)

Now fast forward to this season..

(longer travel fork, bb7's and mavic 717's w/xt hubs etc..)

Now I find myself hunting for a setup that wont leave me pushing my front end all the damn time through corners (fast or slow)

I am wondering if i need to also finally junk my sid "dual air" rear shock, and find somethign a lil newer...

Any suggestions, I have this in the front range section because obviously that is were I ride..

Thanks in Advance guys..

here is a pic pre-brake install..

contains quinine
    As much as I'd love to say its the lock... maybe its the fork?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    As much as I'd love to say its the lock... maybe its the fork?
    your frame probably wasn't designed for that much front end travel

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am still playing with certain air settings on the fork, and rebound settings.. etc..

I would hate to say my judy SL was more fluid than this unit...

luckily my frame has some stress cracks near the rear shock mounts I have been meaning to get looked at for a frame "upgrade"

had bike since new, and still have receipt, so i guess we will see..

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    By pushing you mean understeer? I.e. front wheel not wanting to turn? I would try a shorter stem which will allow you to weight the front end more easily without feeling like you're going to go over the bars.

Anyway that geometry looks fine - not raked out at all...I wouldn't worry about the travel but those stress cracks?? Time for a new frame!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah its pushing the front, as in UNDER steer..

thanks for the info

Yeah at Mt Falcon, about 8 years ago I hit a water bar and landed smooth (or so I thought) and well, the bolt that holds the shock on the frame side snapped, sending me through the air after my landing, super man style..

Shortly there after I had to fly to Alaska for my summer job as a commercial fisherman, and played fight on the phone with Bi-village to get a new frame, and they offered me a lesser model, and I told em to shove it.. Hopefully it goes better this time around..

Never had an issue with the cracks.. Just pushing the front.. man that is sketchy...
    Last edited by meat-market; 08-04-2008 at 09:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds backwards but understeer is when your front wheel slides so you don't turn as much as you intend...oversteer is the opposite, you turn more than you intend, i.e the back slides out. Much preferred!!

But I digress, I suspect the longer fork shifted your weight back and is causing this. Less traction on the front end is the culprit. You might also try a bigger front tire run at a lower PSI. You'll probably like how that smooths out the Front Range sharp edged rocks too!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hahaah i am an idiot, as an old racer i cant believe i just wrote over instead of under..

hahahaha... (kicks self in head)

yeah UNDER steer.. lol

mtbr member
    May 2007
    cracks

i would have taken a pic of the other side, but a washer covers most of the cracks on that side..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    actually now that i think about it, i switched from straight carbon bars to carbon risers,
    now that i have the riser bars, i should prolly get a shorter stem..

Many heads are better than one..

thanks!

-meat

..ouch
    On the second pic, is that a crack running along the thin edge of the metal? If so, good luck with warranty, they may blame that on overtightening of the shock bolt.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    On the second pic, is that a crack running along the thin edge of the metal? If so, good luck with warranty, they may blame that on overtightening of the shock bolt.
    i never touched it or removed it, all (warranty) work was done by bicycle village, when the mount snapped, it caused the mount too "V" causing the mark you see to the right of the bolt...

they tried to cheap out on it in 2000, so i would expect nothing less today... (i mean the bike was brand new and they still would not offer me an equal value frame..

specialized service sucked back then, and i am sure it hasn't gotten any better in 8 years...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a 99 fsr Elite with a Risse Racing rear triangle, 5.5 inch travel and a 140mm fork and it rides very nice, no plowing thru turns. Try a riser stem and riser bars that might help. I've owned this bike since 01 and love it. Hope you get her dialed in, i love seeing these bikes on the trails. CHEERS.....................
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by meat-market
    i never touched it or removed it, all work was done by bicycle village, when the mount snapped, it caused the mount too "V" causing the mark you see to the right of the bolt...
    Ah.. in that case, good luck dealing with BV (and their burger flipping, dime store mechanic staff).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Ah.. in that case, good luck dealing with BV (and their burger flipping, dime store mechanic staff).
    nah i know better to walk in there ever again, If this thing ever breaks, it going on my wall as art..

as you can see by this pic, my garage is stocked, and the bike hasn't seen a dime store mechanic in years..

I just never had any reason what-so-ever to want to pull that piece off..

(bike was originally purchased from Summit City Cycles Ft Wayne Indiana, Aug 1999)
    Last edited by meat-market; 08-04-2008 at 11:02 PM.

skillz to pay billz
    warranty on a 10 yo bike?

Slopestyle Rider
    This thread delivers bro... you got Skip Canfield to reply.

BTW Skip, do you guys plan on making a short travel slopestylish bike? I know a guy *cough* who can trick a little and would love to ride one...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    warranty on a 10 yo bike?
    last i checked lifetime frame warranty meant lifetime..

I've seen beat to **** specialized frames get replaced no questions asked, (5+years old) but then again it wasn't my frame, so of course it went smooth..

skillz to pay billz
    sorry, did not realize it was lifetime, carry on

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    BTW Skip, do you guys plan on making a short travel slopestylish bike? I know a guy *cough* who can trick a little and would love to ride one...
    You may as well ask Madeleine McCain about her energy policy.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This thread delivers bro... you got Skip Canfield to reply.

Oh, So Interesting!
    With a longer fork and riser bars, you'll need to weight the front end more to achieve the same weight distribution you had before. Lean further forward and lower your cg by keeping your elbows out, and you can move your cg further forward by moving your knees forward as well. Bike doesn't look too raked out, imo...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by skip canfield
    I meant, are you guys ever planning on a 5"ish bike (similar to the Balance)?

I'd love to ride one.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    I meant, are you guys ever planning on a 5"ish bike (similar to the Balance)?

I'd love to ride one.
    My point with the Madeleine McCain comment was that, Just as Madeleine McCain has no thoughts on energy policy - Skip Canfield probably knows nothing about the plans of Chris or Lance Canfield as far as new bikes go.

You're barking up the wrong tree.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    My point with the Madeleine McCain comment was that, Just as Madeleine McCain has no thoughts on energy policy - Skip Canfield probably knows nothing about the plans of Chris or Lance Canfield as far as new bikes go.

You're barking up the wrong tree.
    you are correct, I am not part of THAT Canfield family. I would'nt mind though, couple of new bikes from them. YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast